Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seagull Century Anyone?

I'm riding the Seagull Century this weekend Oct 6th out of Salisbury MD. It's a wonderful well supported event with over 6,000 riders. Traditionally it's overcast, cool, and has horrible headwinds. I'm hoping for a rare sunny day.

I'll be wearing my 50+ jersey - perhaps other BF50+ can meet?

I'll be riding slower and taking longer breaks (my training lapsed the last 2 weeks with a bad cold). If the winds are rough again I may have to do the metric.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds cool.

My Bikes
    November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2005's ride was in the remnants of a hurricane. I think the 1st 80 miles (at least as far as the pie stop) were in downpour and high winds. At least it was relatively warm. 2006 was, I think, cold and windy (maybe wet? I had to cancel last minute). 2004 I've been told was the most recent nice weather ride. The long-range forecast for THIS Saturday looks very nice - so of course I'm hoping work and family obligations don't force a last-minute cancellation!

robtown - you're in the next town over from me - do you ever wear your BF 50+ jersey on the W&OD?

My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robtown,

I too plan to ride the Seagull this weekend. As I've not been training much, however (long story), I'll probably limit myself to a metric century. But instead of following the metric route, I plan to ride the regular century route and simply stop at the barrier island.

I'll be wearing my Bikeforums jersey, hope to see you there!

P.S. There's a 50+ jersey? I officially joined "the club" earlier this year, but didn't realize someone had come up with a specific design.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like fun. Gotta do it sometime. I'll be in Massachusetts on the Great River Ride, universe willing.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1g View Post
    2004 I've been told was the most recent nice weather ride. The long-range forecast for THIS Saturday looks very nice - so of course I'm hoping work and family obligations don't force a last-minute cancellation!
    robtown - you're in the next town over from me - do you ever wear your BF 50+ jersey on the W&OD?
    2004 was the first I rode [had to cancel 2003] and it was glorious weather. 2005 I stopped at 38miles because I wasn't fit enough - and it was raining [if warm]. Last year it took 8 hours of stop and go driving to reach Salisbury and my leg/knees went out on me during the ride. I still did the century against miserable headwinds - both directions.

I probably wont' wear the jersey till next spring when I'll be 10 - 15 lbs lighter although I intend to try it for the century.

Quote Originally Posted by BillK View Post
    Robtown,
    I too plan to ride the Seagull this weekend. As I've not been training much, however (long story), I'll probably limit myself to a metric century. But instead of following the metric route, I plan to ride the regular century route and simply stop at the barrier island.

I'll be wearing my Bikeforums jersey, hope to see you there!

P.S. There's a 50+ jersey? I officially joined "the club" earlier this year, but didn't realize someone had come up with a specific design.
    Yep - and the second order is being gathered: NEW 50 jersey order thread (reorder)
    My "Large" is going to be a bit snug while I loose another 15 lbs [I'm forward thinking ]
    I'd stop at the barrier island but then I'd be stranded - unless they have a sag bus.
    Last edited by robtown; 10-02-07 at 10:01 PM.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd planned on riding the Seagull this year but my schedule didn't work out. Will be at the Bike Ride Between the Waters on the Eastern Shore at Cape Charles, VA on Oct. 27 again this year. Any 50 plusers going to make that?

Ned

My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    2004 was the first I rode [had to cancel 2003] and it was glorious weather. 2005 I stopped at 38miles because I wasn't fit enough - and it was raining [if warm]. Last year it took 8 hours of stop and go driving to reach Salisbury and my leg/knees went out on me during the ride. I still did the century against miserable headwinds - both directions.
    2004 was the first year I rode (full century) and the weather was perfect...sunny, but not too hot, light breeze.
    2005 was the year of the hurricane (metric). Pouring, driving rain, although it was warm.
    2006 was just a cold, rainy year (full century). The winds, as you noted, made much of the approach to the island miserable.
    2007...well, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    Yep - and the second order is being gathered: NEW 50 jersey order thread (reorder). I'd stop at the barrier island but then I'd be stranded - unless they have a sag bus.
    Thanks...I just placed my order. And stopping at the barrier island is why I bring along my own sag wagon! (i.e., my wife doesn't ride, but likes to tag along, hang out at the beach and encourage me along!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode Seagull in 2003 in driving rain and wind. My first century, on my 23 year old steel bike, and it took about 8 hours. I rode it in 2004 on my Trek 5200 . I skipped the two rainy years of 05 and 06.

However, this year I rode it with the intention of trying for a 5 hour time. Thanks to fast pacelines, a friend who pulled me a lot more than I pulled her, and skipping all the stops except Assateague, I am happy to say...................4:58 .