User Tag List

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

San Diego Ride Report

After a brief recovery from our return from Rome, we left on Saturday morning for San Diego and planned three days of riding. We decided to drive so that carrying bikes and equipment would be easier. It is fun to visit places you have lived previously, behave like a tourist and have local knowledge. Our first ride was from La Jolla UCSD to Carlsbad and back along the coast. It was a beautiful day and the ride was as we remembered it from many years ago. We cruised along Torrey Pines road past Torrey Pines Golf course and past the glider port. We descended Torrey Pines Hill and were treated to the beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean with Del Mar in the distance. We climbed the Del Mar hill and began our trek through the many beach towns along the ride arriving in Carlsbad. The total distance was 48 miles.

Bottom of Torrey Pines Hill view toward Del Mar

PCH approach to Carlsbad

When we lived in La Costa, we originated numerous runs from this location with a popular surfing beach called Swamis.

The next day we rode from the middle of Camp Pendleton, Marine Base, to San Juan Capistrano beach. This time, we had strong head winds on the way out and cross winds on the return. However, the 35 mile ride was magnificent with gorgeous views of the Pacific.

Here are some pics from San Juan Capistrano Beach

On Tuesday, we rode from our Hotel to La Jolla Cove, Pacific Beach and did a loop around Fiesta Island - 30 miles

La Jolla Cove - a non-tourist shot

PB looking toward LJ

Heading toward Fiesta Island at Mission Bay

Last edited by Hermes; 10-03-07 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Cat: Killer

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These pictures are fake. San Diego doesn't look nearly that good. Don't think about moving here, I'm telling you, it's ugly!

(Seriously -- great report!)
    2015 Sirrus Elite
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Digital Gee. If you're thinking of moving here after seeing those pics, don't. The sun never shines here. There are no bike lanes. The cops will arrest you if they see you riding in a lane. Swami's is polluted by incense.

Nice images, though. You almost had me fooled!

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific shots. Nice work.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely must be fakes. All that scenery and only a few cars and No bikes whatsoever. If that was any where in Europe- the bikes clubs would be out in their dozens and the Old fogies would be out in the sea air admiring Nature from their air conditioned Bentleys and Rolls.

Thank for the pics.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So. How was Rome?

Man oh man, what a great bunch of pictures. Thank you.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've played golf at Torrey Pines and recall the hill. What's the hill like on a bike? I hope you got in a little golf as well.....

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I've played golf at Torrey Pines and recall the hill. What's the hill like on a bike? I hope you got in a little golf as well.....
    The hill on the main highway is pretty easy, about 7 percent and a mile long, but you have to pace yourself. The worst part is the sweeping rightward bend which forms a false summit about 2/3 of the way up. The climb inside the park, on the former Coast Highway, is about 10 percent, with numerous switchback curves, from which the view is glorious.

That approach into Carlsbad along PCH is part of my morning commute. PCH is a great place to bike or run, but on weekends it suffers from its own popularity.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great ride report and pics! SD is only a hop away from us by car and we plan to take our bikes one day and ride. My grandmother lived in a nice retirement home in LJ until she passed away... her room looked right down onto the beach. LJ is a beautiful community, at least when we'd go to visit her (gosh more than 30 years ago now....).
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy Smokes! That place is like heaven on earth. I've been to SD only once for a conference and never really got to see everything. I've got to go there again...

Thanks for the report and the photos. Wow! BTW, you and your wife look great!

-soma5

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    So. How was Rome?
    It was fantastic. We are preparing the trip report. We have 550 digital pics. I have a writeup and now I have to put the pics with the words - a couple more days.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    No golf this time. With respect to Torrey Pines Hill, I raced a local up the hill. I did it in my 39/17 (I think: middle of rear cassette) and did not fall below 9 mph. I dropped him half way up as the pitch increases. The guy had been drafting my wife and I for a few miles and I knew it would be settled on TP.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Definitely must be fakes. All that scenery and only a few cars and No bikes whatsoever. If that was any where in Europe- the bikes clubs would be out in their dozens and the Old fogies would be out in the sea air admiring Nature from their air conditioned Bentleys and Rolls.

Thank for the pics.
    One should note that SD is a vacation destination and the summer is over. The best time of year for locals is after labor day. If this would have been in July or August, the look and feel of the coast would be completely different.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Thanks for the great ride report and pics! SD is only a hop away from us by car and we plan to take our bikes one day and ride. My grandmother lived in a nice retirement home in LJ until she passed away... her room looked right down onto the beach. LJ is a beautiful community, at least when we'd go to visit her (gosh more than 30 years ago now....).
    We lived in LJ on Mount Soledad and down the hill from our house was the Wind and Sea beach. It is a local beach that tourists do not attend and my wife and I would go there to chill out or for elfresco dinners. We did sunset dinner there on Sunday and saw the green flash. I could not believe it. We lived in SD for 16 years and never saw it until this week. We saw the green flash in the Caribean Sea. If you drive to LJ, check it out. Here is a pic of yet another beautiful beach.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
    BTW, you and your wife look great!

-soma5
    Thanks for the compliment...

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post

Thank for the pics.
    I have ridden parts of this stretch for several years now, on and off.

There can be LOTS of cyclists out, but if it is cold. . . well, alot of southern California cyclists are wusses when it comes to riding in below 60f weather. . .
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by foehn View Post

There can be LOTS of cyclists out, but if it is cold. . . well, alot of southern California cyclists are wusses when it comes to riding in below 60f weather. . .
    Yeah, that's why I asked about leg warmers! We have thin blood over here!
    2015 Sirrus Elite
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by foehn View Post

It was 73 degrees F and perfect cycling condtions. The coast down TP hill was even warm. There were other cyclists. The pics did not include them and there was not a constant stream of activity that one sees in the summer.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are really great shots! I don't ride North County near enough, mostly East County. The last time I rode from San Juan Capistrano to Solana Beach--great ride until you got into Oceanside, Encinitas etc., then you ran into traffic. The views around Torrey Pines are always great and it's a really fun ride. The hills aren't that bad climbing either. I loved stopping at the glider port to watch all the action, looks like people are having fun. Glad you enjoyed the city--anyone thinking of coming out to cycle, your only entitled to ONE visit, then you have to go home.LOL