Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What shoes do you wear?

OK. When I first started riding, my hands hurt. So I got some gloves, learned to let go of the "death grip" and change positions frequently. Now my hands don't hurt.

Got my saddle adjusted a bit the other day, and now I'm comfie down there, too.

Now my feet hurt. I think it's because I'm really flexible and after a couple of hours of pedaling, they just get too stretched out of shape. I have Wellgo Alloy/nylon ATB pedals, the kind with all the teeth to grip the soles of your shoes. Nothing fancy, like clipless.

So what kind of shoes should I wear? I tried wearing some athletic shoes, but almost fell when the laces got hooked on the pedal. But my slip-on casual shoes just don't give me enough support. Suggestions?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try MTB bike shoes. They will give you a firm platform which is essential to foot comfort.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switch back and forth between a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators hiking shoes and New Balance 748 Country Walkers. Both very good quality shoes and great for hiking - probably the best shoes I've ever owned. Both have good ventilation and are fairly lightweight. The Merrell's sole is a bit stiffer. They have long'ish laces but I've never had any problems with those getting into my chain or pedal.

They both come in wide sizes, which I find more comfortable.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I need to swap out my regular tie laces for some elastic laces? I have a good pair of the newer, light hiking/walking shoes. But I am a klutz. Since I've been riding, my legs are all beaten up, bruised, and scratched like they were when I was an 8-year old tomboy! Feels rather liberating, actually.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a shoe with a fairly rigid sole for biking and Biking shoes are best. Of course then comes the Style- and colour and what Type of Clipless pedals to get to go with them but Go to a bike shop and check out the SPD shoes. They will at a later date allow you to fit clipless pedals if you wish but the MTB type SPD shoe work on bikes- allow you to walk- and do not cost too much.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    You need a shoe with a fairly rigid sole for biking and Biking shoes are best. Of course then comes the Style- and colour and what Type of Clipless pedals to get to go with them but Go to a bike shop and check out the SPD shoes. They will at a later date allow you to fit clipless pedals if you wish but the MTB type SPD shoe work on bikes- allow you to walk- and do not cost too much.
    +1

There are entry level MTB shoes with soles that are suited for walking. The first level up from base usually has some sort of velcro strap to control the laces and keep them out of the chain/crankset.

As Stapfam noted, the stiffness of the sole is important to a cyclist. All of the force of pedaling comes down through the ankle and is transfered to the ball of the foot at the expense of the Plantar tendons. Cycling specific shoes reinforce this area of the sole to assist the foot in getting this force across the foot without damage to the tendons. MTB shoes without cleats work fine on platform pedals and those specified as touring or sport shoes are even walkable. The latter is done because the rocker (curved area below the ball of the foot) is large and allows the heel to lift while walking even though the sole has very little flex.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since your feet are so important to cycling and hurting feet can ruin a ride, I spend alittle money on my shoes and get something good. I am a great fan of Sidi's. Even brand new they feel comfortable. I've used both the road shoes (Genius) and the MTB (Dominator). Tried other shoes but always come back to Sidis.

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for cycling shoes. If you don't want to ride clipless, then I'd still recommend the MTB-style shoes because 1)you don't need to install cleats and 2) you can walk in them and 3) they have stiffeners in the soles to distribute the forces from the pedal across a larger area of the foot. I don't think there is any point to road shoes without cleats.

-soma5

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody! Looks like another trip to the LBS or REI. Darn! Will this shopping ever end? (Hope not! )

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shimano makes a "touring shoe" that can be used with clipless or platform pedals.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Thanks everybody! Looks like another trip to the LBS or REI. Darn! Will this shopping ever end? (Hope not! )
    Thought you liked Shopping. I have the Basic Shimano shoe and just tuck the laces in but some have a Velcro strap covering the laces. Saves on laces.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dislike shopping? Moi?

bac
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Try MTB bike shoes. They will give you a firm platform which is essential to foot comfort.
    +1 for sure. Too much flex can be VERY tough on your feet.

... Brad

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go to REI, then check out the Merrell Moab I suggested. I've ridden hundreds of miles in them this year, on platform pedals, without the slightest foot pain. And they are great for walking around and hiking. Nice lightweight hiker with good ventilation for cooling hot feet.

http://www.rei.com/product/748515

They also make them in a mid-height shoe.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised no one has recommended Florschiems yet.

Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course!

The shoes of Champions!

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Lake MX-101 shoes. Look pretty "normal" and the treads aren't the super heavy lugged soles found on some mountain shoes. And if you decide to go clipless, they work well with my Crank Brothers Candy C pedals. Fairly stiff, but not overly stiff for a little bit of walking.

I was limited in my choices because I need wide shoes, and these fit the bill for me.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another observation on Cycling shoes.

There have been several postings about a hot spot on the foot when using SPD pedals. I have used Clipless for 12 years and Shimano pedals for at least the last 8.

I have never noticed a hotspot on my feet in all that time- Until----

I recently got the Shimano A 520 pedals with the new bike and these are different to the M520's in that they have a longer base to rest the foot on. I have ridden the new bike solely for the last 2 months with these new pedals. couple of weeks ago I went back to the old bike with the Shorter M520's on and had a Dull ache on the ball of my foot. It would appear that not only do you require a firm sole on the shoe- If you are doing long rides- then it is advisable to have a good size base on the pedal to rest your foot on.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wondering about shoes too, although I'm not to the point I can justify buying them. But I was wondering if there is something like a Sweet Spot lace cover for bicycle shoes.

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with carbon sole, Shimano SH R214 road shoe with SPD SL clipless. As someone explained in a review, the shoe must fit properly and the foot should not move around in it. You lose power this way and can cause pain in your foot. Hotspots are caused by poor fit/incompatible footbed design, by the sole or cheap ill fitting or worn out insoles. Your shoes should fit like a glove. Hotspots generally occur not because of the soles rigidity but by a lack of support behind the cleat.

When we bought our first tandem I bought my shoes because a bike shop usually will give you big discounts on extras when buying a bike. I tried on every style shoe in the store in my size to make sure of the right one. This shoe fit perfectly. On long rides of 100 miles or more, my feet will sometimes start to get some numbness in the ball of my foot. This is more from technique than anything. If I make myself start pulling only for awhile, the numbness quickly goes away. This issue is slowing going away as I have improved my pedal stroke.

Shoes are a big issue. You have to ask yourself what kind of riding will you be doing? What kind of distances? Will you be getting off the bike and walking around during your rides? Are you riding roads or trails, clips or clipless? There are a lot of good shoes suggested here. Think about if the kind of riding the suggester does is comparable to what you are doing. Make sure the shoe you choose fits perfectly. Don't settle for anything less.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgallagh View Post
    Are you riding roads or trails, clips or clipless? There are a lot of good shoes suggested here.
    I have found the suggestions somewhat interesting, considering that he said he used ATB platform pedals.

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I have found the suggestions somewhat interesting, considering that he said he used ATB platform pedals.
    He's a she.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't keep track of genders without pictures.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And given this info, my REI suggestion changes to:

http://www.rei.com/product/747732

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I can't keep track of genders without pictures.
    I was thinking the same thing. Just added an avatar!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast