Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Campy vs Shimano

Being a campy fan for years – and the new bike is Shimano I thought I would give the unbiased comparison after a 4 hour ride.
    Campy set up is a triple veloce – circa 1995
    Crank – 52/42/32 cassette 13/25 9 spd
    Ergo levers

Shimano Ultegra set up is a triple,
    FSA mega carbon crank 53/39/30 cassette 12/25 10 spd + DA rear derailleur

Shift Levers:
    Lever appearance – I like the hidden cable that campy has – it’s cleaner: C+1
    Operation: Campy’s shifting seems more intuitive – but this may be a training issue. With campy you imagine the chain moving in the direction your swinging the lever. With Shimano you imagine that the inside lever drops teeth and the outside lever adds teeth: Prefer Campy now but I know I will get use to Shimano: Neutral
    My older veloce can dump cassette gears three at a time, the Shimano gets only one per swing. I understand though that on new Campy you only get this with Chorus or Record so I will rate this as Neutral.
    Breaking and shifting – can easily be done with both but Shimano requires a little more technique, swinging the break lever while simultaneously down shifting is a little more difficult then breaking with one finger and downshifting with the other: C+1
    Hood comfort. Not sure about this one, both were fine. I could stand and drive the pedals with the hand on the hoods equally as well.

Shifting action: I am dealing with well-worn campy components vs. new Shimano and Veloce vs. Ultegra/DA (not really fair)
    Cassette chain skipping & noise, the Shimano had none, the campy sometimes needs a little finesse on the levers to stop the little noises but no skipping: S+1
    Quickness of shifting: Both are very good: Neutral. One thing to note – With the Shimano I could not get into the 25 when in the 53 CR – this limited me to 9 in this case. Not a biggy because I try never to carry that much cross over.
    Crank chain skipping & noise, when shifting to the center ring the Shimano would sometimes drop the chain a little high and it would not engage the teeth. Could be the FSA crankset though. I will need to be conscious of this. Both require moderate adjustment in the middle CR depending on chain cross to prevent front chain from rubbing front DR. Both quickly make the transition from CR to CR. If the crankset were Shimano I would give this to Campy but I will stay Neutral on this one.

Maintenance: One of the big digs I hear on Shimano (mostly from campy lovers) is that you cannot fix them. The one time I tried to fix my campy I found that although it could be rebuilt they no longer made the parts. It was an EBAY adventure to find them. So I don’t buy this argument. It doesn’t matter if you can’t easily get parts.

Conclusion: I prefer campy just slightly more but the fact that most bike manufacturers use Shimano parts makes it a much better deal. My new bike would have had to be a custom build to get campy which would not have allowed me to get the end of season – get it out of the warehouse price. S+1. This evens them up!

Hope this helps anyone trying to decide.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I like the Ergo hoods and especially the shifting action somewhat more than the Shimano...tho' I could happily live with either. I simply added Centaur brifters to a Shimano drivetrain using Jtek. Shifting is perfecto.

*** I much prefer Campy cables...they are costly but no stretch from the very first installation several months ago.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
    Personally, I like the Ergo hoods and especially the shifting action somewhat more than the Shimano...tho' I could happily live with either. I simply added Centaur brifters to a Shimano drivetrain using Jtek. Shifting is perfecto.

*** I much prefer Campy cables...they are costly but no stretch from the very first installation several months ago.
    Based on CC's experiences, I tried this set up, and I have to agree with him, Ergo shirfters with Shimano drivetrain is an uncluttered, easy to operate, system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying there is another company that makes groupos besides Campy? Blasphemer!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sram

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. It would be nice to see a three way comparison including SRAM. In theory, I like the shifting arrangement of the double tap levers better than either Campy or ShimaNO.

cyclingfool, do the brifters really break while braking and shifting?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Shimano will allow you to shift 2 gears at a time up on your cassette with a big swing. You cannot shift to lower gears more than one at a time. I use the big swing downshift all of the time sometimes two big swings for a 4 gear shift. It would be nice to have double shift down as well. I think it is great that you get a lot of choices today between Shimano, Campy and SRAM, you should be able to find what you like.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CC - was the conversion easy??
    I am shopping for ergo levers starting tomorrow? I think that'll make it a 5 start in all categories!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Campy is better than shimano. No facts are needed. No data is needed. Anyone who thinks differently is wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    CC - was the conversion easy??
    I am shopping for ergo levers starting tomorrow? I think that'll make it a 5 start in all categories!!!
    Yes. About like putting on fresh cables with the added step of running the cable through the Jtek gismo.
    Just have to make sure it is lined up correctly. Be sure to order the right adaptor...there are 4 "models" of Jtek for different combinations of drivetrain.

I thought "Yeah, right" but it works perfectly-- as if it isn't there. Over a year now and solid shifts everytime.

Hah! Something that actually does what it says it will.

BTW, shop around online....the price varies a few bucks.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    Campy is better than shimano. No facts are needed. No data is needed. Anyone who thinks differently is wrong.
    The last time that I heard that kind of reasoning it was justifying the invasion of Iraq.

Whoops, I said that wrong.

The last time that I heard that kind of argument it was justifying the invasion of Iraq.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    The last time that I heard that kind of reasoning it was justifying the invasion of Iraq.

The last time that I heard that kind of argument it was justifying the invasion of Iraq.
    As customers engaging the cloudy claims of the cycling market, or as troopers in Strykers, we all see through a glass darkly. Name someone who sees through a glass brightly....except with the spectacles of hindsight.

LOL, I have a box full of bike parts, as do most of us, that I bought with high hopes, the seeming best info...and they didn't work for me. Sometimes I return to them and find, with different expectations, they are useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iraq??? Is there something going on over there?

There's always some retro grouch, lurking in the bushes, waiting to remind us of unpleasantries. Probably one of those 60's hippie types who never grew up. Still rides bicycles, doesn't like the president, wants health coverage for everyone, wants all young folks educated. Jeeze....OOps...Football game is starting... gotta go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the comparison is incomplete, take it a step further consider repairs. Lets say the shifters break; how long will it take to get them rebuilt?

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As customers engaging the cloudy claims of the cycling market, or as troopers in Strykers, we all see through a glass darkly. Name someone who sees through a glass brightly....except with the spectacles of hindsight.

LOL, I have a box full of bike parts, as do most of us, that I bought with high hopes, the seeming best info...and they didn't work for me. Sometimes I return to them and find, with different expectations, they are useful.
    I strive to try as many of the parts out there as I can. Most are good in their proper place. Mating the part to the place is part of the equation.

Beware of those who waive one brands flag above all others. Its like finding out that different handlebars suit different people, or different mirrors, or different helmets, or different pedals. Hey haven't we had this conversation before?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wish they would all work together better. Friction shifting or Jtek adapters help make some of the different brand parts work together, but the manufacturers clearly want to make their stuff only work with their own other stuff. Takes a lot of the fun out of tinkering.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear View Post
    I think the comparison is incomplete, take it a step further consider repairs. Lets say the shifters break; how long will it take to get them rebuilt?
    Read again - I addressed that issue. When I layed down my steel bike two years agho and ripped the boot off the right ergo lever it took me a month to find a new pair and they cost about a 1/3 of NEW LEVERS! It makes no difference if you can rebuild something if you can't find the parts you need at a reasonable price. Shimano vs campy is a religious discussion - like red vs white bikes (although there is spiritual proof red bikes are faster).

Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Beware of those who waive one brands flag above all others. Its like finding out that different handlebars suit different people, or different mirrors, or different helmets, or different pedals. Hey haven't we had this conversation before?
    As always - there is some wisdom out there.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember someone posting about the high price for Ergo hoods and I found some good aftermarket clones for a fraction of the cost.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >> Settles in with a bowl of popcorn to watch the show <<
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also view this as suspect. 1995 Veloce versus new FSA/Shimano Dura Ace is not a valid comparison.

I have ridden both Dura Ace and Record thousands of miles. I like both and they both work very well. Moreover, less expensive gruppos nowdays work as well as the more expensive ones of yore. The ultimate decision is more of a matter of personal choice.

I will say this. I rode FSA/Wippermann/Record mix for two years. Campy does work better with Campy drive train components.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I layed down my steel bike two years agho and ripped the boot off the right ergo lever it took me a month to find a new pair and they cost about a 1/3 of NEW LEVERS! .
    Campy Ergo rubber hood covers ('99 to '06 models) at $28 per pair at Alfred E. Bike. Cheapest I found them online...like you, I also ripped my right cover. Structurally, that's a weak point and may well rip again.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name someone who sees through a glass brightly....except with the spectacles of hindsight.
    Why that's easy. Colin Powell, Secretary of State at the time, predicted exactly what has happened in Iraq.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why that's easy. Colin Powell, Secretary of State at the time, predicted exactly what has happened in Iraq.
    Thread Hijack!
    Campy vs Shimano - Republicans vs Democrates - Apple vs. Windows
    I never drew the comparisons before - now the circle is complete.

Attachment 55778
    "Can't we all get along"

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apple vs. Windows
    Linux!
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    linux -- the sram of operating systems

I ordered a set of old style ergo hoods from excel yesterday for $29. Never heard of that alfred place but I will check them out. I've always recieved good value and service from excel though.

I went through something like this recently. I've ridden campy since '79 but recently I got an itch to get a plastic bike and of course everything off the rack was shimano. I rode it as it came from the shop for a couple of weeks until I got a smokin deal on a closeout '06 centaur drivetrain. I swapped it out and sold off the 105/ult stuff and broke even. While the shimano stuff worked, it wasn't my cup of tea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast