Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insulted at the LBS

So I walk into the shop with my Bride on a nice weekday morning.
    We had pulled right up to the front door in our Tacoma (I would
    have rather taken one of the bikes but alas...her riding days are
    behind us...stinkin' M.S.). We were shopping for a decent light
    for night commutes to assist my waning eyesight, and for a couple
    of bells to help accomodate pedestrian warning on MUP's. I've been
    trying to find a way to warn pedestrians of my approach from behind
    without startling them. Denver Fox I believe, advised that just
    calling out "Passing" seems to work quite well. He's right, it works
    better than anything else I tried, but still often sent some pedestrians
    into a low orbit. As a runner, the gentleman I work with mentioned that
    the distinctive ca-ching ca-ching of the bicycle bell worked best for
    him. He says it leaves no doubt as to what is about to take place
    and the sound is pleasant enough so as not to be startling. Since
    I ride a variety of different bikes I wanted to pick up a couple to
    try out. The first thing the bike guy says is "What are ya riding, a
    recumbent?" with an attitude that made me feel recumbent riders
    are in a sub-class of bicyclists. O.K., that's one insult. But maybe
    I'm just being oversensitive. My wife giggled and mentioned that I've
    only got one recumbent and I had bought it the day before, but I
    also ride several regular bikes. By now the wrench in the
    background is laughing out loud at the salesman cajohling him for
    stereotyping the old grey haired guy with the big gut and full beard.
    Insult #2. Now the first guy says "Real cyclists don't need bells
    'cause they ride on the roads". Insult #3 and you're out. We
    just turned around and left. I bought two real nice bells at Wally World
    for less than $4.00 apiece and they work just great. Next time I'm at
    Wally World I'll pick up enough to mount on on each of my bikes.
    And, I hope sometime when I'm out shopping with the 20+ year old
    Trek Mtn. Bike with the Burley Bugger trailing behind, that I see that
    bike guy out on his bike so I can smoke his **s! You can bet I'll be
    dinging my bell the whole time!!!!!!!

Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always have a bell on my bikes. I think they are "Incredibells" with the high pitched ding. When you cross the Golden Gate Bridge, the walkway usually has lots of tourists walking four wide and with the wind blowing, they can't hear you yelling even from a few feet behind. Most of the time, they can hear the Incredibell about 20 feet back.

My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks- Id email a manager there and explain that their charming
    salesman lost them a customer.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where was this? I'll put them on my avoid list.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That really sucks. I'd only go back to that shop if I had a new bike on my rack and I'd park it so they could see it. Then buy something cheap like a water bottle, just to let them know they blew the chance to have you as a customer.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

bac
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    By now the wrench in the
    background is laughing out loud at the salesman cajohling him for
    stereotyping the old grey haired guy with the big gut and full beard.
    Insult #2. Now the first guy says "Real cyclists don't need bells
    'cause they ride on the roads". Insult #3 and you're out.
    Maybe he was just joking? I have such a dry sense of humor that people think I'm serious when I'm joking. Seriously!

... Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just drop a note to the manager or owner and tell him you're no longer a customer and explain why. Give names or descriptions if you can. Otherwise it's not worth worrying about: Bike shop employees, at least around here, are notorious *****holes. One local shop owner changed his approach a couple of years ago and began advertising as "your family bike shop," selling comfort bikes and cruisers and whatever people needed in addition to his high-end line, and his business was up 30 percent the first year.
    For the record, though, I think you're being too sensitive when you consider the question about the 'bent to be an insult. It was a perfect time to say something like, "Yeah. I rode a regular bike when i was your age, but by the time I was 25, I was pretty much impotent. It took two operations and some therapy to get things working again, and now I stick with the recumbent. My doctor said he sees that in young cyclists all the time..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=knotty;5347937]I always have a bell on my bikes. I think they are "Incredibells" with the high pitched ding. When you cross the Golden Gate Bridge, the walkway usually has lots of tourists walking four wide and with the wind blowing, they can't hear you yelling even from a few feet behind. Most of the time, they can hear the Incredibell about 20 feet back.[/QUOT

Why are you riding on the east side -the pedestrian side- of the bridge??
    The west side is bicycles only.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. We cyclists as a group are.... often not very nice and filled with ego. Pretty amazing for a bunch of folks that wear Lyrca and shoes we can't walk in.
    I'm ov in commuter a lot. I'm mazed how much anger there is. Heck, from people who get to ride almost every day, and yet so many are so angry. And mean.

I think that's why 50+ is the best place for me. People here are nicer and not so wound up. Even this thread about being badly treated doesn't sound as angry and mean as many posts in Road Bikes concerning gear ratios.

Of course, I'm talking about real cyclists, not those recumbent folks....
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they were trying to tell you that they didn't want you to spend any money in their shop.

My Bikes
    '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bac View Post
    Maybe he was just joking? I have such a dry sense of humor that people think I'm serious when I'm joking. Seriously!

... Brad
    LOL. But I think that it's important to be sensitive enough to be make sure that people take it in jest; it certainly is insensitive to leave them insulted. JMHO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Where was this? I'll put them on my avoid list.
    North side of town...lousy assortment of accessories anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post

Of course, I'm talking about real cyclists, not those recumbent folks....
    Ouch.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were they saying to take your $10 and buy your bells elsewhere?

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=SaiKaiTai;5348367]
    Quote Originally Posted by knotty View Post
    I always have a bell on my bikes. I think they are "Incredibells" with the high pitched ding. When you cross the Golden Gate Bridge, the walkway usually has lots of tourists walking four wide and with the wind blowing, they can't hear you yelling even from a few feet behind. Most of the time, they can hear the Incredibell about 20 feet back.[/QUOT

Why are you riding on the east side -the pedestrian side- of the bridge??
    The west side is bicycles only.
    I can't remember the last time I saw anyone on the west side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Everyone, pedestrians and bikes (and I even saw a unicycle a couple weeks ago) are all on the east side. Don't remember when that changed, because now that you mention it, I recall that it hasn't always been this way...

Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On weekdays, the west side is open from 3:30 pm to 9pm. And, all day on weekends only.
    On weekdays before 3:30pm, bikes have to share the east walk with peds.
    But, the bell is needed for some of the newbie or careless cyclists too on either walk.

It would be great if they opened the west side all day weekdays! I'd be in Marin everyday!

Here's the GGB site.

knotty

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knotty View Post
    On weekdays, the west side is open from 3:30 pm to 9pm. And, all day on weekends only.
    On weekdays before 3:30pm, bikes have to share the east walk with peds.
    But, the bell is needed for some of the newbie or careless cyclists too on either walk.
    Ahh! So it's just that they are all on the east side when I happen to drive by! Tells you how easy it is to make assumptions based on too few datapoints. And some people vote with less ammo than that!

Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the GGB has been on that schedule for a very long time. Can remember back in the 80's coming back from Bodega Bay, we arrived at the GGB just when they were opening the westside at 3:30pm.

knotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne View Post
    That sucks- Id email a manager there and explain that their charming
    salesman lost them a customer.
    Agreed. It's quite shocking to think that the assistants are so stupid to be rude to a customer and loose out on business.

My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike shop employees remind me a lot of the very young clerks you sometime encounter in the big box computer stores...the thing is, I do know a thing or two about computers so I can usually swat them down and just get what I want. I am really new to bikes so I tend to feel more vulnerable when a bike shop clerk gets snotty. I wanted to get rid of my suspension seat post last week and the guy made me feel like an idiot. I hung in there and tried a different LBS yesterday. The guy explained the options for shoes and pedals to me in a way that seemed to recognize that I had a brain cell and a right to be asking...so I
    bought some for my hybrid. When I upgrade to a road bike, that's where I'll buy it.

I like to remember the scene from Fried Green Tomatos when the two young girls in a convertible stole a parking spot from Kathy Bates...they got out laughing at her so she rammed their little sportster with her minivan...when they screamed are you crazy, she replied, "No, I'm older and have better insurance!."

Okay, I'm sounding angry...off to the road forum!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two LBS's convenient to my home. The first is a branch of a local chain of bicycle shops, with maybe 5 or 6 stores around the area. The other is a one shop family owned and operated store. As it happens, the chain store is the location most convenient.

When I decided to buy a new road bike, I stopped by the chain store. Now, every time I'd previously been in there buying brake shoes or bottle cages, etc. I noticed that there was usually one "adult" present (usually the mechanic with a bike up on the workstand behind the counter) while the rest of the staff consisted of teenagers. I walked in (by the way, I am 55 years old with gray hair and a beer gut) and announced that I would like to look at a road bike with a triple chainring and low gearing for the hills, and described the type of riding that I intended to do (recreational riding for exercise, all on the road).

One of the teenagers piped up and said he'd help me. First, he tried to tell me that I really needed a hybrid, and that hybrids allowed a more relaxed upright stance that I might find to be more comfortable. I told him that I didn't want a hybrid because I didn't like straight handlebars - I already had an old 10-speed road bike with drop bars, and I just wanted something with better gearing. Also, I preferred the multiple hand positions that the drop bars of a road bike allowed.

We then started to look at road bikes in my price range. He sized me up by eye, pulled one out of the rack, had me stand across it, and said that one looked good to him - that was the bike for me! No mention was made of taking measurements for sizing. (The bike he showed me, a Specialized something-or-other with an aluminum frame, carbon fiber fork, and "compact" geometry, seemed too small to me.) I said that I was kind of hoping I'd find something with a steel frame and a horizontal top tube. He said that nobody made that "old fashioned" stuff. That the new bikes were all like this, and were so much better.

I commented about how dainty and fragile all of the components looked - the chain, chainwheels, and especially the rear cogs - compared to my old 10-speed. The teenager replied that "today we have metallurgy and don't have to make the components out of stone any more".

OK, I'm thinking, we had men walking around on the moon when this twerp's PARENTS were still pushing Tonka trucks around the sandbox, and he's telling me about metallurgy! I'm riding a bike older than he is! Hell, I have UNDERWEAR older than he is! No way am I buying a bike from this kid.

I told him thanks, and when my bonus check came in I might be back. I then left and haven't been back to that shop since.

I confess that I ALMOST ordered a Mercier Corvus from bikesdirect.com, but when I went to their web site they were out of them in my size.

I finally went to the other shop, and it was like a breath of fresh air! The folks working there were all old enough to purchase adult beverages without benefit of a fake ID. Never once in the conversation was I addressed as "Dude". We had a nice conversation about the kind of bike I wanted, the pros and cons of different materials, the area where I rode and the hills. They showed me a bike in my price range, as well as another bike that was better but out of my price range. Then they mentioned Surly. I had read about the Long Haul Trucker on the internet, and was intrigued about that bike, but assumed it would be out of my price range. They checked, and I found that, if I bumped my budget up just a little, I could swing it. A deal was struck, a comprehensive sizing was done, and a Surly Long Haul Trucker was mine.

The moral of the story is - sell your customer what they want, and don't piss 'em off!

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Just drop a note to the manager or owner and tell him you're no longer a customer and explain why. Give names or descriptions if you can. Otherwise it's not worth worrying about: Bike shop employees, at least around here, are notorious *****holes. One local shop owner changed his approach a couple of years ago and began advertising as "your family bike shop," selling comfort bikes and cruisers and whatever people needed in addition to his high-end line, and his business was up 30 percent the first year. For the record, though, I think you're being too sensitive when you consider the question about the 'bent to be an insult. It was a perfect time to say something like, "Yeah. I rode a regular bike when i was your age, but by the time I was 25, I was pretty much impotent. It took two operations and some therapy to get things working again, and now I stick with the recumbent. My doctor said he sees that in young cyclists all the time..."
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Ahh! So it's just that they are all on the east side when I happen to drive by! Tells you how easy it is to make assumptions based on too few datapoints. And some people vote with less ammo than that!
    You talking about me??? Well, yes, I must plead ignorance, then. Guilty as charged. Apologies.
    I must admit to having ridden across the GGB but one time so what do I know?

But, back on topic, I guess bad experiences abound. I bought my first bike from the SF branch of, let's say a local small chain headquartered in San Rafael. The experience could not have been better. Wonderful. Sublime. The sales dude sent me a Thank You card because he was floored by this 50-Plusser's boundless enthusiam to ride again. Then he left and went to teach ESL in Venezuela. When it came time to buy my second bike, I remembered what a nice time I had at the SF store but they didn't have all the bikes in stock that I wanted to try. So, I went down to their Palo Alto store. Palo Alto where s*** never stinks and here I am from the wrong part of the Peninsula. The prevalent attitude was more like "Yeah, yeah, give us credit card, take the bike and get out of here" The attention to the small details was completely lacking. Hm. I purchased a 5-year service policy with my Kaitai. I brought it in for its first service and surprise they found something wrong that wasn't covered - my chain needed replacing. OK, do it. They gave me a completion date. Then they called and said I needed a new cassette. They promised -PROMISED- it would be ready by that weekend. OK, do it. I never heard from them again.

So, I called on the promised date just before I headed down to pick up my bike and the work hadn't been done, they didn't know if the cassette had come in. They didn't even know if it had been ordered. Their attitude was "Well, you could take it home as is and do it yourself. Or whatever you know?". So, I screamed bloody murder. Surprise, they called a few minutes later... seems the cassette had been sitting somewhere on a shelf and no one knew.

The score now is (1) good experience (2) not-so-good experiences

When my Kaitai started randomly busting spokes, I brought the wheels to the SF shop again. Stupid me but I need a good repair shop and wanted to try one more time just in case the first time was a fluke. It wasn't. I brought the wheels in on 8/25 and promised a 9/11 completion date. They called me on the 11th as they were starting the job. Seems they start the work on the date promised and assume nothing will come up. It did, of course, I needed a new wheel. Naturally they didn't have one in stock (unless I wanted yellow) so they had to order it and it was -for whatever reason- considered a special order so I had to come down and pay for it in advance. The red flag is going up. I complained about it and they agreed that, since they already had my wheels, they could just order the wheel; it should arrive in 7-10 days and they'll finish it up the day it comes in. Two weeks go by and I hear nothing so I call and no rim. They have no clue where it might be but tell me I can call the special order department and follow up. I asked them if that isn't something they should do? No, that's the customer's responsibility. So I called and they never received an order for a rim but I could call the shop back, have them put in the order and the wheel should be there in another 7-10 days. I flipped. I called the area manager and he agreed that it was mishandled, that there have been a lot of complaints about the SF service department. I asked if he could overnight it and he said he would pursue it. I get a call from the SF shop manager and basically, he says, "We ain't doing jack for you. It'll get here when it gets here" This, to me, sounds a lot like "Screw you, pal" I get back with the area manager and he says he is now disinvolving himself, it's between the shop manager and me. Shop manager calls me and says, "It's over between us. Pick up your wheel and you are banned from our store." Because I complained and was right. I guess it's really hard to own up to hearing they dropped the ball and rather than make it right, just drop the customer. Unbelievable
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an LBS I use all the time and great shop. I do occasionally go into a couple of large Bike Chain stores and Try to deal with the Young Turks. I am old- and I look old. They do not believe that I still Go mountain biking on the South Downs- They are not Easy. They do not believe that anyone that is not a CAT2 racer would ride on the road hills where I live. You can see it in their eyes and in the smirk on their faces. No problem- I just look at the Overpriced goods in the shop and Buy elsewhere.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience in retail(electronics), sometimes it is just hard being nice to everyone. You got the wrong treatment but put it into perspective, the clerk just got done with a joker that wanted whatever. Spent enough time in LBS's to know that there are just as many jerk customers as good ones. LBS is a business I would never own.

In the LBS the other day and a guy hauls in a GT rail to trail bike that is 4 sizes too small for the rider. Owner tries to explain that the bike is not going to be very comfortable to ride. Guy, who got the thing at Goodwill for $25, just refused to listen about the size thing and comfort. 14.5 inch frame and the guy was a good 5'11". It is like dung beetles pushing dung uphill..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast