Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Runnin' Man - Whips the Kiddies (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/349026-runnin-man-whips-kiddies.html)

SSP 10-01-07 08:44 AM

Runnin' Man - Whips the Kiddies

Woo-hoo!

I entered a 10K race yesterday morning, and set a personal best - 45:04 (a 7:15 / mile pace). :D

Not only did I win a nice beer mug for finishing first (out of 5) in the 50-54 age group, but I also finished 9th overall out of 76 finishers.

It feels good to beat all those young 'uns every once in a while...though, thank goodness for Advil this morning!

nmichell 10-01-07 12:42 PM

Congrats on the great run. That's a very fast pace you set. In exchange for getting my wife on a bike, I've taken up running. Can't say that I really see the attraction compared to cycling, but it does give you a workout.

SSP 10-01-07 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmichell (Post 5368878)
Congrats on the great run. That's a very fast pace you set. In exchange for getting my wife on a bike, I've taken up running. Can't say that I really see the attraction compared to cycling, but it does give you a workout.

Yeah...I've been running for over a year now, and have yet to really discover the "Joy of Running". :rolleyes:

It's mostly hard work, and I've injured myself several times already (including a stress fracture of my fibula that kept me off the running trails and off the bike for over a month!). I still prefer the speed and technology that are part of cycling.

But running does provide a very good, time efficient workout, and I feel much more complete as an athlete from being able to do it (I know plenty of hard core cyclists who could not run more than 3 miles).

And, for getting in some exercise when you're traveling, it's hard to beat - a pair of running shoes and shorts fit in a suitcase a whole lot easier than my bike!

SSP 10-01-07 01:11 PM

Oh, and my first place finish was helped by the fact that:

a) one of the fast guys in my age group pulled out of the race with a calf muscle strain

b) there was a half marathon option, and a lot of the fast guys entered that instead of the 10K.

But, still...I got the beer mug and the red ribbon, so Life is Good!

doctor j 10-01-07 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSP (Post 5369016)
I know plenty of hard core cyclists who could not run more than 3 miles

I'm not a hard core cyclist, perhaps an enthusiastic one, and I couldn't run a half mile. Glad you showed the young punks what an old fart can do when his (or her) mind is set on the goal. Congratulations!

Red Baron 10-02-07 05:00 AM

Congrats!!!!!!! Feels good doesn't it!!!!!!!

donheff 10-02-07 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSP (Post 5369016)

But running does provide a very good, time efficient workout, and I feel much more complete as an athlete from being able to do it (I know plenty of hard core cyclists who could not run more than 3 miles).

I wish I could run but even short runs make my ankles swell and my knees scream. I just hope I can keep walking fairly long distances - I have shoe orthotics to help that.

PaulH 10-02-07 08:25 AM

Good going! I ran cross country in prep school and 10K races until about 15 years ago. I had a dream about racing last night, so you may have inspired me to get back into it. It does get into one's blood.

Paul

DougG 10-02-07 10:22 AM

That's a really good time for a 10K, with appropriate age-group results. I didn't start running "seriously" until I was 50, so at 61 I am still improving and setting PRs. I'm now doing sub-2-hour HMs. I only do about one 10K a year, and my last was about 54 minutes. But as long as I can run a 10K in less than my age and ride my age on a bicycle, I think I'm in pretty good shape. :)

By the way, I also get the same perverse pleasure from reading the results and seeing all the people that I beat that are 20+ years younger!