Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A soggy 14 miles

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A soggy 14 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-08, 10:04 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A soggy 14 miles

I planned to do 100K on the Freedom Tour today but the weather just wouldn't cooperate. A friend and I started the ride in a light rain with plans to take the 50K route if it started raining harder. But by the time we reached the 10 mile mark it was pouring and there didn't seem to be any relief in sight

Our shoes were soggy, glasses were steaming and the rain tickled my nose as it dripped off the end. In addition I was being sprayed by his rooster tail coming off his recumbent After riding through a reserve area and climbing the dam we decided to call it a day and head back to our cars.

At least we did one of the nicest parts of the ride, got a water bottle and t-shirt before abandoning the ride. There's always tomorrow

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-04-08, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done this and it is no fun. Did a Cancer charity ride last year. We were going for a centruy but ended up cutting it off at 65 miles. More flats than I have ever seen, guess the rain washed all the junk onto the road. Buddie crashed and we were pretty miserable.

Got back and someone said "wow you guys are amazing" , only partially correct, amazingly stupid.
Old 07-04-08, 01:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you want to ride in England- You learn the word "Goretex"

Luckily- I was getting over the bypass in 99 but went to see my mates doing the Salisbury 100. Rained all the way down- Right through the day and the following night aswell. 92 and I did a 100 mile offroad- rained all day. 2006 and another 100 miler offroad on the Tandem and aborted at 65 miles and the best of the lot- Got Hypothermia on a metric in 01 but that also had a Headwind that got up to 70mph for the last 5 miles across the top of a Moor. Had other wet rides- but these are the ones that stick in my mind. They were bad.

So get a goretex and Practice.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-04-08, 04:32 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Telling us how you suffered through a miserable 50K or 100K ride would have made a better story. Once you get soaking wet, you might as well grind it out.
Old 07-04-08, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
There's wet, then there's wet and cold.
Old 07-04-08, 07:09 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
So get a goretex and Practice.
I was wearing the Goretex jacket It just didn't help keep the feet dry or the glasses clear enough to see. Wet feet don't bother me too much but when I can't see over 15 feet ahead I'm ready to call it quits

I usually wear the cycling sandals when it rains but it was a little too chilly for them today.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-04-08, 07:10 PM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
There's wet, then there's wet and cold.
Yep, it was wet and cold this morning It was in the mid fifties when we started and it didn't get much warmer.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-04-08, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
Yep, it was wet and cold this morning It was in the mid fifties when we started and it didn't get much warmer.
It wasn't raining here this morning but it was overcast and cold. I stayed home - 'can you say w-u-s-s-y, boys and girls?'
Old 07-04-08, 09:52 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Wet and cold is definitely a different matter. Wet and mid fifties would change my tune in a hurry. I can't remember when we last saw a low temperature in the fifties. In fact, we have not seen the sixties for a while.
Old 07-05-08, 04:47 AM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Wet and cold is definitely a different matter. Wet and mid fifties would change my tune in a hurry. I can't remember when we last saw a low temperature in the fifties. In fact, we have not seen the sixties for a while.
We've been seeing lower than average temps the past week. It's been great riding weather as long as it's dry. I've actually had to wear arm warmers or a light jacket on rides - something I can't remember doing in June and July for years.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-05-08, 05:41 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
There is warm rain and there is cold rain.

We here in Colorado have never seen warm rain. Generally even our summer rain is accompanied by hail, sleet and wind.

I think it must be a lot different than riding in the warm rain. I'd like to try that sometime.
Old 07-05-08, 08:08 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
glasses were steaming.
I always wonder how we are seen from vehicles when rain riding.

Placed a plastic bag over the camera to keep it dry.

Then took this one:

Old 07-06-08, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I planned to do 100K on the Freedom Tour today but the weather just wouldn't cooperate. A friend and I started the ride in a light rain with plans to take the 50K route if it started raining harder. But by the time we reached the 10 mile mark it was pouring and there didn't seem to be any relief in sight

Our shoes were soggy, glasses were steaming and the rain tickled my nose as it dripped off the end. In addition I was being sprayed by his rooster tail coming off his recumbent After riding through a reserve area and climbing the dam we decided to call it a day and head back to our cars.

At least we did one of the nicest parts of the ride, got a water bottle and t-shirt before abandoning the ride. There's always tomorrow
Oh sure. Pin it all on the recumbent!

Hope your next ride works out better.