User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CV Fine tuning a 65 year old body.

I am busy fine tuning my CV fitness and knowledge of the effects of a change in cadence.
    This test uses warm up and next going at pace with recording the highest HR. The Trainer is a CycleOps FL2, Cateye Astrale 8, Polar HRM, Madone Road Bike, 700 x 23 tires. Big fan from behind. I do the test at the same time after breakfast (not every day).

Here are results so far:
    Resting HR <60
    15.0 MPH @83 RPM (39/17) =<098 HR
    15.5 MPH @86 RPM (39/17) =<102 HR
    16.0 MPH @89 RPM (39/17) =<115 HR
    16.5 MPH @91 RPM (39/17) =<115 HR * (This is my normal training pace = 100 miles in 6 hrs)
    17.0 MPH @94 RPM (39/17) =<121 HR
    17.5 MPH @97 RPM (39/17) =<124 HR * (Note: It was F15 cooler)

18.0 MPH @94 RPM (39/16) =<135 HR * (Changed gear to 39/17) It is getting harder to do on the trainer.
    18.0 MPH @93 RPM (52/21) =<130 HR * (I did a 30 minute warm-up at 16 MPH @ <HR115) Feels better.
    Last edited by will dehne; 10-14-07 at 11:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. Too analytical for me.
    But good luck with the data.
    What is the desired result?
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, interesting. I would be willing to give it a go. However, not all trainers have equal resistance. My Tacx, for example, has the ability to set the resistance from a value of minus four to plus four. The manual specifically states that a value of zero is not intended to reflect what happens on the road. So how would I know what resistance value to set my Tacx to? Does your trainer also show watts? That would give me a starting point.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    Sorry. Too analytical for me.
    But good luck with the data.
    What is the desired result?
    The desired result is doing a fast across America South SAG supported tour with a much younger group of riders. I did this in 2006 and found it hard. I want to be prepared a little better. I noticed that my average speed of 16.5 MPH produces a lower HR now than two years ago. I hope, but do not know, that this is the result of much training.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I would be willing to give it a go. However, not all trainers have equal resistance. My Tacx, for example, has the ability to set the resistance from a value of minus four to plus four. The manual specifically states that a value of zero is not intended to reflect what happens on the road. So how would I know what resistance value to set my Tacx to? Does your trainer also show watts? That would give me a starting point.
    You are correct. Unfortunately I have a CycleOps FL2 trainer. There is no adjustment other than the gears you choose and cadence. There is some variation due to the pressure of tire to contact roller.
    I wish this thing had a reliable watts meter but it has not. I do know that it produces a HR stress very close to pedaling the same bike on level ground against a light wind or up a 2-3% incline without wind. I did measure that.
    My purpose is to measure self improvement and have a platform to compare. I wish I would have done this effort a few years ago so I can see the results of training. I did record my HR at 16.5 two years ago. Same equipment. It was HR 130-140 over one hour of testing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you look at HRR (heart rate recovery)? That's a great indicator of fitness and can be done easily on a treadmill or a bike. My current favorite quick indicator is how low my HR gets during a ride when I come to a stop. I'm now dropping below 100 bpm even during a momentary stop. My goal is to drop below 100 while sheltered by other riders during rides. Everyone is different, but to give you an indication of my level of fitness, yesterday four of us (two in our 50's, one 63) did a set 50 mile course for time. I rode the 50 miles in 2:49.40, and averaged 18.0 mph with minimal drafting. The tough part was the 4900 ft. of climbing we did. On a flat course, the four of us would easily (well, handily ) be able to do a sub-5 hr. century.

Regarding your lower, current, HR, part of it could just be normal aging. As I get older, my max HR during a ride is usually 155. Huge, uphill efforts will get me to 163 - that's about it. I was riding with a young (20's) guy from Austria this summer who had great acceleration uphill. He told me that his max HR was something like 220 bpm - yikes!

Good luck with training and your ride!
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the tail wind fromt he big fan giving you a boost
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
    The desired result is doing a fast across America South SAG supported tour with a much younger group of riders. I did this in 2006 and found it hard. I want to be prepared a little better. I noticed that my average speed of 16.5 MPH produces a lower HR now than two years ago. I hope, but do not know, that this is the result of much training.
    Like many, I followed your adventure with great expectation and hope. Now I can understand the analytical approach. I won't comment further as my longest is SF to Santa Barbara; only to say that if your HR is lower @ 16.5 now, what could make that happen except improved cardiovascular and that comes from riding. Or so I'll wager.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like many, I followed your adventure with great expectation and hope. Now I can understand the analytical approach. I won't comment further as my longest is SF to Santa Barbara; only to say that if your HR is lower @ 16.5 now, what could make that happen except improved cardiovascular and that comes from riding. Or so I'll wager.
    Thank you for your comments. I have lost over twenty pounds due to lots of training and careful eating. I am also retired for over a month and that allows me to bike 50 miles/day. I am hoping all this effort will have some measurable result. The above schedule is supposed to show that. I biked two centuries this weekend starting past Sunday. I just got back.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Is the tail wind fromt he big fan giving you a boost
    Let me tell you that the fan is critical. I started this exercise without that fan and my HR went up to the point of concern. The reason for the fan from behind is that it cools better and does not affect my eyes which was an issue from the front.
    I am trying to give tips for others who may have similar desires.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    Do you look at HRR (heart rate recovery)? That's a great indicator of fitness and can be done easily on a treadmill or a bike. My current favorite quick indicator is how low my HR gets during a ride when I come to a stop. I'm now dropping below 100 bpm even during a momentary stop. My goal is to drop below 100 while sheltered by other riders during rides. Everyone is different, but to give you an indication of my level of fitness, yesterday four of us (two in our 50's, one 63) did a set 50 mile course for time. I rode the 50 miles in 2:49.40, and averaged 18.0 mph with minimal drafting. The tough part was the 4900 ft. of climbing we did. On a flat course, the four of us would easily (well, handily ) be able to do a sub-5 hr. century.

Regarding your lower, current, HR, part of it could just be normal aging. As I get older, my max HR during a ride is usually 155. Huge, uphill efforts will get me to 163 - that's about it. I was riding with a young (20's) guy from Austria this summer who had great acceleration uphill. He told me that his max HR was something like 220 bpm - yikes!

Good luck with training and your ride!
    You are giving me some useful info. Thanks.
    Yes, my HR drops fast if I stop. My Sports Doctor is impressed for this 65 year old guy. My maximum HR with a huge effort was 160 (or close to it). I intend to test that again with this thread and the test data above. I will update that test data as I find time.
    I understand and have participated with drafting. Rumor has it that it may save 25% energy.
    I am very good at doing 50 miles since that is my standard training distance. It is the 150 miles/day I find a challenge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will,
    Are you familiar with RoadBikeRider.com? - Ed & Fred are long time riders and writers. They focus a lot on endurance riding for older guys, both are over 55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're riding mostly alone now, I encourage you to ride with others and get used to drafting. In an event like this, drafting is a huge benefit. Also, if you have any muscle pains now, get into the gym and work on muscle support systems - neck, back, etc. Those kind of miles will quickly find any chinks in your armour. Best of luck!
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will,
    Are you familiar with RoadBikeRider.com? - Ed & Fred are long time riders and writers. They focus a lot on endurance riding for older guys, both are over 55.
    No I am not familiar with them but I am now and will take a look.
    I am painfully aware that I am not a racer. Take a look at jppe! He posted a 25 MPH average TT with HR and all. I have never done anything like a TT over 22 but I think I will try on this thread on the trainer.
    I have been updating the original post above and I am happy with the results so far. My HR does not get out of control. The fan is very important and so is temperature.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    If you're riding mostly alone now, I encourage you to ride with others and get used to drafting. In an event like this, drafting is a huge benefit. Also, if you have any muscle pains now, get into the gym and work on muscle support systems - neck, back, etc. Those kind of miles will quickly find any chinks in your armour. Best of luck!
    This town and area are the most bike adverse area you can imagine. It will take a big effort in time to find and organize performance oriented bikers. We do have plenty who go at 10-12 MPH. Lots of bikers who go 7-15 miles and call it a day. Nobody around here heard of a Century.

You are right with the muscle pain. Going 150 miles with your head up does cause pain. We did rigorous stretching exercise while biking. Your idea with the Gym is good and I will do it as soon as the weather keeps me from biking outside.
    It is sooo... nice out there right now.

BTW, I updated the original post above. So far so good. My HR is behaving.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just want to say that I updated the original post to keep it simple.