Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My turn to ease up

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My turn to ease up

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 11:00 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My turn to ease up

After doing 5000 miles in each of the last two years (my first years of riding in 40 years), I have already done almost that many miles this year. I ratcheted up my training level quite a bit, adding Tuesday and/or Thursday Texas Wheel fast paced club rides which go up Texas Plume hill, the tallest and longest hill near me. I did four 200k brevets and numerous centuries. In July, I had more miles than I've ever had before in a month (826), and the first week of August, I had the most miles I've ever done in a week (225). I did a number of accomplishment pay rides, ending with the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred in August and the Tejas 500 last weekend. I wasn't as fast as I had hoped in either of those, but they'll serve as good benchmarks.

Now, it gets dark too early for the Texas Wheel rides. They're over until spring. I have surgery scheduled for November 15th, to remove a thyroid nodule. By the time I recover from that, the weather and shortness of daylight will make it tough to get in my usual mileage. As of now, I'm going to start doing more easy pace rides, quite a few with my wife, on my Nimbus and EZ Tandem. I'll still try to kick it up in a club ride here and there, but until spring (or at least late winter), it's my turn to ease up.
Old 10-04-07, 11:34 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to come up short this year, only 3,600 miles to date. Too much heavy rain recently and the summer was so hot/humid that I cut back my Sunday rides from 70 miles to 40 miles. No big deal though, still able to get out 3-5 days a week and will continue to do so the rest of the year. With winter coming my only change in routine is to switch to morning ride due to the decrease in daylight, much better than what everyone up north has to deal with.

2013 Noah RS
Old 10-04-07, 12:03 PM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have lazy all summer so it is now time to get some exercize instead of just thinking about it.
peace
Old 10-04-07, 12:23 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
After autumn- I start calming down. No more imminent rides that will take peak fitness and I can take my time on the long rides that I will do. They will be long because I take my time.

Then all of a sudden- I realise that it is winter and I don't feel like riding- Except- I realise the rides I will be doing in the summer and I had better try and stay in trim so that come Spring when the riding weather returns- I can start getting fit again so April and May are a mad hectic period when I am out on the bike- Running up stairs at work and carrying heavy weights round the building.

Wish it That time of year when I can sit back and contemplate the pain I will be putting myself through in the spring. Then I wouldn't have a 3 month slack period from Decemebr to February.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-04-07, 12:31 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It appears you've had a busy season and deserve the chance to ease up

I usually ride 5 days a week during the warmer months and drop back to 2-3 in the winter months.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-04-07, 04:54 PM
The good looking one

Bikes: gary fisher, Schwinn Woodland

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello All

This time of the year, I try to get my weight, about 8-10
pounds, under my summer riding weight. That way during
Thanksgiving-Christmas time of the year, I can eat, what I
like, and with riding MTB bikes all most every day( I'm retired).
I can come out of winter, and not have to lose a lot of winter
flab. It has worked for me, during the last 5 years. I slow down
during the winter, but try and do slow rides in the snow, on the
bike paths, roads are too dangerous.