Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Amazing Experience

Not a bicycle story but since most of the 50 plusers seem to be into nature, I'm going to tell it here anyway. A couple of friends and I went backpacking over the weekend in the Cataloochee section of the Great Smoky Mountains. After making camp, we hiked to the area where elk, which have been reintroduced over the past few years, can sometimes be spotted. We came upon a big field that contained eight cows and one bull, a monsterous animal with a full set of horns on one side but just one "spike" on the other. The rut was evidentially in full force and this bull was strutting around, charging trees, and bugling a high-pitched wailing cry ever so often. Then another bull in an adjacent field answered his call and headed toward the first bull just a hundred feet from where we were watching. Both bulls slowly moved toward each other, then proceeded to walk along side by side as if they were feeling each other out. Then suddenly, one of them wheeled around to challenge the other. They had several full speed collisions, very loud and violent, then circled around and around like boxers with their antlers entertwined. The charging and the circling repeated several times over a ten minutes period. What an amazing sight to see in person, up close!! Finally the original bull was defeated and ran off, pursued by the new champion! The winner returned shortly and proceeded to move the herd of cows (who had paid very little attention during the fierce fight) into the area from where he originated. He tried to breed with several of the cows but was shunned every time. I guess you could say that he won the fight but lost the war. Through all this, I felt like Marlin Perkins was going to interrupt with a Mutual of Omaha commerical at any time.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool! That must have really been something to see. I guess it may take a while before the cows accept the new leader.

I'm looking forward to seeing a similar scene acted out this Saturday between Uga and Smoky. May the best dawg win.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - great experience and story! thanks for sharing!

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Very cool! That must have really been something to see. I guess it may take a while before the cows accept the new leader.

I'm looking forward to seeing a similar scene acted out this Saturday between Uga and Smoky. May the best dawg win.
    Smoky has been bugling all week long!! I just hope that UGA doesn't take our women back to Georgia with him. Maybe he will take Fulmer instead. Vols are a 2 pt. favorite which is ridiculous. Our defense is non-existant! My blood runs orange but my money is on the Dawgs! Good Luck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story. Reminds me of high school!

Some call it God's country. I call it Acton, Maine
    My Bikes
    Too Many - 7 or 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyTopBiker View Post
    ..............The winner returned shortly and proceeded to move the herd of cows (who had paid very little attention during the fierce fight) into the area from where he originated. He tried to breed with several of the cows but was shunned every time. I guess you could say that he won the fight but lost the war. ..........
    Just goes to show that women are the same no matter how many feet they have.

It is always special to witness nature in person. Great story. Thanks.
    Keep it 'tween the ditches

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That story sounds like like a bunch of bull to me! Sorry, but you knew someone was gonna say it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the bulls were just cold and wanted to slip into a nice warm jersey.