Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Speaking of Wisconsin....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-07, 04:49 PM
Bike Curious....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was in the Midwest for business so I swung over to northern Wisconsin to visit my mother. She's got a neighbor who loves to mountain bike - and he has an extra bike for me to ride. Riding here is mostly on fire or snowmobile trails, not overly technical but fun nonetheless. Colors are starting to come in here, got some pictures.....

Bridge near the headwaters of the Wisconsin River....

Colors....

Taking a corner....

Taking stock....

Wisconsin River....
Old 09-23-07, 06:28 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, that's what it looks like. It was dark green until about 10 days ago, now there's just a touch of color. More color up where you were than down here in southern Wisconsin.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-25-07, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, we just got back from a 2 x 100 mile WI trail trip. Day one we did rock climbing and day two and three biking. It looked like your beautiful pictures but two days we had temperatures in the 80's and today it was F56 and raining hard. My wife was not amused. I told her she needs to get though. (She and I are 66)
What do you think she said?
Old 09-25-07, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Winter is close behind.
Old 09-25-07, 08:05 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
True, true. It can turn nasty by mid-November. Consider on Nov 16th the sunset is at 4:33 PM, avg high is 45, avg low is 25. Record low is 9 degrees.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-25-07, 08:59 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
True, true. It can turn nasty by mid-November. Consider on Nov 16th the sunset is at 4:33 PM, avg high is 45, avg low is 25. Record low is 9 degrees.
But there is hope, there is Global Warming.
Old 09-25-07, 09:02 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And we are wondering if global warming is already at work here. We've had 5 or 6 consecutive warmer than average winters. Last year it didn't turn cold, by Wisconsin standards, until close to Jan 1.

Old 09-26-07, 03:54 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
That looks to me like the North Woods section of Wisconsin. That's become one of my favorite places to bicycle. Were those pictures taken near Eagle River?
Old 09-26-07, 06:02 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
(Shhhh. Lets not tell anyone else about this)

Wisconsin is actually quite a horrid place with impolite people, lousy roads, and loads of rude city types from Chicago everywhere you go. Definitely stay away. Just horrible... Absolutely horrible... no need to visit... And those pictures were clearly doctored. Only Colorado can look like that. Everyone should go there. Yea, Colorado, that's where everybody should go...
Old 09-26-07, 06:35 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful scenery!

Those pictures make me want to leave work, load up the mountain bike and head to WI

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-26-07, 08:34 AM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That looks to me like the North Woods section of Wisconsin. That's become one of my favorite places to bicycle. Were those pictures taken near Eagle River?
Yep, just north of Eagle River, starting point of the ride was Conover, just south the UP. Weather was quite warm, ideal. I spent much of my mis-spent youth there (I grew up in central Wisconsin). Back in the day I would wander the woods on old logging or deer trails. Now, with the snowmobile such a big part of the economy there, there are much wider and groomed trails, maybe too groomed for me. Nice for biking though, I need to get back there more often, it does wonders to my soul.