Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shhhh... Don't let DG read this.

Came across this on trying to find info on an old kayak I owned. The link is broken or old:

just read an article on a Maine Kayak company's site that claims different colors have different weights and affect performance. Anybody ever heard such a thing?

The gist of the article is that certain colors "weigh" more or less, and can impart significant handling characteristics. For instance, the article claims white is the lightest color and white kayaks float high and speed over the water. The same kayak with a black hull and white deck would be "balanced" and inherently more stable, as though the black hull acted as ballast. Yellow kayaks are supposedly the heaviest and most sluggish...Then I thought about those big black VCP hatch covers. Heated flotation air makes sense, I remember the big black plastic bag we filled, tied a knot in and tethered outside our 7th grade science class window. By the end of the class, the sun had heated the air and the bag was floating a few inches off the field.

But overall color? Thoughts?

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some pigments probably weigh more (density) than others, but when you consider the thickness of a coat of paint......

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the response... it's interesting:

IIt is tongue-in-cheek, but like I posted the last time this came up, it does make a difference on a larger vessel such as an aircraft. That's part of why FedEx now paints their aircraft mostly white and less purple. It's not the only reason, but it was a factor in the color decision. I was searching for the actual weight difference. It was a lot... hundreds of pounds, or was it thousands? I can't remember the actual ammount. I do know that when you paint an aircraft of that size, you have to recalculate the weight and balance figures.

Add that to your storehouse of useless knowledge!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See? What have I been trying to tell you???
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only one thing for it- White shoes- bibs- jersey and socks.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At the end of WWII, American fighter aircraft had their paint removed in an effort to extract the very most performance possible.

That would lead one to believe that the appropriate colors for bicycles are aluminium, carbon and rust.

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care how light weight white is I get dirty just thinking and I've never ridden more then 20 miles without a coating of grit and dirt NO white gear NO NO NO NO NO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, quit bogarting that joint, for cryin out loud. bk

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The total painted surface area of a bike is extremely small so the weight effect is minimal and we all know the major factor in a bike is the engine. Chromotherapy used by the ancient Chinese and Egyptians states the following color effects:
    Red was used to stimulate the body and mind and to increase circulation.

Yellow was thought to stimulate the nerves and purify the body.

Orange was used to heal the lungs and to increase energy levels.

Blue was believed to soothe illnesses and treat pain.

Indigo shades were thought to alleviate skin problems.

White, brown and black are considered dull, non-stiimulating colors.

This link also provides some supporting evidence of these effects: http://www.artistenomade.com/gb/couleur_therapie2.htm

In general experts agree that if you want to move people along faster in buildings and businesses, red is the color to paint the walls http://psychology.hypnoticworld.com/...tion/color.php

Although DG's bike may be ever so slightly lighter, the effect it is having on his mind is tragic. We should find some young kid to spray paint it red in the middle of the night just for DG's own good. We must protect him from this bike!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By way of proof, look at the fact that most track sprinters (running) are Caucasian....very few blacks seem to run track. Given the research above, it's understandable.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Only one thing for it- White shoes- bibs- jersey and socks.
    Please, no white shorts. The picture of the red shorts is bad enough.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    Here's the response... it's interesting:

IIt is tongue-in-cheek, but like I posted the last time this came up, it does make a difference on a larger vessel such as an aircraft. That's part of why FedEx now paints their aircraft mostly white and less purple. It's not the only reason, but it was a factor in the color decision. I was searching for the actual weight difference. It was a lot... hundreds of pounds, or was it thousands? I can't remember the actual ammount. I do know that when you paint an aircraft of that size, you have to recalculate the weight and balance figures.

Add that to your storehouse of useless knowledge!
    When you paint an aircraft - period - you have to re-weigh it to establish datum for weight and balance. Makes no difference what color.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
    By way of proof, look at the fact that most track sprinters (running) are Caucasian....very few blacks seem to run track. Given the research above, it's understandable.
    You're kidding, right? I assume by the lack of a "smiley" that you are just ignorant. Some of the best sprinters in the world are non-Caucasian.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orange is the true color of the fast bicycle. Just ask Eddy.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Orange is the true color of the fast bicycle. Just ask Eddy.

Not True!!!

Eddy on a white bike...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
    Yes, he's being facetious. Now, you know, CrossChain, that I'm not presenting theses things I found as "research", right? They're for entertainment purposes only, and I'd like to see what people have to say about them!