Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-07, 11:42 AM   #1
swan652
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This could have been avoided

http://www.sj-r.com/News/stories/17237.asp

I spoke to a friend of this person this morning and he said the victim never wore a helmet. So sad.
swan652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 11:53 AM   #2
jm01
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto & Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Ellsworth Id
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swan652 View Post
http://www.sj-r.com/News/stories/17237.asp

I spoke to a friend of this person this morning and he said the victim never wore a helmet. So sad.
I've seen two fatal bike/truck crashes here and both cyclists were wearing helmets, they didn't even stop their brains from leaking on the street...quite the mess.

I think that the incident in your link has more to do with stupidity and a cyclist who was not paying attention...geez, we even complain about drivers who drive with drinks in their hands.

too bad that the sentence for inattention and stupidity was death
jm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 11:58 AM   #3
Floyd
el padre
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South East Kansas
Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted
Posts: 1,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Another reminder that we need to be aware and use the 'attentive driving' attitude no matter what we are driving.
peace
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 12:05 PM   #4
jm01
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto & Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Ellsworth Id
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Another reminder that we need to be aware and use the 'attentive driving' attitude no matter what we are driving.
peace
no kidding...as a bike commuter in downtown Toronto, I've learned to stay focused, be prepared for the unexpected, and keep my speed down so that I don't outrun my brakes...

Still, I've been pulled out from under trucks twice, dislocated my shoulder because of a reckless Mercedes, doored several times, and have even been nicked by side view mirrors 5 times this year.

Not a day goes by without a close call with the potential to do some harm.

As the saying goes..."A cyclist makes a mistake, the cyclist dies...a driver makes a mistake, the cyclist dies"

I no longer bother with helmet, except on the trails when riding solo
jm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 01:55 PM   #5
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You read about cyclists being seriously injured or killed on the roads and it is just one of those things you have to put at the back of your mind- if you want to carry on cycling. A few months ago- We had a cyclist killed in our locality. He was at the side of the road, stopped but on the road- Waiting to cross when he was hit by a car. The Driver has just appeared in court and the case has gone to a higher Judge. He has been accused of Manslaughter by dangerous driving so cannot be heard in a local small court. Will just have to wait to see what the verdict will be.

Accidents will happen and mentaly- I can be prepared for this. When a motorist decides to cause a cyclist a problem and it goes wrong- than I am afraid I take a different attitude.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 02:14 PM   #6
jm01
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto & Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Ellsworth Id
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
You read about cyclists being seriously injured or killed on the roads and it is just one of those things you have to put at the back of your mind- if you want to carry on cycling. A few months ago- We had a cyclist killed in our locality. He was at the side of the road, stopped but on the road- Waiting to cross when he was hit by a car. The Driver has just appeared in court and the case has gone to a higher Judge. He has been accused of Manslaughter by dangerous driving so cannot be heard in a local small court. Will just have to wait to see what the verdict will be.

Accidents will happen and mentaly- I can be prepared for this. When a motorist decides to cause a cyclist a problem and it goes wrong- than I am afraid I take a different attitude.
remember this?

http://spacing.ca/wire/?p=491

http://www.citynoise.org/article/2770

she picks up at our office

and this?

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_10838.aspx

odd place, Toronto
jm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:21 PM.