User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 Years, 68th Birthday

10 Years and 68th Birthday

In November, I will be 68, and also it will be near my 10th anniversary of "serious" bicycling.

Here is a post I wrote on Rec.bicycles.misc on March 17, 1999 (the earliest appropriate post I could find) in response to someone asking about a new bike.

"Dorothy, I started about 1.3 yrs ago.

Don't be too impressed by all those who state you must buy a very expensive
    bike to see if you like the sport.

I started with a Specialized Hard Rock, their best model, at about $285.00.
    With a few accessories and clothing got to about $400.00 Added slick tires and
    tubes with slime.

In any event, have put 3,400 miles on that little bike, a per mile cost of
    about 11 cents, and still going. Replaced a upgraded a couple of things this
    year at $175.00.

Rode a 360 mile ride over the Rockies, also.

Was I slower than the Road Bikes? - YES!!

Did I have a ball? - YES.

Have I bought a new Road Bike this year? - YES

Do I still ride the Specialized and have a ball on it? - YES

The net result was that for a minimum expenditure I was able to find out if I
    enjoyed biking in today's world before committing major funds to an expensive
    road bike.

Heck, before I bought the Specialized, I tooled around the neighborhood and
    trails on a $15.00 ten speed I bought at a garage sale. I also had a lot of
    fun on that bike.

It is the biking that is fun. The better bike only makes it MORE enjoyable. "

Here is a picture of me 10 years ago at age 58, "Riding the Rockies" in June, 1998, on that mtn bike. It was taken on the "Peak to Peak" highway between Ward and Estes Park.

It appears that things haven't changed much in my attitude during 10 years!

I hope the next 10 years are as much fun!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-07-07 at 07:45 AM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here to ya DFox, I hope I can get 10 more years out of this body. I'm glad, I started though.
    George

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Here to ya DFox, I hope I can get 10 more years out of this body. I'm glad, I started though.
    Ditto - I wonder what I will look like at 78?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might sound corny and a lot of us 50something guys don't like to admit it, but we really do look up to guys like you, and I hope I am still riding 14 years from now. I want to be able to continue to enjoy life as you seem to do, especially after seeing too many people go the other way.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy 68th. I started last year at 58. I hope to follow in your footsteps.

Don

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy 68th birthday, Denver.

Congratulations on your cycling progress over the past ten years, and thanks for all you've done for the 50+ community.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy B'day. On the discussion forum I read connected to the AIDS/LIfeCycle, there was a post this morning that "fat" or "overweight" riders who make the SF to LA trip are called "inspirational". I think "old" and "elder" riders should be referred to as "inspirational" as well.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't look 58 in that pic - bet you haven't changed too much at 68 cause your still using this pic as your avatar. My guess is if this pic were taken today the smile would be a little bigger!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2 canondale road bikes, one modified for touring, one virgin. Co-Motion Nor'wester on order now (2/5/06)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty amazing, Denvr, I started 10 years ago (at age 60) on exactly the same bike at almost exactly the same cost. Must be something about those old hardrocks that hooks one on cycling.
    Sadly, I don't have the bike any more, no room in the storage area, but my son does, and he still rides it. Too bad Specialized decided to turn the hardrock into a "real" mountain bike instead of one that people actually ride.
    Life is simple- Eat, Sleep, Ride

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See you are still using the same body as you did 10 years ago so hopefully it will still do a few more years like the Hard rock.

I, and the rest of my family, feel quite proud of myself to still be riding at 60 so You have set a goal for quite a few of us. So happy birthday and heres to the next 10.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Ditto - I wonder what I will look like at 78?
    Happy 68th DnvrFox. If you're anything like the gentleman I met the other day, you'll be collecting bikes and riding as much if not more than you are now.

But I am a little confused. If that picture was 1998 and this is 2007... either we have a typo or only 9 years have elapsed. So are you maybe only 67?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    Happy 68th DnvrFox. If you're anything like the gentleman I met the other day, you'll be collecting bikes and riding as much if not more than you are now.

But I am a little confused. If that picture was 1998 and this is 2007... either we have a typo or only 9 years have elapsed. So are you maybe only 67?
    Picture was 1998, several months AFTER I started bicycling (in late 1997). Nope, I didn't buy the bike and go on the Ride the Rockies the next day. Birthday is next month.

You obviously are NOT a certified corporate manager. They know about these things.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-07-07 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXBIKR View Post
    Must be something about those old hardrocks that hooks one on cycling.
    Sadly, I don't have the bike any more, no room in the storage area, but my son does, and he still rides it. Too bad Specialized decided to turn the hardrock into a "real" mountain bike instead of one that people actually ride.
    Yes, - you know - yesterday, my wife and I went bicycling on some soft surface trails, and we both have Spec HR's (old versions) which we rode. I left them in the car, and then today at church my wife wanted to stay for a ladies' luncheon, so I unloaded the Spec HR and rode it home - dress pants, dress shoes and all. And I was cruising along at 20 mph. I really love that bike.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-07-07 at 02:30 PM.

tcs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

Alas, I've never had a "road to Damascus" cycling experience. Other cyclists ask me when I started cycling seriously, and I tell them my dad took the training wheels off in spring, 1962. They ask, no, when did I start cycling as an adult? I answer 1975 when I turned 18 and became an adult. Then they ask, no, when did you come back to cycling? The answer: right after breakfast, the morning after my dad took the training wheels off!

TCS
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, Dnvr.....68 couldn't happen to a more deserving, worthy guy. Fully expect you and the HardRock to be tooling along (when not posting) for the next 10 years.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs View Post
    Congratulations!

Alas, I've never had a "road to Damascus" cycling experience. Other cyclists ask me when I started cycling seriously, and I tell them my dad took the training wheels off in spring, 1962. They ask, no, when did I start cycling as an adult? I answer 1975 when I turned 18 and became an adult. Then they ask, no, when did you come back to cycling? The answer: right after breakfast, the morning after my dad took the training wheels off!

TCS
    [HIJACK]
    TCS - Your experience and mine are the same except mine was two years earlier and my Dad was taking the training wheels off one of my older brother's bike to give to the next one older than me but my brother did not want to ride it (he was holding out for a new bike - not a hand-me-down) so I got on it. My feet could not reach the bottom stroke on the pedal so I took my first few strokes pushing the pedal through the stroke with the top side of my high foot until I found my balance and could pedal standing up. My brother got his new bike - a heavy tank of a bike. It was almost a year before I could sit and pedal this bike. My Dad asked if I wanted a new bike and I said no - I saw what he bought my brother and there was no way I wanted a big heavy clunker, I was a bike snob back then too. I never rode a bike with training wheels. I think that was 1960. I rode that same little bike for 10 years. Towards the end of its life it had a bannana seat and butterfly handlebars all of which I modified myself and bought the parts from lawn mowing money. I eventually peeled the steel out around the head set - you could say I used it as an early mountain bike. A neighbor gave me his son's 10 spd when I was 14 and then I bought a new Raliegh Grand Prix at age 17 with money from flipping burgers. I rode that for 12 years, then a Miyata in the mid 80s for 11 years (which I ended up hating), my Simoncini (which I adore) and a Gary Fisher both of which I ride now were bought in the mid 90's and I just added a new Specialized (Jurys still out) to the mix. This addicition has been going strong.
    [/HIJACK]
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You obviously are NOT a certified corporate manager. They know about these things.
    Yes. I would be more the Dilbert type... maybe even Wally. But as certified corporate management, you obviously overlooked the obvious.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff Dnvr. Happy birthday!
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of another totally different part of my life. An a capella singing group I organized almost 2 years ago singing this week at a local nursing home.

Hear us at

http://www.xyzingers.info

We profess no goals! We just love to sing. We are doing a major (for us) hour-long performance of about 20 songs at our local coffee shop on October 26th.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-11-07 at 06:48 AM.

My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix, Trek 7200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy BD DnverFox. It's always, and let me emphasize _always_, good to congratulate someone for being older than me. Here's to many more good years on two wheels.
    You're east of East St. Louis
    And the wind is making speeches.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me chime in with another pat on the back for staying with it for 10 years.

The Peak to Peak Scenic Byway is a pretty stiff challenge. Riding up those hills to Ward, at over 9000' would have me screaming for oxygen.

Also ... nice flatbar bike there!!

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoo-hoo! Hope you had an awesome day!

In '99 cgallag and I bought Spec. HRs, in green, and rode the heck out of 'em for about a year or so. Lent mine to our daughter for her last year at UC Davis and it was stolen. We still have the one, and 2 years ago it was bringing me along into Roadieville. We keep it for guests/kids who want to ride when they visit.

Love that you and your friends sing to seniors! Your outreach and activism for the less-able are as admirable as your tenacity and passion for cycling. I hope you're around to inspire and amaze us for many more years.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Whoo-hoo! Hope you had an awesome day!

In '99 cgallag and I bought Spec. HRs, in green, and rode the heck out of 'em for about a year or so. Lent mine to our daughter for her last year at UC Davis and it was stolen. We still have the one, and 2 years ago it was bringing me along into Roadieville. We keep it for guests/kids who want to ride when they visit.

Love that you and your friends sing to seniors! Your outreach and activism for the less-able are as admirable as your tenacity and passion for cycling. I hope you're around to inspire and amaze us for many more years.
    Thanks, but:

"In November, I will be 68," and also it will be near my 10th anniversary of "serious" bicycling.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-08-07 at 07:03 AM.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 Years and 68th Birthday

In November, I will be 68, and also it will be near my 10th anniversary of "serious" bicycling.

I hope the next 10 years are as much fun!
    And an early Happy Birthday!

Maybe it's the angle of the picture but that bike looks really small..
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    And an early Happy Birthday!

Maybe it's the angle of the picture but that bike looks really small..
    Sort of like a clown riding a tiny bicycle at the circus?

Naw, it IS the angle or whatever. Fits me like a glove, and, besides, most bikes are bought too large!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast