Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I think I peaked

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I think I peaked

Old 09-23-07, 07:35 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I peaked

I spent all summer riding hard, averaging 150 or more miles per week since mid June. I rode 7 metric centuries, 1 75 miler and a full century. Now I am down to 60 miles/week with a few hours on the trainer. I went out today and did only 25 miles, the average speed was off by about 1mph. There is one last century in a few weeks and I don't know if I can get ready for it or if I even have time to do it. This is always a tuff time of the year - the leaves (and snow) will be falling in a few weeks
Old 09-23-07, 07:58 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At least you had a peak. I've been mediocre my entire life.
Old 09-24-07, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Do one long ride in the middle of the week, like a 70 miler. That means getting off work for a half day and starting out around 6:30 or 7 am. Then do another long ride over the weekend.
Old 09-24-07, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. Just can not get my average speed up. Maybe that is all there is in the tank and I should stop trying to catch the big dogs.
Old 09-24-07, 08:38 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
I have been wondering the same thing. Just can not get my average speed up. Maybe that is all there is in the tank and I should stop trying to catch the big dogs.
This site always has some good tips for cyclist. I did the interval training last winter and increased my average speed by 1.5 mph this year. I'm going to do it again this winter and hope for at least another mph Now I just need to do additional work on those hills

https://www.cptips.com/intervl.htm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-24-07, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I think it's the change of season and accumulated fatigue from hard rides all summer.

I rode a fairly quick double century on June 23 and felt just fine at the end and the day after. I rode
a shorter ride (160mi) yesterday at lower average speed and it hurt more than the double.
Old 09-24-07, 10:10 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Last week I played golf with an ex-professional Hockey player who is now in his early 50's. He is now playing in a "master's league". He said the guys in the league are all very deceptive like him. They are all a a lot slower than they look!!!

I know the feeling!!!