My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Runnin' Man - Whips the Kiddies

Woo-hoo!

I entered a 10K race yesterday morning, and set a personal best - 45:04 (a 7:15 / mile pace).

Not only did I win a nice beer mug for finishing first (out of 5) in the 50-54 age group, but I also finished 9th overall out of 76 finishers.

It feels good to beat all those young 'uns every once in a while...though, thank goodness for Advil this morning!
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the great run. That's a very fast pace you set. In exchange for getting my wife on a bike, I've taken up running. Can't say that I really see the attraction compared to cycling, but it does give you a workout.

SSP
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmichell View Post
    Congrats on the great run. That's a very fast pace you set. In exchange for getting my wife on a bike, I've taken up running. Can't say that I really see the attraction compared to cycling, but it does give you a workout.
    Yeah...I've been running for over a year now, and have yet to really discover the "Joy of Running".

It's mostly hard work, and I've injured myself several times already (including a stress fracture of my fibula that kept me off the running trails and off the bike for over a month!). I still prefer the speed and technology that are part of cycling.

But running does provide a very good, time efficient workout, and I feel much more complete as an athlete from being able to do it (I know plenty of hard core cyclists who could not run more than 3 miles).

And, for getting in some exercise when you're traveling, it's hard to beat - a pair of running shoes and shorts fit in a suitcase a whole lot easier than my bike!

SSP
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and my first place finish was helped by the fact that:

a) one of the fast guys in my age group pulled out of the race with a calf muscle strain

b) there was a half marathon option, and a lot of the fast guys entered that instead of the 10K.

But, still...I got the beer mug and the red ribbon, so Life is Good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    I know plenty of hard core cyclists who could not run more than 3 miles

I'm not a hard core cyclist, perhaps an enthusiastic one, and I couldn't run a half mile. Glad you showed the young punks what an old fart can do when his (or her) mind is set on the goal. Congratulations!

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!!!!!!! Feels good doesn't it!!!!!!!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post

But running does provide a very good, time efficient workout, and I feel much more complete as an athlete from being able to do it (I know plenty of hard core cyclists who could not run more than 3 miles).
    I wish I could run but even short runs make my ankles swell and my knees scream. I just hope I can keep walking fairly long distances - I have shoe orthotics to help that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good going! I ran cross country in prep school and 10K races until about 15 years ago. I had a dream about racing last night, so you may have inspired me to get back into it. It does get into one's blood.

Paul

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really good time for a 10K, with appropriate age-group results. I didn't start running "seriously" until I was 50, so at 61 I am still improving and setting PRs. I'm now doing sub-2-hour HMs. I only do about one 10K a year, and my last was about 54 minutes. But as long as I can run a 10K in less than my age and ride my age on a bicycle, I think I'm in pretty good shape.

By the way, I also get the same perverse pleasure from reading the results and seeing all the people that I beat that are 20+ years younger!