Apprentice Peddler
    My Bikes
    Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need a bike upgrade

I have been riding my Giant Nutra for years and it has served me well. With all the new technology etc. I was thinking about upgrading to a better bike. I think my Nutra was classified as a cross or hybrid bike and it suits my type of riding well. I ride primarily on paved paths, roads or crushed limestone trails which are basically smooth. The length of the rides are usually under 30 miles.

I haven't a clue what to get. I was hoping to go in the sub $700 range. I am a taller rider at 6'3" and weigh in at a hefty 245#. Can any of you helpful people suggest a bike or bikes I should consider that are generally accepted as being good? I would then like to find a dealer and do some test riding. I never had a bike with drop handlebars and I am not sure that is for me. I think I prefer a more upright position.

Any suggestions?

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drop bars don't mean you spend your entire time in the drops. I have a MTB and a road bike. WIth my hands on the top of the bar of the road bike I am in a similiar position as the MTB. On a road bike you have the option of several positions, the bike is more efficient which makes longer distances easier.
    Look at a Trek 1000 as a start, there are many bikes in that price range. Good luck
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I think my Nutra was classified as a cross or hybrid bike and it suits my type of riding well."

Maybe put a few $ in that bike instead?
    Better wheels/tires
    Upgrade drive train for a better range of gears/shifters
    Better seat

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted-
    Computer was puking on me
    Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 10-07-07 at 12:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hy_tek View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Get ye to a good bike shop with enough bike selection to give you a decent cross-section of bike types. At 245 lbs you want sturdy wheels, 32 or 36 spokes. 700 wheels with 28mm tires would give decent comfort and lower rolling resistance than your Giant. Cyclocross bikes offer many advantages and are suited to road and moderate off-road conditions, not sure of the selection tho in your $700 range. With the variety of stems available, you can achieve a somewhat upright position on a road bike.

The right bike shop can show you all this stuff. Finding the right shop can be as hard as finding the right bike. Don't get pushed into anything that you're not 100% in agreement with. Good Luck. Oh yeah, one last fact - Campy rules. HeHeHe.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

Apprentice Peddler
    My Bikes
    Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really need to get out and try some different bikes. Years ago it seemed the selections were not as abundant. Now the bikes have so many variations of styles it makes it harder to decide. The biggest problem I have found is the dealers seem to all push their own brand of bike or whatever they have on hand. I wouldn't think this would be a good thing for the consumer. It's hard to test ride a variety of bikes since local dealers only carry a couple brands of good bikes usually in stock. Since I am only familiar with my present bike I really don't know what to look for in a cycle.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hy_tek View Post
    I really need to get out and try some different bikes. Years ago it seemed the selections were not as abundant. Now the bikes have so many variations of styles it makes it harder to decide. The biggest problem I have found is the dealers seem to all push their own brand of bike or whatever they have on hand. I wouldn't think this would be a good thing for the consumer. It's hard to test ride a variety of bikes since local dealers only carry a couple brands of good bikes usually in stock. Since I am only familiar with my present bike I really don't know what to look for in a cycle.
    Easy enough- get out to half a dozen or so different shops.

Even just sitting on bikes in a shop will give you and idea of what you may like- but the final check is a test ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
    "I think my Nutra was classified as a cross or hybrid bike and it suits my type of riding well."

Maybe put a few $ in that bike instead?
    Better wheels/tires
    Upgrade drive train for a better range of gears/shifters
    Better seat
    If the bike serves you well, I concur that a wheelset upgrade, or even just a tire upgrade, can make a huge difference. Before shopping for a replacement bike, focus on the specific shortcomings of the machine you already have. To keep things in perspective, estimate what your desired list of upgrades would cost before heading for the new bike showroom.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there some specific shortcomings of the Nutra that you are looking to improve/address with a new bike?

There are lighter, higher performance upright riding position hybrids around, such as the Trek FX series, Giant FCR bikes, and Raleigh Cadent.

If you like the ride of your Nutra, then a little tweaking may be all you need. But I would think long and hard before dropping hundreds of dollars on upgrades, as that bike usually sells for around $75-$100 used. It is a decent quality hybrid / city bike. I know they described it as cross bike, but it is very different than today's cross bikes.

Sounds like you are using it in exactly the way it was intended to be used.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Apprentice Peddler
    My Bikes
    Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Are there some specific shortcomings of the Nutra that you are looking to improve/address with a new bike?

There are lighter, higher performance upright riding position hybrids around, such as the Trek FX series, Giant FCR bikes, and Raleigh Cadent.

If you like the ride of your Nutra, then a little tweaking may be all you need. But I would think long and hard before dropping hundreds of dollars on upgrades, as that bike usually sells for around $75-$100 used. It is a decent quality hybrid / city bike. I know they described it as cross bike, but it is very different than today's cross bikes.

Sounds like you are using it in exactly the way it was intended to be used.
    The are only a couple things I might put on my wish list

Something that was perhaps a little smoother with less tire resistance would be nice. I was told going to a 700x32c tire would help that as I am now using the original 38c tires. As I am a rather tall rider something with perhaps a more upright position would be nice.I really don't care if it has some high tech shock absorbing suspension. But then again never having had a suspension perhaps I should be open minded.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New tires don't cost too much. You could get a pair of Panaracer Pasela TG 700x32 from Nashbar for $40. I like 32mm as a general purpose tire. The Pasela TG's are resistant to punctures too.

What kind of stem & handlebar do you have on the Nutra? If you have any additional play in your cable length, you can set the bar up a little higher for just a few bucks. I changed out my 1.5" riser bar on my Trek hybrid for a 3" riser bar, cost me $15. If you have something like a threadless stem with a 15 degree rise, then you can pick up a 30 or 40 degree, or adjustable stem for $15-$20.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post