Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You meet the most interesting people on a bike

As I did today. I passed a gentleman going the opposite way yesterday... and found him again as I rode the same route today. This time, the rider was going the same direction but ahead of me and I caught and passed him. Thinking he looked familiar, I slowed and waited for him and struck up a conversation as we rode along together.

Sure enough, he was the same fellow I'd met in passing yesterday. Turns out he's 80+ years old and today was the 93rd consecutive day he'd been out on a ride. He topped 1000 miles in August and has ridden across America 4 times (first time at 66 years of age); rode the ride around Mt. Ranier several times, etc. And didn't start riding until he was almost 60 years old.

I can only dream that by 80 I'll be able to accomplish some of what he has done.

Amazing!

Oh, and he was riding an older lugged steel bike, a Silk Hope with Campy gear. Wish I had my camera along. Maybe next time...

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll have to agree. On tours, we've meet fellow cycling tourers, some crossing the US. One night drank some beers with the cycletourists in the adjacent tent, touring Calif all the way from Scotland. On group tours, watched the attack women trying to tie up new boyfriends. Cyclists on tour are a freindly type. Lots ot talk about. Can't beat a bunch of cyclists about a campfire after doing an easy century. Time passes quickly until it's time to hit the sleeping bag.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's I guy I've ridden with around here like that--85 I think. Only he's been riding since he was a child in the old country. These days he tries for 10 miles a day, and hates having to ride the trainer during the winter.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week at the comp shop I work at I met this elderly german gentleman who originally came in to get his laptop worked on but upon seeing my bike sitting in the back of the shop took the conversation in a different direction.

We spent about two hours talking about old bikes, like the ones he had back in germany, and all the advancements since then (he'd been living in this town for 45 years), the riding I do now for commuting and for fun, and he went on to talk about the Kabuki he had sitting in his basement and how he should get it out and start riding it again.

Not necessarily a meeting on a bike but bikes were involved in it... and I'd love to got hold of some of those WW2 era bikes from the far side of the atlantic
    "Engineering! It's like math, but louder."

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it is confirmation that you do not need the all new, expensive, latest in style, to do what we do. Granted some bikes are easier to ride than others but when you are not in a hurry and have time to 'smell the roses', i think it is great... ... ...one of these days.
    peace

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother in law moved to the MS Gulf Coast several years ago. When he first moved down there, he lived two houses from the beach in Bay St. Louis. Before Katrina, there was a MUP on the beach thru BSL and Waveland, which he included in his regular loop. He says that every time he rode, no matter what time, what day, he would see an elderly man on a yellow cruiser, shirtless, wearing a cowboy hat, riding the MUP. He saw him so often, it appeared that he rode all day long. We always wondered how many miles a year he would cover. We have not seen him since the hurricane, tho, although I don't think the MUP is fully repaired yet, either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    As I did today. I passed a gentleman going the opposite way yesterday... and found him again as I rode the same route today. This time, the rider was going the same direction but ahead of me and I caught and passed him. Thinking he looked familiar, I slowed and waited for him and struck up a conversation as we rode along together.

My kids call this the WHOP syndrom...White Haired Old People always stopping
    to talk with each other. They say I've got it real bad.