Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rich people ride 2.5 times more...

http://bikecommutetips.blogspot.com/...t-be-rich.html

The richer people become the further they cycle, according to official figures overturning conventional wisdom that the bicycle is largely a poor manís mode of transport..... London Times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich folks have more time to ride. Poorer folks are busy working
    more than one job just to break even. Too pooped to peddle. IMO

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the having more time thing. Time is the biggest luxury of them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have much money, but I've got all the bases covered, so for me, the most important thing is time.
    People think I'm wasting time by not making more money...but they're wrong. I'm enjoying being free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can afford nicer bikes which are easier to ride longer distances. And they're not tired from commuting

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rember a story and th eAuthor Steinbeck. Seems he had hired a house painter whom ran shot of paint. Steinbeck gave him some money and told him to buy some more paint. The painter said he would get it tomorrow. Steinbeck asked Why not today? painter replied 'Mr Steinbeck - you need to be awful rich to go into town dressed (as bad & filthy) as i am" Words really struk me but living here in cebu PI, I understand. I've been welcomed here as a cyclist, but in the local bike forums here (www.cebucycling.com - but you need to registar and a password to access) occasional I realize I'm an outsider for CEO's and Executive business men often get sterotyped as owning the 'Newest - carbon- most expensive bike purchases, favoried by LBS attention, etc.. Bottom Line I have to realize I'm a foreigner i.e.different.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich by who's standards? The article says the top 20% are rich. No less than Al Sharpton says if you make $200,000 a year you are middle class! I think the whole premis is a crock. If you like to ride no matter your income or wealth you will find the time and a way to do it.

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich is rich, tired is tired and no time is no time. Tautology is tautology.

-soma5

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
    Rich is rich, tired is tired and no time is no time. Tautology is tautology.

-soma5
    You sure are redundant thinking.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bull sh....
    I'm poor and I ride more then any richman
    They're to at it making money to keep up
    But then maybe I'm not poor as I may have little money but I do have freedom

My Bikes
    Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a poor man with 5 bikes to choose from and plenty of time to ride. In my mind that makes me rich.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    They can afford nicer bikes which are easier to ride longer distances. And they're not tired from commuting
    Not certain what commuting or not has to do with this issue. I know some big earners who commute from Philly to NYC and back everyday. They don't ride much, and they don't have much spare time.

Caruso

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pardon me if I have doubts about the validity of survey's like this. IMHO modern surveys as used in the popular press without the actual data have no relationship to scientific fact. For that matter I'm not so sure about "conventional wisdom" either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main reason given in the OP's link was

"The London Cycling Campaign said that people on higher incomes tended to be better educated about the health benefits of cycling and more concerned with maintaining a healthy lifestyle."

I'm not sure that this is the only reason that wealthier people may ride more, but it seems to be consistent with other studies that indicate wealthy people tend to smoke less than poor people, too.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I don't have much money, but I've got all the bases covered, so for me, the most important thing is time.
    People think I'm wasting time by not making more money...but they're wrong. I'm enjoying being free.
    Louis, we have so much in common.
    George

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my neck of the woods the consistent cyclists are the Hispanics. They don't look wealthy to me, but I know that when it come to net worth (monetarily) looks can be deceptive.

I was parking in the Walmart one day and an Hispanic rode up on his bike and set it up against some bushes before he went inside. No locks, nothing. That is my idea of freedom. I think the bike was a Mongoose or a Magma.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the survey was done in England. They might be different there. Or the survey could have just been poorly executed. It is a lot easier to get the data on rich people than poor people so rich people are often over represented. Remember how Hoover beat FDR in the 1932 by a decisive margin?

In the US, I have seen different bicycling situations. In Michigan, serious cyclists tended to be blue collar workers of moderate means and you did not see very many bikes better than entry level racers. In Florida, most serious cyclists are affluent and I rarely see anything as poor as an entry level racer. Virtually everything is dura ace.

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    You sure are redundant thinking.
    Hey, redundant is redundant.

-soma5
    -soma5

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any understanding wife is the definition of riches. I commute so I can ride.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Pardon me if I have doubts about the validity of survey's like this. IMHO modern surveys as used in the popular press without the actual data have no relationship to scientific fact. For that matter I'm not so sure about "conventional wisdom" either.
    Yes, anyone who has done any scientific study knows that surveys that show up in the media may be a hodge podge of layers of surveys. Even science is empirical by nature of its inquiry. So scientific conclusions are only as good as its premises.

Not scientifically, but personally, I think the baby boomers who have not ridden until their kids are now in their teens, are beginning to get back in shape and do aerobics without all that pounding. They're either riding on the road or spinning in a class. But they're there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my neighborhood, the "every day" riders consist of the very poor, such as restaurant workers, and the very rich...the young investment bankers on their Madones.

The investment bankers are always worried someone might think they HAVE to ride a bike. To provent that impression, they carry their bike on their BMW from their house, to where all his buddies are waiting with their BMW's and bikes. The rich guys ride in packs, wearing "Lance Alike" uniforms, the poor guys ride alone, wearing jeans and tee-shirts.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtbr View Post
    I'm a poor man with 5 bikes to choose from and plenty of time to ride. In my mind that makes me rich.
    Same here. Five bikes, low income, and ride all the time. Now, who's rich?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about as poor as you can be and still function. I spent what I needed to get the bike I wanted, have just the one bike, and ride 150-200 miles a week. I guess dedication and enthusiasm -- and an understanding wife -- are the cornerstones of my cycling.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what you people are talking about.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Biker looking for a ride!
    My Bikes
    Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be way way rich....

Cool....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast