User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of a fat rant I guess

Why do I keep hearing the phrase, "you don't want to be too thin"? Almost 2 years ago, I was 75 pounds heavier (237 pounds at 5'8") than today (162 pounds). Went from a 46 waist to 34. It fit the lifestyle, total couch potato, stuffing my face every half an hour. Then, one day, I got scared of the possible health problems that may come, so decided to cut out all junk foods, sugars, and fats, and picked up the daily walks. More than a year later, it brought me down to a 37 waist.

Then, rediscovered cycling again 3 months ago and that knocked off another 3 inches from the waist and the goal today is my high school size of a 29 waist and 142 pounds. (when I was racing in the 70's, I was this size)

Now, from everyone I know that's seen me at 237 pounds, most all say, "you don't want to get too thin!" and others look at me with a strange eye as if to ask "is he sick?" this is very maddening to me! What is wrong with these people? yes! I do want to get that thin and maybe even thinner!

I'm not even trying to lose fat any longer, it just keeps coming off with the (mostly hard and continually longer) miles.

knotty

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do what you want, just be sure you feel great!

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it's just their reaction to seeing you lose so much weight. They probably grew used to seeing you as a larger person, and this is a drastic change for them. Probably, those who knew your thinner self from high school wouldn't have this reaction. I've (luckily) always been on the thin side (I'm 5'10" or a little over and around 165 lbs). So long as you're healthy, and eating right, I don't see anything wrong with it. With all that's in the news these days about eating disorders and all, those that didn't know you used to be naturally thin are probably just concerned. Maybe carry a high school picture to show those who are concerned that you're losing too much weight.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knotty View Post
    Why do I keep hearing the phrase, "you don't want to be too thin"? Almost 2 years ago, I was 75 pounds heavier (237 pounds at 5'8") than today (162 pounds). Went from a 46 waist to 34. It fit the lifestyle, total couch potato, stuffing my face every half an hour. Then, one day, I got scared of the possible health problems that may come, so decided to cut out all junk foods, sugars, and fats, and picked up the daily walks. More than a year later, it brought me down to a 37 waist.

Then, rediscovered cycling again 3 months ago and that knocked off another 3 inches from the waist and the goal today is my high school size of a 29 waist and 142 pounds. (when I was racing in the 70's, I was this size)

Now, from everyone I know that's seen me at 237 pounds, most all say, "you don't want to get too thin!" and others look at me with a strange eye as if to ask "is he sick?" this is very maddening to me! What is wrong with these people? yes! I do want to get that thin and maybe even thinner!

I'm not even trying to lose fat any longer, it just keeps coming off with the (mostly hard and continually longer) miles.

knotty
    They are envious. They don't want you to succeed at something they have failed at. It reminds me of when I was quitting smoking years ago. Smokers would urge me to "have just one." They wanted me to stay hooked.

By the way, congratulations on the weight loss! Remember, you can't be too thin or too rich. Use that as your comeback to these folks!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Cannondale Road Warrior
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are envious.

+100000 I know I'm jealous! I'm short (most Filipinos are) at 5'7" and heavy (most Filipinos aren't) at 200 plus. I dropped to about 205 from 230 and sort of hit a wall, but I'm working on it...

Do what is right for you! You're healthy in mind, spirit and body and that's a great thing! Congratulations!
    "Study your math, kids. Key to the Universe." - Gabriel in The Prophecy

Biker looking for a ride!
    My Bikes
    Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    They are envious. They don't want you to succeed at something they have failed at. It reminds me of when I was quitting smoking years ago. Smokers would urge me to "have just one." They wanted me to stay hooked.

By the way, congratulations on the weight loss! Remember, you can't be too thin or too rich. Use that as your comeback to these folks!
    I would say they are nervious.....anytime someone looses a lot of weight people get consirned they are going to stop at some point...if you know what you should weight then don't worry about it till you get there...just let the comments slide off and be happy that you have friends that care...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah! Holy weigt loss batman. The only thing I can add is you may not get back to your high school weight but that is OK. My thinking is you will settle into your ideal weight for the activity and calories you are consluming. After 2 years I am quite happy to be at 5'6" 139lbs. Down from 174 which was way too much to carry for my size. I was 125 soaking wet in HS.

Great job. I know you feel much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in the best shape of my life, a bit more than 10 years ago and close to 40 years old, my mother told me I had lost too much weight and looked too thin. Guess some people prefer those around them to be fat and unhealthy instead of thin and healthy.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Old myth. For many in the previous generation (there was one) thin people were assumed to be sick and healthy people consumed a good amount of food.

Mange

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are jealous. Or, they don't understand the concept of intentional weight loss.

Five people have asked me if I am sick or if I tried to lose weight.

While I'm at it, why do some people who see me eating healthy food assume I'm "on a diet"??? That's like assuming someone who is eating a cookie is on a binge.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I believe they are envious and, believe the myth as maddmaxx states that thin is unhealthy, that's the feeling I get, while they enjoy those 4000 calorie dinners...LOL.

Starting to drop that last 20 pounds is something else. For quite a while, I rode 25 to 30 miles regularly and watched what I ate but that tire around the middle stayed the same. Then, I upped the mileage to 50 staying in the aerobic zone all the way and surprise, the tire is finally shrinking again. And, most happily, the hills are getting noticibly easier.

knotty

My bike is total crap
    My Bikes
    It's a serious piece of crap. Really. I'm not kidding.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tell them you don't want to be that thin either, but you love your meth too much to give up now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5'8"
    stop and stay at 155

that is not too thin. it is about ideal, unless you are racing for money. if so... then you go to 140.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At our age when friends lose a lot of weight it can be -- is all too often --a very bad sign.
    Having lost 50 I get some of the same comments. I try to hear them in the spirit they are offered. Often it's someone concerned I have a serious illness.
    They don't realize I've just caught a bike bug for which there is no cure...
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be envy or jealousy...but, it may simply be due to the fact that what's considered "normal" has become "super-sized". With the skyrocketing rates of obesity and overweight, what used to be a "normal" body now appears "skinny", because most people are used to seeing nothing but fat people around them.

If you've watched any of the recent Ken Burns documentary, "The War", you'll see what I mean. Nearly everyone from the Greatest Generation looks like a bean pole, compared to today's generation of fatties.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroPt99 View Post
    Just tell them you don't want to be that thin either, but you love your meth too much to give up now.

But seriously, I too, believe it's envy and/or fear. Many people are afraid of the slightest bit of change. When they see it they become uncomfortable.

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty rare to hear someone say "Are you all right? You seem to be getting awfully fat lately."

Then again, how many folks with serious illnesses seem to get thin rather rapidly? Some of the questioning might just be genuine, loving concern.
    Just Peddlin' Around

Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, guess the best way to look at it is that of concern. It's just a hard thing to hear after all the hard work one puts into losing even a small amount of weight.

I know SSP, just on the news recently, they were saying overweight is epidemic, especially with kids. So, I look at the local Jr. High school yard and it seems to be true.

That's true Louis, I know many that do the exact same thing every day, even if it's killing them and there's nothing you can say to change them. Health is such a important thing, you'd think they would at least try to make some effort to better themselves.

knotty

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edzo View Post
    5'8"
    stop and stay at 155

that is not too thin. it is about ideal, unless you are racing for money. if so... then you go to 140.
    There is such a thing as too thin. At your height I would think that anywhere from 135 to 160 is about right. Is your Doc worried, his opinion is probably the only one that really matters. My guess is your goals are reasonable though.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the "you're too thin" repeatedly from two (very) close relatives, whom I love and will not be further defined. I 'm 6' 2" and at my largest was at 225 lbs. Currently my weight varies from about 163 to 167. I'm sure some of that is due to the variation in the scales. I'm fairly happy at this size and weight. According to the charts, I believe I'm OK for my height.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 155 to 160 most of my younger life then started putting on weight and was 195 at the beginning of the summer and I turn 60 on the 13th of this month. Was a football player and track runner in h.s. and ran marathons later. Went on a diet with my wife and started cycling in June. Now at 167 (I'm 6'1") my wife worries about me being too thin but it's just about perfect from where I sit. I'm in great shape now, more energy and even when I pig out lose it again very fast. Eating a LOT healthier but still get to eat what I want if something is appealing or if I have "saved up". After my 48 mile ride Saturday went to a great burger drive-in joint and enjoyed myself. I too have noticed that as my mileage increases, my weight drops easily. I feel light and much stronger. Going to lift weight this winter and get stronger in the legs, stomach and back plus a little arm/chest work so I might gain weight a bit but concerned with health more than exact weight. As long as you know how good you feel it doesn't matter. You can get too thin, I guess but as long as you're not obsessed with the weight loss go for it and be healthy. There is concern out there, a bit of jealousy too and also people who aren't athletic don't get that side of it...the lean muscle. My doctor wasn't disappointed particularly when they took my blood pressure and it was 109 over 63.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who hooked up with a guy who had extremely strict eating habits. She was not overweight at all, but within a few months started looking like Angelina Jolie does these days. It was not jealousy on my part when I expressed concern that she was getting too thin. Sometimes it's the sign of an eating disorder or something else going on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knotty View Post

knotty
    if 162 is overweight at 5'8, i am betweeen 5'7 and 5'8 and i weigh 193, i must be a cow, or an elephant, or even a hipopotimus, i guess i have a good reason for my avatar

edit just kidding i thought that said "you don't want to be thin?" instead of too thin
    hi

My Bikes
    '73 schwinn speedster, motobecane phantom cross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your huge weight loss is probably shocking to people who are used to seeing you a certain way, and for whatever reason, they attribute your loss to some negative cause. Give them and your body time, and they'll come around.

I lost quite a bit of weight when I started exercising regularly, but it took a while for me to "look right" while thin. I guess it takes our skin some time to adjust for the space that excess fat used to take. People can mistake this loose look for an illness.

And +1 to the poster who mentioned people's concerns about eating disorders. While there are many who legitimately suffer from eating disorders, it is unfair for people to instantly assume that a big guy that loses a huge chunk of weight is part of that group. Some people, when they see such a big change, imagine that there must be a deep, dark secret behind the change. (eating disorder, surgery, cancer). Not fair, perhaps, but not much you can do but ignore them and hop back on the bike.

Keep eating right, keep riding ,and work on strength and toning, and everything should be fine. Once you start to balance out your frame, people will probably stop insinuating that you're sick. And soon the same people might start questioning your new bike and workout obsessions--some people always want to get in your business. Congrats on your successes. Keep it up!

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The opinion of others must be carefully put in context.
    I biked a 46 mile round trip MUP today. This MUP is near a town with a metro population of 250,000. I was the only biker there. The weather was perfect F76 no rain.
    I made a study of the 10 people I know best. Not one follows a regular exercise program. Most do not exercise at all. Most are overweight. Some obese. Some cannot walk a mile.

I also dropped over 50# and went from size 46 to 34. I get the same comments. Nobody I know understands why I train and want to go across the USA by bike. It is lonely out there for us but I know there are others. Just very few.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast