User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yahoo! These 50+ legs are gonna be pretty happy

I found my 12-30 cassette waiting for me on my front porch, courtesy of UPS
    Delivered right on time.
    Probably won't have time to get it installed this weekend but soon... soon...
    Sure hope I don't need a new chain; I forgot to order one. Maybe with some RD adjustments, I'll be good.

I just HAVE to think that going from a 26T to a 30T as my large cog is gonna make a pretty substantial difference. I'm hoping it will help me extend my distance traveled between stops on some of our longer climbs here abouts.

PS) Want to give major shout out for Harris Cyclery.
    I'd sure like to find a local shop that offers the quality service these guys do.
    'Course, that's based on just one order... it might be a fluke. But I don't think so.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Klein Quantum, Summit Comp Pro TR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New chain is a distinct possibility, although if you forego using the 30T with the big ring it'll probably be OK. 30T might also be a problem with some short cage derailleurs.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you still need lower gears than that, you can go smaller than 30 on the front.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30/30 gearing should work a dream up all but the steepest hills. The only problems I can see are the Chain and the rear derailler. First of all the chain may not be long enough to enable big ring front and rear to be engaged. Not a problem as you should not be in that combination and If you decide not to go into the big ring-for the first ride- Then it will not be a problem. That will enable you to get a ride in- just in case you do need a longer chain and don't get one. The rear derailler that you have fitted could be a Short reach derailler. In theory- It will not work with a 30t rear sprocket. The top derailler cog will be rubbing on the teeth of the 30t. This could be Dangerous in that it could damage the sprocket and cog so check it out before you ride. It might be OK though- Especially if the chain is just a little too short as it will pull the Cog away from the sprocket- or if you can adjust the Derailler away from the Cassette with the large screw at the rear of the D. to adjust the chain tension.

So have a good ride- and we want pics of the LeMond going up the 20% hill with a 50+ jersey being the motive power. Got to get that first pic of the jersey being used instead of posed.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    If you still need lower gears than that, you can go smaller than 30 on the front.
    If I need lower gears than that, I need to work harder at getting into shape
    Seriously, swapping out a 26 for a 30 is OK, given how specifically it will get used, but changing the front 30 to something lower would really mess up ratios that I use a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by xlrogue
    New chain is a distinct possibility, although if you forego using the 30T with the big ring it'll probably be OK. 30T might also be a problem with some short cage derailleurs
    Yeah, it's not very often that I see myself cross-chaining like that. If I do, it's usually by accident.
    Per Sheldon Brown, given Shomano's rather conservative capacity specs, the 30T should be perfectly compatable with a 105 SS RD. I have no doubt some adjustment will be needed though.

Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    30/30 gearing should work a dream up all but the steepest hills ... It might be OK though- Especially if the chain is just a little too short as it will pull the Cog away from the sprocket- or if you can adjust the Derailler away from the Cassette with the large screw at the rear of the D. to adjust the chain tension
    That's sure what I'm hoping for. I want this combination to be an asthma killer. Even if I still need to stop -my expectation- the stops will be fewer, shorter and farther apart. Maybe I'll be surprised. Given my 600+ feet of 11% climbing to get home, I'll get a pretty good idea pretty quickly about how this is gonna work out. I'll have to find that screw. I'm assuming the 105 has that adjustment. In any event, for the first time out, I won't go farther than I want to walk back home. I probably won't even leave the top of the hill at first.

Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    So have a good ride- and we want pics of the LeMond going up the 20% hill with a 50+ jersey being the motive power. Got to get that first pic of the jersey being used instead of posed
    20%? Well, let's start out with more lowered expectations, eh?
    I'd love to get an action shot but, as I ride alone, who would take it for me?
    Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 10-05-07 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is done! I went out today and rolled up a quick 20 which put me at 1000 miles since April 20.
    1000 miles in just under 6 months. Unthinkable just a year ago. I can't tell you how thrilled I am about that.

How thrilled... I was so excited that I came home and swapped out my 12-26 cassette for the 12-30 I just got from Harris Cyclery Only took three tries First, I forgot a spacer, then I put the spacer in the wrong place, then I got it right. At one point I noticed that I forgot to swap out the 14T it came with for the 13T on my SRAM cluster. Got that, too. Adjusted it all up. It shifts up. It shifts down. Wayyyyyyy down. I took it out front and -living on top of a hill- just rolled it down about halfway, turned around and came back up. Oh, this is nice. Even the 27T as the penultimate low gear is noticeably easier than the 26T it used to have on the bottom. And when I kick it down to the 30T? Ho! Ho! Ho! I probably will need to get a new chain, this one looks just a tad tight but the jockey wheels clear so I'm good there, though it took a LOT of turns of the B screw. And I love my Park Tools chain whip and cassette tool. Yeah, baby, when do I go back out again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a good move, getting the 30 tooth low gear, I should get one. Last Sunday I struggled on a hilly metric century with my 30f/25r low gear.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news that the gear change worked. Last spring I walked the remainder of a hill with my 50/34 compact double and a 11-23 cassett. Got home that afternoon and ordered a 12-27. The Park Tool chain whip is very useful. Worth its price on that one cassett change. Somewhere between luck, training and that cassett change I have not had to walk a hill since. As you noticed, even one tooth makes a difference. My new gears go from 24 to 27. The 24 was better than the 23 I had previously, and the 27 has saved me many times.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.