Thread: Colonoscopy

My Bikes
    2006 Cannondale CAAD8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colonoscopy

Hey guys, I have to go in for a colonoscopy and am wondering how many of you had it done? I am not looking forward to it. How uncomfortable is the procedure? I got a whole pamphlet from my doctor about eating lighter 2 - 3 days before and the day before only clear liquids and the medicine Miralax mixed with diet snapple and then at night Dulcolax.

Any info about your experiences would be great. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't we just talk about this?
    Get a colonoscopy

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one last year and there is nothing to it. I drank the stuff the afternoon and evening before to clean me out. That may have been the worst part of it. The next day, took me into the procedure room, they doped me up, the nurse said that she'd be by my side the entire time as they may have to move me around a bit, and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery and asking my sister, who was my driver for the day, how did I get here? I have absolutely no memory of anything during the procedure.

Like you, I too had been dreading it, but I think people's fears and concerns are way overblown.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The procedure is a non event. The stuff you drink the day before is horrific. I could not get it all to stay down.......Mine is scheduled for a few weeks from now.

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there, done that. Recently. The most annoying thing was waiting 2 hours until my wife could get there and drive me home. The sedation anesthesia worked like a charm. I received 3 largish pics of the innards, suitable for desk top framing. Clean bill of health.
    This space open

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had it done earlier this year. The procedure itself was a non-event. No pain, no discomfort. The prep is the worst part, but it goes by fast. Great that you're getting this done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than the preparation the day before, the test itself was nothing. In fact I did a 25 mile ride on the clear liquids only day. Dr said there was no problem with my energy / elecrolyte drinks. In fact the directions for the laxitive powder said to mix it into a gallon of gatorade. I loved the anesthetic. You might be afraid to sneeze for a few days afterwards. :-)

My Bikes
    Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had mine Monday. I'd rather have a colonoscopy than a root canal. Procedures vary, but like the others say, the prep to clean the bowel is the most gruesome thing. My regimen was to eat low fiber for 2 days, then clear liquids for a day, then take 2 batches of their super laxative (Moviprep) in the evening before. My stuff was two, 1 liter batches of the salty-sweet goopy lemony fluid, each followed by 16 oz chasers of clear fluids. A lot of crap to drink, and I COULD NOT finish the last 16 oz. It turned out to be plenty, tho. People differ, but the intent seems to be to give you super diarrhea at least twice to remove all solids until you are passing only fairly clean liquid. The magic stuff has salts in it to keep your body electrolytes normal in spite of your passing a lot of fluid. The prep affects everyone differently, and I also got 2 nausea pills if needed. Then you can't take anything but clear fluids until the procedure, so you might get hungry, etc.

Now, the procedure itself was a breeze, anticlimactic. My clinic gives an IV drip, and promises mild sedation plus pain opiate, where you may get drowsy and forgetful, but not unconscious. They said you can ask the doctor to increase the drip anytime. In my case, I think they gave me the usual, and I stayed up chatting with the doc about cycling (my knee was bandaged from falling over)! Absolutely no pain, but I could feel a little pressure where the scope wiggles around your corners. I watched the screen, chatted, and he was done (found nothing wrong). Asked for copies of the pix. I felt fine, but they give you about 30 mins. under watch to let you come down. The fellow after me was mumbling "where am I?..." as they told him they were already done and wheeling him out! I guess he asked for the full monty.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, a couple things. Someone needs to drive you home, and I don't recommend making any plans for the rest of the day, especially riding. The stuff they give you to sedate or knock you out for the procedure take some time to leave your system. I felt a bit wiped out that day, but back to work the next day.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, we did already talk about this, but it probably merits another discussion. I'll be scheduling mine in another month. I've been told the same as everyone else: The procedure is no problem, as you are put on some pretty good numbing stuff. The prep the day before is a little scary though, and concerns me, of course. And yes, you cannot drive yourself at all. I've been told that the place where this will take place, (BU Medical) will not discharge you, unless you are with someone, even if you have come in a cab.

The good news is that doctors can tell a lot from a good colonscopy. Colon cancer has become one of the most common types of cancer in this country. If they can spot it, and head it off with this procedure, I guess it's a good thing.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Oh, a couple things. Someone needs to drive you home, and I don't recommend making any plans for the rest of the day, especially riding. The stuff they give you to sedate or knock you out for the procedure take some time to leave your system. I felt a bit wiped out that day, but back to work the next day.

+500000. The cocktail they give you is deceptive. You're knocked out for the procedure, and when you wake up, you won't remember it, and you won't be puking your guts out like with general anesthesia. You'll think you're fully cognitive, but trust me (and all of us in here who've had it), you won't be "right" until the next morning, when you'll wake up feeling like a million bucks.

Whatever you do, don't: drive, ride your bike, use any kind of machinery or power tools, get up on ladders, do your taxes, or anything else that could take any amount of motor or cognitive skill. You'll think you're OK, but won't be. It's a great night for popcorn, snugglin' with yer honey, and a good game or a movie on TV.

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drank the stuff, pooped my innards out, went in and knew nothing once they gave me the anasthetic. Not a prob!

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLover View Post
    +500000. The cocktail they give you is deceptive. You're knocked out for the procedure, and when you wake up, you won't remember it, and you won't be puking your guts out like with general anesthesia. You'll think you're fully cognitive, but trust me (and all of us in here who've had it), you won't be "right" until the next morning, when you'll wake up feeling like a million bucks.
    Plus, if they tell you anything that you are supposed to remember, ask them to write it down because you won't remember what they tell you once you leave.

You will have the best nap you have had in a long time. Good luck. And just remember, this too, shall pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I asked about this months ago in this thread........

Colonoscopy.........Way OT

The procedure is a snap...you are usually asleep. The prep, at least in my case, was pretty disgusting but doable. The literature said I could only drink 'clear' liquids but I was allowed to drink Pepsi which I can live on, so even the day before wasn't too bad.

For me it is uncomfortable to wait for the doctors report, which takes a few days but that is natural. We all probably tend to worry while waiting for very serious news.

The important thing is that colon cancer is supposedly largely preventable if people don't put off getting checked.

Good luck and let us know the results.

My Bikes
    2006 Cannondale CAAD8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Great that you're getting this done.

Yea I hope everything is okay. I am actually only 20 years old but I figured you guys would have the most experience I have a ride home and wont be riding my bike at all. I have been off it for like 2 months already trying to figure out whats going on here.

And thanks for the replies. I did a search but only got a chance to read some of the replies. I have heard mixed things about whether your awake or out but it seems like it should be no big deal. I am not worried about the diet part and clear liquids. Mostly concerned about the actual procedure.

Another question. If I don't eat I usually get very dizzy and lightheaded. I am worried about if I dont eat all day and then have to go under anestesia if I will feel alright. I guess I will check with the doctor.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 21 y.o. nephew who also got examined as he might have a touch of Crohn's.

Apparently procedures and people vary. Some people are out like a light, and some people watch the whole thing and chat with the doc. Sometimes you have a choice and you just tell the doc.

Some people probably have trouble with not eating solid food for a day. My directions for the last 24 hours were for clear fluids up til 3 hours before the procedure. They gave a whole list of approved clear fluids, including broths, fruit juices, Gatorade, bear & wine, coffee, tea, jello, hard candies etc. so long as they did not have artificial red/purple food dye. Check your instructions or call them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was supposed to have a colonoscopy about a month ago. I went in for the preliminary chat with the doc. Was so unimpressed by the guy that I decided to skip it for another year. In the area where I live, physician's jobs seem to be going begging. The doc I spoke to was Chinese, raised in the Philippines. Didn't say where he'd gone to med. school but I think he would have if it had been in the U.S. The local gastroenterology clinic has about a dozen physicians working for it. They're in a new building. I was in one of their rooms, a box, where I could hear *every word* of the conversation between the doctor and the patient in the next room. The doc left after talking with me. Fifteen minutes later the nurse came in to ask if I wanted to watch a video of a colonoscopy while she got my paperwork ready. I told her to fuggedaboutit. I wasn't going to do the procedure. She gave me a quizzical look. The other day, got the bill for the visit: $208 for a ten-minute chat. Today on the radio I heard a Hollywood celebrity saying how everyone over 50 needs to get a colono-rectal exam. Yeah, it's a good idea, but it also must be a moneymaker for the beleaguered healthcare industry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone over 40 should have a colonscopy. It's as simple as that. Insurance pays when you're over 50 - if you're over 40 and under 50 I suggest inventing symptoms so your doctor will prescribe one, then insurance will pay. I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at 47, and if I'd had a colonscopy at 45 it would have saved me a world of grief. I'm 51 now, having survived (so far) colon cancer that spread to my liver (that makes it stage 4, with a 5-year survival rate of 30%). While others ride thier bike for fun and enjoyment, I ride out of fear of death and knowing that if the bast**d come back again, I'll be ready to fight it. The colonoscopy experience is nothing compared to the peace of mind it can, and should, bring you.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rideon7 View Post
    Today on the radio I heard a Hollywood celebrity saying how everyone over 50 needs to get a colono-rectal exam. Yeah, it's a good idea, but it also must be a moneymaker for the beleaguered healthcare industry.
    How I wish, how I wish.......

My Bikes
    Logo Tike, TourEasy Clone, Bentech SWB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add. Just go do it. It's nothing compared with the possible consequences of not being proactive.

Due to family history of colon cancer I've been having the procedure for a number of years on a regular basis.

It really is a non event and I can even manage the prep. The colon-lytely they use here is a bit like gatorade but not so nice after the first litre or so. Still if you drink a little and often it's not that bad.

Good advice already given here on not driving etc. Take that to heart as you will be slowed down.

Good luck

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about it. You take a very powerful laxative and then somebody shoves a three foot long flashlight up your butt. Why would that ever be a problem?

Actually, I just had my second one last Monday. Mildly unpleasant but nothing compared to colon cancer, which you basically eliminate from consideration via this procedure.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - the actual procedure was great fun... 'cleaning out' was the most time-consuming and not so fun...

- anyway, here's a repeat of my 'scopy:

- i found mine to be a delightful experience... my doctor is a Sikh, replete w/turban, beard and mustache...

- went for my procedure, got prepped, then wheeled into the exam room... i find the doc munching on a Happy Meal™ and reading the sports page of the local paper ... the two nurses are pinching each other, giggling, and playing grab-a**...

- one of the nurses looks at me w/the surgical cap and squeals, "Ooh! He looks like a Frenchie! Let's take his picture!" ... she grabs the business end of the scope, waggles it in front of my nose, and takes my picture...

- i don't remember a thing after that... except when waking up in the recovery room... my doc leans over, gives me a big smile, and says [in a very India-Brit accent], "Dood. You need to eat more fiber."

:-)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    Think about it. You take a very powerful laxative and then somebody shoves a three foot long flashlight up your butt. Why would that ever be a problem?

Actually, I just had my second one last Monday. Mildly unpleasant but nothing compared to colon cancer, which you basically eliminate from consideration via this procedure.
    They told me it's more like 5 feet. Makes you wonder - who was the first guy to be talked into trying this procedure....?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd bring this thread back up to give you a link to this articlehttp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071004/...xrSvxyWVME1vAI. Anyone who remains fearful of the colonscopy will soon have nothing to fear.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just do it! It's not bad, really.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast