Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Welcome Sputnik to the 50+ forum! (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/350128-welcome-sputnik-50-forum.html)

tcs 10-04-07 11:07 AM

Welcome Sputnik to the 50+ forum!

The space age began on October 4th, 1957!

Amazing all the things the launch of the earth's first artificial satilite has inspired.

TCS

PS - I think I'll spin Telstar on the turntable* when I get home.

*Kids- ask your parents!

Artkansas 10-04-07 11:52 AM

We would do well to remember that Terriers achieved space travel before people did. It has been said that they are actually space aliens stranded on Earth. Trying to return to the stars I guess. What strange power do they have over us?

http://img.search.com/c/c9/Laika.jpg

jm01 10-04-07 11:58 AM

I Laika that dog

stapfam 10-04-07 12:28 PM

I think Sputnik gave me my interest in all things to do with space. I can still remember listening to the radio when it was announced that the Russians had got a satellite in space. Was 10 at the time and we had just moved to the country from London. Next day at School and I got detention for not paying attention to the teacher. The first of many that I had over the years. Funnily enough the detention was all about Space and I blame that teacher for years wasted reading science fiction books.

Artkansas 10-04-07 01:01 PM

When Sputnik flew, I was only 3 and completely unaware of it. However I do remember Trick or Treating and pumpkins which were larger than Sputnik from a few weeks after that.

cccorlew 10-04-07 01:01 PM

Also: The first "Leave it to Beaver"
The death of Janis Joplin
And... drum roll....
My birthday!

The Weak Link 10-04-07 01:05 PM

In Kiev they seemed to have no love for the old Soviet Union. They had some very funny Tshirts like McLennon ("over one billion oppressed") and such.

But everyone apparently loves Yuri Gargarin. I wish I had bought me a Gargarin tshirt. He appeared to be a very handsome and charismatic man.

airbrake 10-04-07 02:17 PM

The movie October Sky is about this high school kid in WV who was inspired by Sputnik, started building
rockets, won the national science fair, and ended up working for NASA. Excelent movie.

The Weak Link 10-04-07 02:48 PM

+1.

tsl 10-04-07 03:20 PM

Heh, this brought back memories. My grandfather used to call me Sputnik.

Louis 10-04-07 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 5392603)
Heh, this brought back memories. My grandfather used to call me Sputnik.

Because you were in orbit? :eek::lol:

tsl 10-04-07 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 5392939)
Because you were in orbit? :eek::lol:

Yeah, a real space captain.

jazzy_cyclist 10-05-07 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbrake (Post 5392123)
The movie October Sky is about this high school kid in WV who was inspired by Sputnik, started building
rockets, won the national science fair, and ended up working for NASA. Excelent movie.

I remember a large effort at that time to make kids aware of "science" so that we could compete against those pesky 'commonists'. I was in all kinds of science clubs, programs, etc. (remember Mr. Wizard?). I took the bait.

After dozens of calculus and other math/science courses in college and the hand-wringing about the scientific inadequacy of American education, I must admit that in my entire career, no one has ever asked me to do anything more complicated than addition.

Maybe NASA missed me....

Artkansas 10-05-07 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist (Post 5398319)
After dozens of calculus and other math/science courses in college and the hand-wringing about the scientific inadequacy of American education, I must admit that in my entire career, no one has ever asked me to do anything more complicated than addition.

Being in computer graphics I have to admit that I have had to use my math skills. It scares me when I do because despite getting through a couple of calculus classes I have a good case of dyscalculia. I understand the math, but have trouble with the arithmetic. I get dyslexic with numbers and the multiplication table never comes easily.

So I always use a calculator when it counts, but try to stay in practice by doing math in my head when possible.

Bud Bent 10-05-07 01:04 PM

I was too young to follow the Sputniks at the time, and I guess I never read that much about them, because I did not realize until this week that Sputnik 2 carried the dog to its death.

stapfam 10-05-07 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud Bent (Post 5399273)
I was too young to follow the Sputniks at the time, and I guess I never read that much about them, because I did not realize until this week that Sputnik 2 carried the dog to its death.

Little known fact- But it is said that the dog did not make it into orbit. It died shortly after takeoff But later successes were made with Animals- Leading up to Yuri being the Man of the decade.

This week- Radio 4 on the BBC has had as book of the week Red Moon Rising- a story about Sputnik and the russian Space Age

Each day is only 15 minutes and it will only be on the web page for afew days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/book_week.shtml

Bit of overlap from the preceding programme but well worth listeninhg to-Possible with a pinch of salt for facts but I believe it.

varuscelli 10-12-07 11:16 PM

Sputnik and I were launched the same week...yet I recall neither event...:rolleyes: