Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My tools have arrived!

Just received my tool order from United Bicycle Supply in Ashland. UBS is a wholesaler, but I took a course at United Bicycle Institute (also in Ashland) last summer, so was entitled to an order with them. Totally cool. Pictures of a couple of my favorite new tools are below. Hex wrenches very convenient! Torque wrenches a necessity, especially since I'm building up a CF frame and torque specs with CF are very low (I'm just not into the sound of crunching carbon fiber). Coolest thing is, over the years, after everything goes body-wise and I move to the Seventy Plus (70+) forum , I can still be wrenchin' on bikes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooooo... tools
    And not just any tools but PARK Tool, at that.
    Enjoy them and use them well
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I drop my bike off for a tuneup? If I promise not to watch or to help, do I get a discount?
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Next will be the Park Tools Jersey..............or perhaps the coffee cup.

You will probably never go wrong buying a Park Tool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! A whole set of Park tools! My tools are a mish-mash from many different companies with only a few from Park. I'm envious.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Can I drop my bike off for a tuneup? If I promise not to watch or to help, do I get a discount?
    No problemo. I'm not charging anyone yet. I may have to keep this on the DL (down-low).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Park jerseys or coffee cups yet. And I didn't get a whole set of Park, but did a mix and match on my order of some tools from other manufacturers as well (the tool for my Shimano sealed cartridge BB is from France!). I also picked up other tools from my local LBS when I needed them on the spot. But it's all good!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my tools. I started 17 years ago buying what I needed to do the jobs that came up. I'm still buying more.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As my fleet increases in number, my need for new tools follows suit. I like to acquire new tools, but the money...my god the money.

By the way, nice tools, rideon 7

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently broke down and bought a Park's derailleur alignment tool because I couldn't get my Trek 520 to index with the barcons.

The tool looks really great hanging on the wall.

I wonder if I'll every use it again.

No matter, it looks great hanging on the wall.

It may be N+1 for bicycles, but its N to the power of x for the number of tools you need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of those nice Park swivel shop seats would make a nice addition.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rideon7 View Post
    Just received my tool order from United Bicycle Supply in Ashland. UBS is a wholesaler, but I took a course at United Bicycle Institute (also in Ashland) last summer, so was entitled to an order with them.
    And of course, with tools, you need a roll-away tool chest!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, something about a good tool. Or maybe that's just the old mechanic in me talking.
    But one of my big joys in life was sitting down with a shop manual, a pile of tools and my old Gitane.
    Without them, I'd still be a Marlboro junky.

So, now I have my Park cassette tool, bike stand, chainwhip, spoke tool, pedal wrench... got to think about a spoke tension meter and maybe a dishing tool. Somewhere down the line comes a BB tool. Oh it just goes on and on and on and...
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tools - boy do us guys like tools. I have a whole basement full. I started out collecting tools when I was 15 years old and have kept every one since. I have never been very organized so I have a bunch of tool boxes all loaded up. One box has just screw drivers and pliers, another has just socket wrenches. Then there is the wood working shop - if you ever want to spend a lot on tools try wood working (My hobby when I can't bike or ski)!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are not many tools for working on the bike that I do not have- but many of these have been replaced over the years with better quality ones. I also have a good number of cheap tools that I have aquired that do the job- still work but have not been replaced as I have not found a quality one to replace them.

Most usefull tool I have is a 4-5-6- allen key in one tool. You must have seen them as a triangular tool in the shops. Why is it so usefull? Instead of carrying 3 tools to the bike- I have only one to fit most of the allen headed bolts on my bike. Now if they ever change over to the Star type Torque bolts I will be lost- Too many sizes and too close together for my short sighted eyes to differentiate between.

Edit- Park do not always make the best tool for a job- Cable cutter as an example- I bought a Park tool for cutting the cables and although works completey adequately- It was not the best hand tool I have ever used. Just was not comfortable to use and did not always crimp the cable end properly. Chatted to the shop and They use the Shimano tool. It was cheaper and is a dream to use. Nothing awkward about it and even has the Cable end pliers set right so that the End will never come off.
    Last edited by stapfam; 10-06-07 at 04:17 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Most usefull tool I have is a 4-5-6- allen key in one tool. You must have seen them as a triangular tool in the shops. Why is it so usefull? Instead of carrying 3 tools to the bike- I have only one to fit most of the allen headed bolts on my bike.

Edit- Park do not always make the best tool for a job- Cable cutter as an example-
    I have the allen triangle tool. Fact is, I have two or three because I keep misplacing at least one of them. I now carry a fold-out allen key tool in my pack and keep the triangle in my shop. The fold-out is more compact and has more sizes on it.

I know what you mean about Park tools. Their cable cutter works fine for me (haven't tried others) but other companies do make tools that are just as good and sometimes better. There are other colors besides blue. My road bike, for example, is red, because the color red goes faster!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    Yep, something about a good tool. Or maybe that's just the old mechanic in me talking. But one of my big joys in life was sitting down with a shop manual, a pile of tools and my old Gitane.
    Without them, I'd still be a Marlboro junky.

So, now I have my Park cassette tool, bike stand, chainwhip, spoke tool, pedal wrench... got to think about a spoke tension meter and maybe a dishing tool. Somewhere down the line comes a BB tool. Oh it just goes on and on and on and...
    The Gitane is the bike, right, not the French cigarette? Yeah, there's something about tools (and using them). My wife tried to move my box of new bike tools out of the dining room the other day to "straighten up" and I almost had an aneurysm. I just enjoyed having them there to look at for a while before they got put away. (They got put away.)

Next on my tool list would be a truing stand, but it will be a while before I can get one. A new wheelset and handlebar for the build-up I'm doing come first. Since a truing stand is a precision instrument, it's not something I will be buying off of ebay.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rideon7 View Post
    Next on my tool list would be a truing stand, but it will be a while before I can get one. A new wheelset and handlebar for the build-up I'm doing come first. Since a truing stand is a precision instrument, it's not something I will be buying off of ebay.
    I only have a cheap trueing stand and you are right- this is one tool that has to be right. Only reason I got my Rubbish one is that it was In a Garage sale for 1 and I did not have one. I should have kept the 1.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan