Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-27-07, 09:30 AM   #1
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Standing or sitting?

Do you climb standing or sitting?

Just as a throw in. The MTB community (press mostly) think that full suspension mountain bikes are much more effecient because the suspension allows the rider to spend more time in the saddle and less time standing. Now this may be obvious when discussing rough or loose terrain but they also claim that climbing hills is easier while sitting. This is the basis of the premis that a 30lb full suspension bike can be more effecient than a 25 lb hardtail with front suspension only.

2nd throw in. TDF riders appear to get out of the saddle for short bursts of power (or as reported to stretch muscles in a different way) but soon return to the sitting position to spin on up the hill. The idea here is that standing is powerful but consumes a great deal more energy than sitting.

Ready...Set....Go!
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 09:33 AM   #2
snavebob

Bikes: Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sit, easier on the 53 yr-old knees.
snavebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 09:38 AM   #3
piper_chuck

Bikes:
I think it's pretty widely accepted that standing consumes more energy, and is therefore less efficient, than sitting. The only times I stand are:
  • When I want to stretch or give my butt a break.
  • When I want quick acceleration or extra power, and don't want to have to shift down.
  • When I've reached the lowest gear on a hill and and it's still too high. Once you go below a certain RPM, but you're still having to work hard to maintain momentum, it's easier on your knees to stand. When faced with this, I typically alternate between seated mashing of the pedals and standing.
piper_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 09:39 AM   #4
tpelle

Bikes:
Stand in a higher gear until I poop out, then shift to granny when I sit.
tpelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 09:40 AM   #5
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
Mix, I stand when I need to get my cadence up and then sit once I have a tempo, I do this on the flats as well at times.

2013 Noah RS
stonecrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 10:00 AM   #6
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
As I've gotten stronger and lighter (5' 11", 168 lbs), I find I do more climbing standing than I used to.

I now practice it, and can climb efficiently for 2 miles up a local 6% hill. When done right, it doesn't seem to use any more energy than sitting (at least, my heart rate's about the same). Plus, you can use your body weight to drive the pedals down. And, I strongly suspect it's easier on the knees than sitting because there's less torque when your leg's straight.

On short climbs, I'll mostly stand and power over them. On long sustained climbs, I'll mostly sit and only get out of the saddle for steep sections or for a change of pace.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 12:49 PM   #7
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby
As a nube building up my strength, standing is easier than sitting on the steeper hills. I can sit just fine on mild inclines.

BTW: I wasn't sure what the question would be from your title. Thought it might be a pottie joke.
TruF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 12:58 PM   #8
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Climbing?

I don't tackle anything over about a 7% grade. I do those sitting. Last time I remember standing and pedaling was back in May.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 12:59 PM   #9
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Recumbent: Sitting, of course.
Upright tandem: Sitting, since we haven't mastered, or even tried, out-of-saddle pedaling yet.
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 01:24 PM   #10
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snavebob View Post
Actually, standing is easier on the knees, but it is definitely harder on the frame and cranks. I alternate between sitting and standing, depending on the length and grade of the climb. Having snapped a crank during an out-of-saddle ascent, I do tend to quite a bit more sitting than standing, for safety reasons.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 02:02 PM   #11
soma5
Hanging On

Bikes:
I sit and spin if the situation allows for it. I stand when I need to, for speed or (mostly for) power. I discovered that I'd lost the ability to stand and climb for long periods of time when I came back to cycling this summer, so at first I sat for all of my climbs. Lately I'm getting the fitness back so that I can stand if I need or want to and not have my legs get all rubbery. Yesterday on the training ride, we went up two rather steep and long hills where I was not able to sit and spin. Another rider, who is amazingly strong, was able to do just that and cruised up the hills and passed me like I was standing still.

-soma5
soma5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 02:03 PM   #12
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruF View Post
As a nube building up my strength, standing is easier than sitting on the steeper hills. I can sit just fine on mild inclines.

BTW: I wasn't sure what the question would be from your title. Thought it might be a pottie joke.
Moi..?..

I assure you that my jokes rarely get that good.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 02:11 PM   #13
Bill Kapaun

Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Sit. Obsessive fear of chain breaking unexpectedly
Bill Kapaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 02:22 PM   #14
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
It does depend on how long and how steep. mile long 10 % and it will be sitting- 15% and the cadence will drop towards the top so stand- 20 % and I don't have low enough gears so stand most of the way.

Now offroad poses a problem- 15% hill on loose soil or rocks and you need grip on the rear tyre so sit. But a slight rise in elevation and you want to get out of the saddle- so you lose grip-back in the saddle and the front wheel comes off the ground so throw the weight forward and stay on the saddle. So weight is more forward and wheelspin- It is a juggle as to where the weight is going to have to be on the bike

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 02:29 PM   #15
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I sit most of the time, but I don't hesitate to stand when I need a burst of power or to stretch my back.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 02:43 PM   #16
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP View Post
As I've gotten stronger and lighter (5' 11", 168 lbs), I find I do more climbing standing than I used to.

I now practice it, and can climb efficiently for 2 miles up a local 6% hill. When done right, it doesn't seem to use any more energy than sitting (at least, my heart rate's about the same). Plus, you can use your body weight to drive the pedals down. And, I strongly suspect it's easier on the knees than sitting because there's less torque when your leg's straight.

On short climbs, I'll mostly stand and power over them. On long sustained climbs, I'll mostly sit and only get out of the saddle for steep sections or for a change of pace.
Now here's a rider who has mastered the art of standing and using his weight to mash the gears. I think he will save his knees and still be fresh at the top of the climb. Somehow he's conserving his energy by not overworking the quads. He's so efficient that if you watch him from his back, there's very little sway from side to side. This takes practice. Now he's got another "trick" in his arsenal.
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 03:18 PM   #17
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
Now here's a rider who has mastered the art of standing and using his weight to mash the gears. I think he will save his knees and still be fresh at the top of the climb. Somehow he's conserving his energy by not overworking the quads. He's so efficient that if you watch him from his back, there's very little sway from side to side. This takes practice. Now he's got another "trick" in his arsenal.
Yep...with practice you can get very comfortable at it, and not go anaerobic.

Here's a few specific tips for efficient standing:

1) Straighten your leg on the downstroke and use your body weight.
By straightening your leg (similar to the "mountaineer's rest step" taught in climbing schools), you give that quad a temporary reprieve from effort.

2) Stay "light on the pedals".

3) Don't get too far forward.
That puts excess weight on the front wheel, which makes forward progress more difficult. I find I have to straighten my arms and force myself back a bit from what feels like the more "natural" position, in order to get my weight far enough back. This might, or might not, apply to everyone - body dimensions and bike fit/size come into play here. The important thing is to make sure you're not hovering over your bars, pushing that front wheel into the pavement.

Find a one or two mile climb, and practice climbing it entirely out of the saddle. Before long, you'll look like Lance or Pantani, "dancing on the pedals" up the mountain. And even if you're not as fast as them, you'll still look way cool.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 03:50 PM   #18
Old School

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
Mix, I stand when I need to get my cadence up and then sit once I have a tempo, I do this on the flats as well at times.
+1
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 03:51 PM   #19
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Haven't had to stand yet this year. Of course now with the 'bent I won't
be able to so perhaps my stubborness about staying in the saddle on
hills will payoff in less transition time into the new realm.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 04:45 PM   #20
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
My first thought was this thread was about using an outhouse in the middle of a long ride.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 08:09 PM   #21
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby
I'm a girl; I always sit. Or perch...
TruF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 09:20 PM   #22
cruzinator
50K Roadie

Bikes: Trek Pilot
I usually get out of the saddle on hills when they start getting steep enough that I really lose pace as I downshift going up. It just seems more natural to push it uphill (for up to 10-15 seconds) until I get close to the crest or it levels out more. Most hills are short around here, thankfully. For the longer hills, I generally keep it parked and grind it out at the slower pace, though I might get up briefly a time or two.
cruzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 10:24 PM   #23
oilman_15106

Bikes:
As to pro's climbing techinque: I usually don't have a serious climb after 100k of flat out riding! Ever notice when a group of pro riders are climbing and one guy stands they almost all stand for how ever long the fisrt guy stays up does. Point being that it is pretty hard to use pro racing techniques in everyday riding.

I alternate but usually stand. Feel I get more of my upper body involved with standing.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-07, 08:30 AM   #24
ftsoft

Bikes: Bianchi xl boron, Trek WSD, Comotion Speedster, Giant TCR Advanced
Quote:
Originally Posted by snavebob View Post
Well, that's certainly NOT true. As someone who has had 4 knee operations I can testify to standing while climbing as much better for your knees. It's harder on your legs though, especially if you don't do it a lot.

Frank
ftsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-07, 12:31 PM   #25
snavebob

Bikes: Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftsoft View Post
Well, that's certainly NOT true. As someone who has had 4 knee operations I can testify to standing while climbing as much better for your knees. It's harder on your legs though, especially if you don't do it a lot.

Frank

Really!? Every time I stand to climb a hill my left knee hurts. When I sit it feels much better. I strained it earlier this summer when climbing a hill in the wrong gear and it has hurt ever since when I stand to climb a hill regardless of the gear. I don't mind the workout it gives my legs I just wish my knee didn't hurt standing.

Bob
snavebob is offline   Reply With Quote