Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations to The Historian

Congratulations to The Historian for completing his first Century Ride. Remember, you read it here first.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    Congratulations to The Historian for completing his first Century Ride. Remember, you read it here first.
    Yes, Terrierman was the first BF person I contacted. I then posted a brief comment in the Charity forum. 106 miles, 8 hours 54 minutes rolling time, 10 hours 25 minutes total. I skipped the 75 mile ride back today - too much too soon. That and my right shoulder was upset it spent 8 hours in an elevated position. Someone from my bike shop saw me about mile 60 and said I looked like I was really suffering. I either need to get a great deal faster, ride in a much better posture, or develop a poker face so it's not obvious I am suffering. I'm not sure which is easiest.

Special thanks are due two Bike Forums posters who were on the ride - my team Captain, mentor, and friend Uncadan, and MTBLover, who I met at the rest stop on the century loop. MTBLover's advice that I didn't need to complete a century before the MS ride helped restore my faltering confidence a couple of weeks ago. He reminded me of that when we met in the NJ Pine Barrens yesterday. Thanks, MTBLover.
    Last edited by Neil_B; 09-30-07 at 05:32 PM.

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, Historian! Now bask in your well-deserved glory!

-soma5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulation on a great accomplishment!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are one really persistent dude. Congratulations on getting the big one!!

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy is amazing!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done.............

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on a job well done.
    George

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I'm really getting the bug to do this...perhaps this winter, since I live so close to the Palm Springs area, I might be able to pull it off.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One hundred miles sounds like a very long distance.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations! This is one fantastic accomplishment.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    One hundred miles sounds like a very long distance.
    I suppose it is. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, Historian. You're a great example for the rest of us!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I logged in last night looking to see the ride report from The Historian. Not finding one, I considered starting a thread asking where the report was, but demurred because ... well ... what if something bad had happened ... or if TH simply had no legs on Saturday?

Congrats!

I hope you go back to more rational distances with continued zeal and wonderment of your surroundings. The ongoing training and health benefits are prob better from the 40-60 mile rides, anyway.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Yes, Terrierman was the first BF person I contacted. I then posted a brief comment in the Charity forum. 106 miles, 8 hours 54 minutes rolling time, 10 hours 25 minutes total. I skipped the 75 mile ride back today - too much too soon. That and my right shoulder was upset it spent 8 hours in an elevated position. Someone from my bike shop saw me about mile 60 and said I looked like I was really suffering. I either need to get a great deal faster, ride in a much better posture, or develop a poker face so it's not obvious I am suffering. I'm not sure which is easiest.

Special thanks are due two Bike Forums posters who were on the ride - my team Captain, mentor, and friend Uncadan, and MTBLover, who I met at the rest stop on the century loop. MTBLover's advice that I didn't need to complete a century before the MS ride helped restore my faltering confidence a couple of weeks ago. He reminded me of that when we met in the NJ Pine Barrens yesterday. Thanks, MTBLover.
    Bravo, bravo, bravo, Neil!!!! And my pleasure- it's kind of you to say thanks, but I was far from from the only one giving you advice. Lots of people in here pulling for you! It was great seeing you on the loop- you were lookin' good, and I had every confidence that you were going to make it! i couldn't tell you were suffering. Re: Grahny's comment in the charity forum- yeah, we could have used more hills, but the wind (from every direction) made up for that .
    Here's to many more centuries!
    Last edited by MTBLover; 09-30-07 at 08:18 PM.

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Crossroads, 1985 Raleigh Sportif
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neil, I knew you spent the last month worrying, but I knew you would pull it off this weekend Congrats
    epcolt
    WV Trailrider
    07 Specialized Crossroads Sport
    90's Specialized Allez
    85 Raleigh Sportif Touring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job, Historian. You're an inspiration for so many BF readers.

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "One hundred miles sounds like a very long distance."

It is! Congratulations on your accomplishment(s). You did not let stuff hold you back. You took your lumps and kept going. You should be so very proud of this big ride.

Here's to many more milestones in your rear view mirror.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Success! Congratulations.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by skiffrun View Post
    I logged in last night looking to see the ride report from The Historian. Not finding one, I considered starting a thread asking where the report was, but demurred because ... well ... what if something bad had happened ... or if TH simply had no legs on Saturday?

Congrats!

I hope you go back to more rational distances with continued zeal and wonderment of your surroundings. The ongoing training and health benefits are prob better from the 40-60 mile rides, anyway.
    Thanks for the interest. I didn't have Internet access yesterday, and I would have been too tired to post anything coherent. Heck, even with a day off, I haven't posted much.

As for distances, my goal is to be able to ride centuries or longer rides faster and in less discomfort. Next year I want to be able to ride the century route to Ocean City on Saturday and then back to the start on Sunday.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLover View Post
    Bravo, bravo, bravo, Neil!!!! And my pleasure- it's kind of you to say thanks, but I was far from from the only one giving you advice. Lots of people in here pulling for you! It was great seeing you on the loop- you were lookin' good, and I had every confidence that you were going to make it! i couldn't tell you were suffering. Re: Grahny's comment in the charity forum- yeah, we could have used more hills, but the wind (from every direction) made up for that .
    Here's to many more centuries!
    Yes, you are correct. I certainly didn't mean to slight anyone, and I hope no one took offense. Much advice and many good wishes have been offered by many Bike Forums posters over the past few months. I'm fortunate to receive it. Thank you everyone!

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to read of your success. Out Friggin Standing!!
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if i ever grow up, i wanna be like the historian.... that is one impressive dude.... well done, Historian.

be,

and be well,

jim
    Be in this moment.
    Do not seek the truth. Accept it.

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ".... or develop a poker face so it's not obvious I am suffering.

I want EVERYBODY to know when I'm suffering!

Great job!

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    A century timeline:

September 28 - I take off from work to relax the day before the ride. With that thought in mind, I am sharing a hotel room in Cherry Hill, NJ, a few miles from the ride start. The MS Society hasn't sent me my rider number, so I'll need to be at the ride early. (My rider number arrived at my home Saturday, 50 miles and 6 hours after the ride start.) I get thoroughly lost trying to find the hotel, and a two hour trip turns into a three hour trip. Getting directions from the locals was impossible, as there was a language barrier at every 7-11 I stopped at. The person I was sharing the room with, Phil M. of Bicycle Club of Philadelphia, could offer little additional help, as he was riding to the hotel, and unless I wanted to drive his cue sheet.... Fortunately I found a map and reached the hotel by 9:30 PM. Unfortunately that night I received less sleep than I wanted and needed.

September 29 - I arrive at the Woodcrest PATCO station at ten minutes after 5 AM. After running around from booth to booth getting my rider number and VIP Cyclist jersey, I put the bike together. I pull on arm and knee warmers to guard against the chill. The cyclist parked next to me helps me pin my rider number, 8123, to my back. Roark, my flat bar road bike, has the rider number tied to his top tube and his water bottles filled with diluted Gatorade.

6:00 AM - The parking lot quickly fills up with cyclists. The dark of night is broken by the riot of colorful jerseys and helmets in before the ride start. Teams begin to congregate for the mass start and for team photos. Team J & J stand out as an enormous sea of red jerseys. The PA system announces instructions while a thousand conversations take place. Team Campbell's members chant "Soup! Soup! Soup!" as the team photo is taken. Team Copaxone goes into the tent for the team photo about 6:30 AM, and I'm so nervous I take the bike in with me. A few minutes later, the top three teams in fund-raising from the previous year are sent off as the sun rises, and I and a few thousand others await the start.

6:50 AM - Our group is released onto Woodcrest Road. The road is closed to automobile traffic this morning, but bicycle traffic creates its own problems. The large number of cyclists forced onto a small road with an up grade means speeds are slow. I feel like I'm executing a track stand continuously for the first half-mile. I stop and dismount once, and then gingerly reenter the broad stream of cyclists. Once over the top of the hill the pack begins to spread out, pick up speed, and I become more stable on the bike.

To be continued.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast