Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

"Excuse me . . . . "

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

"Excuse me . . . . "

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-07, 09:16 AM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
"We are not supposed to wear our helmets in the store."
The cool thing is that it implies that the child fully accepts wearing a helmet when he rides with Mom!
Old 10-03-07, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You all wear helmets?
Old 10-03-07, 10:57 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1-Gary Fisher Sugar-Litespeed Ultimate

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Wearing a bicycle helmet inside the grocery store? That's almost as bad a faux pas as riding a white bike after Labor Day. Tsk, tsk.
Taking the helmet off isn't going to help the looks of an old guy with helmet hair, spandex, funny shoes and a smelly jersey. Besides this is the over 50 forum......we don't care what other people think.
Function over form is my moto since becoming an old fart.
Old 10-03-07, 11:04 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everyone is assuming that DnvrFox was wearing his helmet in the store due to using it for riding his bike to the store.

The reality is that he falls a lot in stores ...
Old 10-03-07, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no, the kid once saw a sign saying 'no helmets in the store' and mom
explained that to the kid

and that sign was referring to full-face motorcycle helmets,
they need to take them off for security or theft reasons. lots of
robberies with helmets on.
Old 10-03-07, 06:28 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
This is the kind of crap that makes many, many little kids hate ALL cyclists. Even those of us that go into the store responsibly. Remind me to ignore anything you post.
Pretty soon you won't need to check the forums cause you'll be ignoring everybody
Old 10-03-07, 07:47 PM
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
Just sling it over your arm and use it as a small shopping basket
Hey do you do that too?
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 10-04-07, 05:33 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I would want to eat anything that spent time in my helmet

2013 Noah RS
Old 10-04-07, 05:46 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
I don't think I would want to eat anything that spent time in my helmet
Well, I bought a couple pounds of grapes - on sale. They were wet and a bit juicy. That would be an interesting helmet to put on my head after being "baptized" in grape juice!

I have become fascinated by the number of folks who think that not taking your helmet off in a huge grocery store is somehow a violation of some sort of behavioral standard or society paradigm.

I have a hard time with that in today's world. Yes, I take my hat off in a home or my church. But in a huge grocery store for an "in and out" - to me that is stretching things a bit.

Different cultural expectations. Different parts of the country.
Old 10-04-07, 05:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The kid was right.
Old 10-04-07, 06:18 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I bought a couple pounds of grapes - on sale. They were wet and a bit juicy. That would be an interesting helmet to put on my head after being "baptized" in grape juice!

My grapes come in plastic bags

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-04-07, 06:23 AM
Banned.

My grapes come in plastic bags
So do ours, but the bags have drainage holes in them.
Old 10-04-07, 06:37 AM
Banned.

You guys all need a refresher in etiquette and manners!

https://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0031/

"A man removes his hat:

When he stops to talk with a woman he knows on the street, in an elevator, an apartment building or hotel.
When he is walking with a woman and she stops to talk with another woman. If his companion stops to talk with another man, he does not remove his hat.
When women are in close proximity and removing his hat is practicable--club, hotel, apartment house elevators, foyers. He usually does not remove his hat in public buildings such as railroad or bus terminals, in office building corridors and elevators, nor does he remove his hat when walking through hotel lobbies and department stores, or in other stores."

Apologies accepted!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-04-07 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-04-07, 06:54 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't google and the internet wonderful. You have a question about wearing hats in public and you can get the definitive answer in seconds.

2013 Noah RS
Old 10-04-07, 07:31 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
That is for hats. It does not address helmets. Also does not address being a mean old man and scaring kids who are just trying to be good and be helpful.
Old 10-04-07, 07:47 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Just sling it over your arm and use it as a small shopping basket
I've done that when shopping at my local overpriced organic food store. The same store with a lot full of SUVs and no bike rack, I add.

Old 10-04-07, 07:50 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

I have become fascinated by the number of folks who think that not taking your helmet off in a huge grocery store is somehow a violation of some sort of behavioral standard or society paradigm.

I have a hard time with that in today's world. Yes, I take my hat off in a home or my church. But in a huge grocery store for an "in and out" - to me that is stretching things a bit.

Different cultural expectations. Different parts of the country.
I don't understand the fuss myself. I've sometimes worn my helmet in a store, and sometimes taken it off. No one's stared at me because the helmet. Now, because I wore lycra and my Fat Cyclist jersey, that's another story.

Old 10-04-07, 02:10 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I go down to my Cafe on the seafront quite often and I imobilise the bike outside-Take glasses and gloves off and put them in my rear pocket but never take my helmet off- I am not leaving it outside to walk off. I always wear the helmet because trying to carry a tray and the helmet could be awkward- if not dangerous. The staff at the cafe know me well but a couple of months ago- I took the helmet off and left it at an outside table to reserve my seat. When I got served(Self service here) the owner asked me if I had done a long ride- "No"- I said- "Why do you say that". Her reply was "It's just that you look weary today as if you are worn out"

A Bit of Digging and What she really meant was that with my grey beard and unkemp grey hair- I looked older than normal.

I keep the helmet on all the time now at that cafe- Till I get outside and sit at the table.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-04-07, 03:04 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
That is for hats. It does not address helmets. Also does not address being a mean old man and scaring kids who are just trying to be good and be helpful.
Dood, that was harsh. That was harsh.
Old 10-04-07, 03:22 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I didn't want to leave it outside to get stolen. I just needed a few items, and if I needed to use both hands I couldn't, as one would be holding the helmet, ergo, I left it on. I don't consider that much of a faux pas in a huge grocery store. A restaurant or home would be a bit different, IMHO. Also, I think there are some regional differences in expectations on such issues. This is a very relaxed community, and lots of folks wear helmets in grocery stores.
When I go to the grocery store I usually take Maynard, my touring bike with a trunk bag on the back. Then I roll Maynard down the aisles of the store with my helmet attached to the handle bars and place groceries in the trunk bag (usually ice cream for root beer floats, mmmmmm good). Interesting story; A few weeks ago as I (self) checked out, this guy came up to me and asked in a rather sarcastic voice, "They allow bicycles in the store?" My response was, "I guess so, they seem to take my money without any complaints, and I don't see where my 2 wheels create any more of a problem than the 4 wheels of a shopping cart. I guess some people just don't like us cyclists. And some people can't keep their nose out of other people's business.
Old 10-04-07, 03:51 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Dood, that was harsh. That was harsh.
Aww, come on. I was kidding around. I put a winkie on it and everything.
Old 10-06-07, 07:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This website nails it: https://www.bcvc.net/hats/

Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, courtroom or restaurant) except:

(6) if carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.