Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greatest training moments

When we were on our race training rides in the 70's, we used to quite regularly come upon some guy riding at a good pace and we would get on his wheel paceline style. Then the competition was on. It was a test of wills and fitness to see who would drop off first. Or, some guy would come onto our paceline and do the same thing. Talk about pushing to the max, it was really incredibly tough but it was that needed push to get one over into the next stage of fitness. Ah, the good old days!

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is still true at our age. You need others to push you along to the next level (assuming you want to go there). I find cycling is a deceptive sport. If you are riding solo there are so many opportunities to plateau. You can spend hours on a bike but not improve your fitness level. It's when you measure yourself against others and then take the steps required to break into that next level that you really improve. Unfortunately at our age it is very hard to do and it takes a level of commitment or fanaticism, and it sometimes hurts. I only have so much time I can devote to this sport, I want my riding to be fun and physically productive because when I achieve both it improves the rest of my life. I donít want cycling to BE my life.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    ... If you are riding solo there are so many opportunities to plateau. You can spend hours on a bike but not improve your fitness level. ...
    And that is where I find myself these days. It can be frustrating trying to improve and yet still enjoy the ride.

My Bikes
    Waterford, Orbea, Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And didja ever notice that while riding in a fast group, that every time you come up on a slower rider the group automatically accelerates? Some sort of group psychology to say "look out pal, we are super fast!!". I do it too, btw.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie47 View Post
    And didja ever notice that while riding in a fast group, that every time you come up on a slower rider the group automatically accelerates? Some sort of group psychology to say "look out pal, we are super fast!!". I do it too, btw.
    I ride on my own and the only people I ever catch up with must be older than me- On less suitable bikes thn mine- or they are a lot less fit than me----OR- They are taking it steady as they have just finished their powerbar and gel and are now ready to get back up to their cruising speed that is 5mph faster than my Max.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride solo most of the time and I do notice that when another bike comes along there is a tendancy to pick it up a little or if I am catching someone ahead of me I will hold a little higher speed when I pass them. Not like you are challenging them to race or anything.