User Tag List

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Failing the Bar Exam

Thats it. After 232 miles with the aerobars I am declairing myself an abject failure and am returning to a previous control grouping. The learning curve is indeed very steep. I had achieved a level of success riding the bars in normal situations. They were really cool for long downhill on the bar coasting sessions. I got the bike setup so that it was reasonably comfortable to ride (there had been some discussion about placing a bend in the top tube to more easily accomodate my newly "aero" position) but I am unable to put any significant power into the pedal stroke without eventually suffering the dreaded wobble.

Add to that any sudden distraction or emergency like a pothole to avoid or a passing 18 wheeler (I actually saw him coming in the mirror and sat up on the outer bars before becoming road kill) and I felt like my life was going to end.

Since my go straight under all circumstances riding skills are probably not going to improve (I have some theories about older gentlemen and their inner ears) I am declaring this experiment null and void. I had fun trying it but..........I am getting out with my life while I can.

Now I have firsthand knowledge of why no one would want to be near one of these bikes in a paceline.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 10-01-07 at 04:10 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was wondering how you were getting on with them- Think I'll stay with my drops.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update, I was also thinking about getting them on my new bike.
    George