Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who has both and why?

Who has a road bike and a mountain bike? And which one do you ride most? I have been looking at mountain bikes and but don't know if I use it enough to buy one. Tell me what you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It gives you more options where and when and what to ride. I wouldn't ride my road bike on the local MUP with my kids, nor would I like to do a longer, faster road ride with my wife on my MTB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got both. Actually, I now have 2 road bikes and one mountain bike. I ride the roadies way more than the mountain bike. Part of the reason is I would have to drive to any decent mountain bike trails. To ride the road bike, I just get on it and go. I find I can get a better workout riding on the roads than trails. Also, after doing a good amount of mountain bike riding in the past, I decided I really wasn't interested in all the technical stuff (riding over logs, across deep gullies, etc, so in the end, I was mostly just spinning in the woods instead of on the roads. Since the roads are more accessible for me, that's where I ride mostly. If I were near some really nice, long, trails, that could change...

Edit: leob1 reminded me about the kids. The mountain bike is the tow vehicle of choice for the third wheel that my older (4.5 years) daughter rides on.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used my mtb mostly on old fire roads and rail to trail. My road bike I ride on the local F1 track and some 100-300km rides on highway shoulders.

I recently bought a set of 26X11/8 Ultra Gaterskins and put them on the mtb bike and it turned into a 26" road rocket.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I startedMountain biking in 1990 and have always had mountain bikes- Done some Aggressive rides on the thing aswell and settled into doing Enduro riding- Basically Long distance offroad. Sometimes on Smoothish trails but in the area I live- there will always be hills. In 2002 I bought a Tandem- An offroad Tandem Of course. This works exceptionally well but this year I have lost my Co-Rider. I knew it was going to happen so prepared myself last year by getting a Road bike. And this year by getting another road bike. This is obviously used on the road- but where I live- There are still plenty of Road hills.

Can't really say That I have been offroad for about 6 months- But Winter is coming- The trails will be softer- My offroad skills will be to my benefit in that I can use them to get up Tricky ascents that stop the Young Turks in their tracks so It will get a few outings again shortly.

It does depend on your riding. Offroad is hard- I and others can vouch for that- But the sense of achievement is high. To me- there is not much in doing a fifty mile road ride on the flat- That is just exercise- Now throw in a few steep hills and it is getting better- A Mountain and it is Fun.

So If you want to get exercise- and save the aging body a bit- A road bike is fine. Want to get the Cardio vascular working- Get the adrenalyn pumping and have fun- Then Offroad for you- But make certain the body can take it.

I am just a bit too old for the aggressive offroading but Good cross country up a few hills and on tracks that require technique and skill I will be there. In the Meantime- I enjoy myself by taking in a few miles up hills on the road.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

bac
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tntom View Post
    Who has a road bike and a mountain bike? And which one do you ride most? I have been looking at mountain bikes and but don't know if I use it enough to buy one. Tell me what you think.
    I own 3 of each. Of course, I am of the opinion that one cannot own too many bikes! I try to ride all my machines on a regular basis, but I always get "hooked" on one of them for a while. Then, when I do jump on another machine, I ALWAYS wonder why I wasn't riding it instead!

I love the road, but if I HAD to do only one type of riding (road/mtb) ....... I'd have to choose the dirt.

... Brad

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 hardtail mtb, 1 no-suspension mtb, 2 tandems, 2 roadies, 1 singlespeed roadie, 2 touring-optimized roadies, 1 recombent, 1 commutter (nexus-7 rear, dynamo front, non-suspension frame), 6 or 7 more frames and pieces.

I use the hardtail for trail rides, commutter for commutting, roadies for roads, tourers for touring, recumbent for comfort, tandems with whomever is willing.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride mostly road, but a nice ride in the dirt is a great change of pace. Also, the mtb is fun in the wind, rain and snow.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two road bikes, a road tandem, a rigid MTB that is set up for casual road riding and a hardtail MTB set up for singletrack and trail riding. Overall I have ridden on the road about twice or more as often as offroad, but this past year has been more of an even split as I have been riding both types of ride regularly with my club. For a few months it was more offroad than on as I tried MTB racing for the first time this year.

I find both to be very entertaining and rewarding. Offroad riding is much more of a cardio workout as it involves so much steep climbing followed by fast downhills. There really isn't much relaxing while riding fast singletrack. But long road rides build endurance and burn off the fat. Road riding is generally much more relaxing.
    If someone held a *** to my head and forced me to choose, I would pick my road bike, but fortunately, I don't have to pick just one. So I choose to ride both.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a mountain bike - a Trek 820 - that I got essentially for free as a frequent-flyer-miles premium. I really wasn't interested in a mtb but since I was thinking about getting back into cycling, and since the price was right, I went ahead and got it.

As I do all my riding on the roads, I went ahead and bought a road bike - in my case a Surly Long Haul Trucker set up with 700 x 28 high pressure tires. I am absolutely satisfied with the LHT, and hardly ever ride anything else.

That being said, I am currently setting my Trek 820 up as a "winter" bike. I've already added lights and fenders. I probably will go ahead and switch to road-type tires. My thinking is that, during the winter months when it's dark and wet, I can still get some riding in withoug taking my LHT out into the nastys.

My Bikes
    Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both. I mostly ride the road bike as it is easier on the knees and offers a smoother, more controlled exercise. I ride the mtb with my son who has a mtb as well. We mostly ride trails (Briones R.P.) but sometimes mix things up such as climbing Mt. Diablo on the road and going down via the nice trail network.
    The mtb is the go-to bike for anything family oriented, it's versatile as is the equipment such as the shoes.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now have both. When I lived in Md., I only had a mtn.bike, as just a few miles up the road, in Pa., were some parks with some sweet singletrack and technical trails. When I moved to Ky., found that there were not as many trails close by, and the ones here are shorter in length, but more technical than the ones I was used to riding on. Also had several nearby rail-trails in Md-Pa., none around here. So after living here for a while, decided to get a road bike, which I now ride more than the mtn.bike. For me, it's a matter of convenience-I can ride the road bike right out of my garage, nearest mtn.bike trails are some distance away.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You wouldn't use a pitchfork to pick your nose, would you?

Coyote!
    I ride one cyclocross, a full-suspension mountain, and an old hard-tail (The Beater) mountain with slick(ish) tires. In a given week, I'll loop through all three and start back at the top of the lineup. This gives me lots of options what with access to back lanes, MUPs, trails, and (of all things) mountains. It also gives me lots of combinations for AT and VO2 training on all kinds of surfaces. So I'm on a bike every other day with hiking, running, and stretching on the days in between. . .oh and an occasional trip to the gym (ugh).

Yup, this is madness!! See, I've got this fear that if I ever slow down and find a "favorite chair" it'll be the end. AND, I'm easily bored with the same activity day after day, so it's three bikes, many surfaces, and several exercise alternatives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got both, but 99.9% of my riding is on the road with my road bikes. Come to think of it, I might get rid of the mountain bike to make room for another road bike. I have increasingly stong feelings that off-road is more rightfully enjoyed on foot. Hence, I really haven't been off road for several years.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - this is an excellent question! i've been looking at MTBs for a bit, wondering if one might become 'required' in the stable...

- i have road bikes in CF, AL (frameset actually), and Ti...

- my 'hardy' bike is a converted steel-framed hybrid (see sig linky) to a cyclocross that seems about perfect for the area... (can take 700x38s, uses cantis, etc.)

- but a MTB seems like a nice addition, and i've been considering one...

- but this begs the question: Hardtail or suspension?

:-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    You wouldn't use a pitchfork to pick your nose, would you?
    So do you use a road bike or a mountain bike to pick your nose?

My Bikes
    Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have both. I found a Schwinn Probe (mtn bike) at the local Salvo ten years ago for $10. Slapped on some Freddy Fenders, rack and cheap panniers for grocery store runs. Much better in the rain and snow. Never locked, never stolen.

The cat says Merry Xmas Pamestique's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one road bike and 2 mountain bikes ( a hardtail and a fully). I ride both road and trail equally, usually doing a road ride on Saturday and mountain bike ride on Sunday and during the week I usually do mountain biking to stay off the busy roads during rush hour traffic but like today, I also do road.

If you can only get one bike, then you need assess where you plan on riding the most. If road, get a road bike.

As I get older, I tend to more and more do mountain biking. Traffic and cars keep pissing me off which defeats the whole zen thing about riding. I love getting out on trail, hearing and seeing nature close up and personal. I also love hte whoop de do of trail riding. How much closer to being a kid can I get than that! And did I say, no cars!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ride both types. I live in the middle of a complex of trails that depending on their level of use and maintenance run the gammut from well groomed rail trails to something Blues Dog would like with several levels in between. I can use the trail complex to get all over the immediate area without going out on the roads so I ride a much modified mountain bike (I call it my general purpose bike) most of the time. It is geared up and tyred for trips out onto the asphault as well as the trails. 48/36/26 crankset with a 12/26 road cassette. The trails I ride would eat my road bike up and spit out pieces of carbon.

The road bike however is my fun machine when I want to get out and make some milage. Generally I take it with me on vacations and trips where road bikine is less risky. Cape Cod, Block Island and places along the New England Shoreline. Played hookie from work today and took out the road bike. Its nice to drive the sports car sometimes.

Ride both, you'll learn a lot more about cycling.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both - use my MTB mostly as a hybrid, prefer my road bike for serious riding. I did some trail riding and found it was not for me. I am a roadie at heart, always have been.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Trek mountain (15 yrs.) & Trek 7.2 hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Trek MTB and Trek 7.2 FX hybrid. I use the MTB on greenway trails during the week and the hybrid on the road on weekends. But I'm about to get a road bike.

Senior Rider
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question, I ride 95% of the time on my road bike, but an occasional ride on my mountain bike on the local trails is great fun, especially when the weather is not the best. My Diamondback hardtail is one of my prized possessions

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both, 3 Roadies, 2 MTBs, one converted MTB to a MUP rider. I was riding more road than MTB, but based on the current neck problems I'm having, it looks like I'll be back to MTB and MUP (upright) riding with way less road riding.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monday.. The Limo [long recumbent with full suspention]
    Tue.. The short recumbent
    Wen.. The Beach bike [at low tide]
    Thu.. MTB in the bush
    Fri... The folder {it fits in the car and this is shopping day so as my lady shops I ride]
    Sat.. Road bike [40 miles to Red Rock and back]
    Sun.. Any of them but more often then not the short recumbent
    If there were more days in the week I'd have more bikes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast