Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure picked the wrong time to give up smoking and booze!

Trust me, there is no wrong time to give up booze.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same issue with my son. His only alternative now is to drive a car that doesn't require collision insurance for a few years until he's eligible for lower rates. He's in his last year of college and car-less right now, so will have to be on his own policy anyway in the future.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be irresponsible . . . cancel insurance, sell the car(s); take the bike/bus/rent-a-car/take a cab when needed. Go car-free!

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post

The insurance companies are not at fault; John Q. Public is at fault for causing so much carnage on our highways and not holding up the mirror occasionally to see who is ultimately responsible for high premiums.
    The insurance companies exist to make money, period! If they were trying to be fair, they would let those that play pay. Instead, they spread the cost of poor driving habits across the population. I've been driving for 46 years, and never had a claim against an automobile policy, but I still pay rates that are weighted in favor of the driver with insurance points on their license.

It's similar to the boss who penalizes all employees because one or two of them are habitually late for work. I say, fire the tardies and reward the one's that support the business through their good work habits.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These are the same insurance companies that do their best to avoid payouts and are presently under investigation in many states for unfair charging practices. You might also ask what size bonus the CEO gets and what stock options are being handed out.

John Q Public has problems but there are many sharks in the water waiting to take advantage of them.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stonecrd is right. I carry a lot of insurance but have as high as a deductible as possible. As far as I'm concerned the whole insurance thing would be much better off to have catastrophic insurance with high deductibles. Same with health insurance. It might prevent people from overusing their insurance with a lot of small er stuff (fender benders, glass insurance, etc. with auto insurance - or minor aches and pains with health insurance) It's human nature to want to get whatever you paid to an insurance company back, so unfortunately a lot of people's attitude with insurance tends to be like the Scotchman who, every time he drove by a gas station with a sign "FREE AIR" he blew out four tires!

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who has had 3 major surgeries in 3 years, I am very grateful and very satisfied with my health insurance coverage. It definitely came in handy. My bills totalled just over $550,000! I paid around $12,000.

OK so insurance companies like anything else is a commercial enterprise. Of course they are in it for money. Isn't the comapny you work for? How else do they operate if they can't make money? Bottom line there are lots of companies out there all competing for your business. If you feel your rates are high, keep looking. There are always alternatives.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
    As someone who has had 3 major surgeries in 3 years, I am very grateful and very satisfied with my health insurance coverage. It definitely came in handy. My bills totalled just over $550,000! I paid around $12,000.

OK so insurance companies like anything else is a commercial enterprise. Of course they are in it for money. Isn't the comapny you work for? How else do they operate if they can't make money? Bottom line there are lots of companies out there all competing for your business. If you feel your rates are high, keep looking. There are always alternatives.
    I was just ranting. I realize they have to make a profit. It's a shock to go from a fairly low premium to a high one. They will recover their payout on the accident in 18 months, but I doubt my rates will come down then or even for a long time after that, if she remains on my policy. Interestingly, even though she's not driving right now, I can't take her off the policy unless she moves out of my house. So for now, I'll be paying to insure her when she's not even driving.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually you can have her specifically excluded from your policy and that will bring down the payment. Of course that means she can not in any way drive any of your cars ever again (until she is an adult and on your own).
    Last edited by Pamestique; 10-03-07 at 09:08 PM.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    I was just ranting. I realize they have to make a profit. It's a shock to go from a fairly low premium to a high one. They will recover their payout on the accident in 18 months, but I doubt my rates will come down then or even for a long time after that, if she remains on my policy. Interestingly, even though she's not driving right now, I can't take her off the policy unless she moves out of my house. So for now, I'll be paying to insure her when she's not even driving.
    One of the tidbits that I have read indicated that company loyalty to you is a thing of the past. Insurance companies want your business so bad that starting rates are like introductory cable TV plans. The end result of this is insurance buyers are advised to shop every renewal for significantly better primiums. 2 or three calls later and you could be looking at half the price. 2 or 3 years with the same company will result in significant "invisable" rate hikes.

My Bikes
    Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check rates with other companies. My daughter at 17 had a minor fender-bender that did $1500 to the other person's car...daughter at fault. They tried to double our premiums. We looked into other companies and lowered our rate to less than we had paid the other company before her accident.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12