Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first 26 mile clipless test ride

Got my shoes over the weekend and both sets of clipless pedals:
    Shoes:
    http://tinyurl.com/36lk2a

Shimano A520:
    http://tinyurl.com/2nh3hx

CB Candy SL (blue):
    http://tinyurl.com/2qo442

I tried the A520s first. No falls or close encounters with the ground in my 26+ mile test in mostly rural areas. There were several times I had trouble clipping the left foot in when starting off.. sometimes to find the single sided pedal was inverted... and other times just because it took me a while to find the sweet spot. Meanwhile, I can pedal with these... even not being clipped in.

My first observation was that it felt good to have the connection to the bike. I've had several instances riding platforms where bumps in the road almost took my feet off the pedals. Secondly, I found that I could generally go up the hills faster and in a gear or two higher than normal... as long as I remembered to lift on the upstroke instead of just powering down on the downstroke like I've done all my life.

I also noticed that acceleration was notably improved with the ability to provide power on the upstroke, unlike on my platforms. Thus far it takes a conscious effort to power the upstroke.

All that being said, I felt like I got more of a workout with the clipless pedals than with the platforms.

For my type of riding, the clipless seem to provide a benefit for me.

Tomorrow, I plan to change out the A520s and try the CB Candy SL pedals. First though, I gotta change to a black pair because I don't like the Berry Blue color with my blue bike.

Clipping out turned out to be no big deal. I started out holding onto something in the garage while I tried to clip in and out a few times. Then a ride around the cul-de-sac with just one foot clipped in. Then a short ride around the neighborhood with both feet clipped in.

Thus far, riding clipless has been a total non-event even though I was expecting a 0 mph crash or two. I'd even planned to try them on my older hybrid first.. but didn't have a pedal wrench and my 15mm open end wrench was too large to get the hybrid's pedals off. So I chanced it on the new bike and all went well.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in how this goes for you. How about a progress report in a few weeks? Or after you decide which pedal? Or both?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now about pedalling on the Upstroke-

You are advised to set the pedals up with a bit less tension when you start on clipless. Makes it easier to get in and out of and still keeps you connected to the bike on all but the severest bumps. Now when you get to a flat bit of track or road- The inclination is to push a bit harder on the pedals. This is the time to practice one leg riding so you get that leg pedalling in a full circle. No need to take the other leg off the pedal but just use one leg. When it gets tired- change legs. Then start pedalling with both legs just using the upstroke. You won't be able to use either method for long till you get the muscles built up but a couple of weeks of 10 minutes per ride and those "Pulling" muscles will be attuned.

Then it is go out and ride- practicing a bit each ride and consciously thinking about the Pedalling in Circles bit. You know you have got it right and it is natural when you pull your foot out of the pedal on the upstroke. That is when you start torquing down the adjustment screw to tighten the pedals.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're having a positive experience. I can greatly appreciate the need to have the right color pedals........

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will like the Crank Bros pedals, I have them on all my bikes. Coupled with a pair of Sidi Dominators, they are dynamite and there is no worry about which side of the pedal is up.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on taking a big step toward efficient pedaling. The next step is road specific pedals for the rides where walking is less important than riding. (But as you will no doubt soon see, many here don't agree with me on this ).
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad your "first time" in clipless pedals was a positive experience. Now comes the hard truth -- there are just two kinds of folks who try clipless, those who have fallen while clipped in and those who will...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea Stepfam! Wish I'd thought of that when I first went "clipless!"
    Also, don't be afraid to grab your allen wrench and adjust them fairly loosely to start, then heavier later once you get used to them. I have two pair of shoes, one regular shoe and the other sandals, both with SPD's - one clips in heavily almost to the point of setting up a wreck and the other clips in lightly at the same setting. Can't figure that out........Any suggestions??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat View Post
    Also, don't be afraid to grab your allen wrench and adjust them fairly loosely to start, then heavier later once you get used to them. I have two pair of shoes, one regular shoe and the other sandals, both with SPD's - one clips in heavily almost to the point of setting up a wreck and the other clips in lightly at the same setting. Can't figure that out........Any suggestions??
    Are the shoe cleats worn about the same on both shoes?

Speedlever, the Crank Bros pedals will not have an adjustment for tension. They are usually a tiny bit harder to get clip into, but very easy to get out of.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG... I was thinking of you as I wrote this post. I remember reading that you came close to trying clipless but backed away.

I had a difficult time getting the blue Candy SLs exchanged for a black pair today. I'll try again tomorrow... after I ride.

I'll report my experiences here ... 0 mph crashes.. whatever. I figure some clipless newbie like me might appreciate the perspective.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stapfam,

Thanks for that tip. I'll definitely try that technique (and need to develop those muscles). Maybe that will help me start to overcome hills. I just run out of gas on them to this point. The ol' engine still needs some tuning up. I don't have to stop during the hill climb, but am not very fast. I have a granny gear and am not afraid to use it. Thanks to the friends who advised the triple in lieu of the compact double.

Regarding tension set-up... I backed that adjuster all the way to soft and then moved it one click firm. I had no issues with the cleats coming out of the pedals prematurely. I did sense a bit of a hot spot on my left foot. I probably need to make a bit of a positioning adjustment there.

How often do you check the screws on the cleats? Every ride?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    How often do you check the screws on the cleats? Every ride?
    I usually do for the first few rides. Once they don't move again, I just check them occassionally.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    I can greatly appreciate the need to have the right color pedals...
    Heheh. Just goes with the OCP and Fred components of my ride. I mean, really! What self-respecting OCPer would have clashing pedals?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School
    Now comes the hard truth -- there are just two kinds of folks who try clipless, those who have fallen while clipped in and those who will...
    Well... I would just do it and get it out of the way. But I don't think it works like that. Or maybe I'll get lucky and bypass that ritual of passage.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HopedaleHills,

I don't know if I should expect much difference between the A520s and the Candys or not. I tried clipping in with my hands holding the pedal and shoe and it seemed difficult. Not sure if I need to use the shim and/or trim my MTB shoes or not.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    The next step is road specific pedals for the rides where walking is less important than riding. (But as you will no doubt soon see, many here don't agree with me on this ).
    One step at a time, my friend. But I have to say that at this point, road specific pedals (and those hard soled slick shoes) have no appeal. But that could change.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One step at a time, my friend. But I have to say that at this point, road specific pedals (and those hard soled slick shoes) have no appeal. But that could change.
    That's why I said next step. These shoes aren't made for walking. (although they aren't nearly as hard to walk in as you might imagine).
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
    Once they don't move again, I just check them occassionally.
    Thanks for clarifying. For those who ride CB pedals, how do I know if I need the shim or not? If I'm having trouble clipping in, add the shim?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    That's why I said next step. These shoes aren't made for walking. (although they aren't nearly as hard to walk in as you might imagine).
    Above you mentioned road specific pedals... which I believe the A520s are. Are you meaning road shoes instead of MTB shoes?

What advantage do road shoes offer over MTB shoes?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat View Post
    I had the same problem with my sandals and regular shoes. It turned out to be different cleats on the shoes. Shimano listed both cleats as compatible for the pedal but they felt much different when clipping in and out.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had to add the shim on both pairs of my shoes for the CB pedals. The other thing about them is that it is easier to clip in if yuo don't try to stomp down on them but just start a normal forward pedaling motion with a little more push. They clip easier if the motion is forward/down rather than just down. After a while you don't even think about it.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tim. Hope to try the CBs tomorrow.

Did you add the shim because it was hard to clip in? Just curious what the shim is for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Above you mentioned road specific pedals... which I believe the A520s are. Are you meaning road shoes instead of MTB shoes?

What advantage do road shoes offer over MTB shoes?
    They are stiffer, lighter and are vented better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Secondly, I found that I could generally go up the hills faster and in a gear or two higher than normal... as long as I remembered to lift on the upstroke instead of just powering down on the downstroke like I've
    Clipless will allow you to do more than push down on the pedals and then pull them up. You can also pull through the bottom of the stroke and push them over the top. I think I can add more power by pulling through the bottom of the stroke than pulling up. I would follow stapfam's suggestion of pedaling with one leg, but I think you'll get more out of it if you actually do take the other foot off the pedal. Having only one foot connected forces you to focus on what just one leg is doing, and prevents you from subconsciously "cheating" with the other leg. It'll also give you good practice at reclipping while moving. Note that you should do this one legged spinning on quiet (neighborhood) roads, at a moderate speed, and in a gear that allows you to spin at a good cadence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for clarifying. For those who ride CB pedals, how do I know if I need the shim or not? If I'm having trouble clipping in, add the shim?
    That's how I'd judge it. The Candy pedlas look like they have more of the pedal clip exposed than my Smaty pedals do. The shim is plastic, so it compresses a bit anyway. Your shoes might have a different height tread than others, also.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast