Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-06-07, 03:24 PM   #1
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Back to the gym

So I went to the Y for the first time in several months, because it's getting dark too early to ride long enough outdoors. I spent 45 minutes on the trainer, and death, I thought, was imminent. The trainer is deadly boring, as usual, but I figured that since three hours on the bike outdoors is only moderately challenging, I could do 45 minutes at a middling difficulty (9 of 20) with no trouble on the stationary bike. Man, was I wrong.

Maybe it's because you get no cooling indoors. I was drenched when I finished, and the pathetic little fan on the bike is useless. Maybe it's becuase I've got no hills outdoors. What do you think? Is it really that much harder on a trainer?
Kurt Erlenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 03:31 PM   #2
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerlenbach@cfl. View Post
So I went to the Y for the first time in several months, because it's getting dark too early to ride long enough outdoors. I spent 45 minutes on the trainer, and death, I thought, was imminent. The trainer is deadly boring, as usual, but I figured that since three hours on the bike outdoors is only moderately challenging, I could do 45 minutes at a middling difficulty (9 of 20) with no trouble on the stationary bike. Man, was I wrong.

Maybe it's because you get no cooling indoors. I was drenched when I finished, and the pathetic little fan on the bike is useless. Maybe it's becuase I've got no hills outdoors. What do you think? Is it really that much harder on a trainer?
You are using some different muscles in different ways! Your body will adjust soon.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 03:38 PM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can ride a bike for a good few hours without a break but When I go to the gym- I do varied exercise. In a 60 minute slot- I do 10 minutes each on the recumbent to get warm then the treadmill- the normal bike- Stepping machine- Rowing machine- The cross trainer and That is it. 10 minutes each machine and run between machines to just get the breather. Each machine- Other than the recumbent- is taken at a high level- of hills and severity-(Rower is awkward as if I have hills on that- I would be in trouble) I also do not go in at High level on my first visit. It takes about 10 visits to get to the max that I can push, and when I get to that- I know I am fit.

Best investment though for me has been a good set of lights for the bike. Have them set up on the old bike and can get out twice a week for 20 mile rides in the dark. Has saved me a fortune on Gym fees.

I also find that a variety of exercises will get me fitter quicker than staying on one machine only. And it is not as boring.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 06:07 PM   #4
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
I have one of my bikes set up on a trainer for this time of year. What I find is that you do sweat a lot. I do use a fan at times to give myself a breeze. I also find an hour on the trainer seems harder than on the road. My theory is that you get no breaks on the trainer, no coasting.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 07:57 PM   #5
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerlenbach@cfl. View Post

Maybe it's because you get no cooling indoors. I was drenched when I finished, and the pathetic little fan on the bike is useless. Maybe it's because I've got no hills outdoors. What do you think? Is it really that much harder on a trainer?
I did study this issue and confirmed it with HRM readings. A big fan makes a difference of 5-10%. A pace of 16.5 MPH average on a Cycle-Ops FL2 is about the same HR as 16.5 MPH against a very light wind on an undulating almost flat unpaved trail.
I get much lower HR on Recumbent Trainer (Schwinn at same speed)
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote