Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody's Gotta Come In Last

Today that somebody was me.

Rode in "The Great River Ride" through the Berkshires in Massachusetts. Got to the ride late. Got a little lost, and pretty soon I was all by myself. So I noodled along on my own through woods and farmland. The trees were glowing with autumn colors. I saw a number of wild turkeys. Even saw a moose, something I never encountered during the six years I lived in New England back in the day.

As I arrived at the first rest stop, a guy was packing up the last of the gatorade and cookies. He told me, with what seemed a bit of an evil grin, "You're last."

"Somebody's gotta be last," I said. I ate a few cookies and a banana and chugged on.

Near the end I met up with a cyclist and was happy to have someone to ride in with. "I got lost," I said by way of explanation for my last-place status.

"I got lost, too" he said. "I'm riding the full century, and I went 20 miles out of my way."

"You lapped me," I told him. "I'm just riding the metric." It seemed to make him feel better.

Anyway, all my life, I never wanted to come in last. And I never did. Until today. And, it was ok. In fact, it wasn't bad at all.
    Last edited by Jet Travis; 10-07-07 at 07:09 PM.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a nice ride, last or not.

The good thing about last is...you don't have to listen to all that "on yer left" crap. Don't ask how I know.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At leasst you got out. I was all preped for a century today myself - did my training rides last weekend, had my nutrition all laid out and was ready. I had a week long meeting in Houston and came down with a raging head cold on Thursday so here I sit on my arse sneezing and coughing and ticked off because I missed the ride - so I guess I didn't come in at all. I may do a solo century in two weeks if the weather is still warm and I am not sick as a dog.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to coming in at that position and got to liking it.
    George

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoulda shaved.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    At leasst you got out. I was all preped for a century today myself - did my training rides last weekend, had my nutrition all laid out and was ready. I had a week long meeting in Houston and came down with a raging head cold on Thursday so here I sit on my arse sneezing and coughing and ticked off because I missed the ride - so I guess I didn't come in at all. I may do a solo century in two weeks if the weather is still warm and I am not sick as a dog.
    The weekend wasn't a complete bust, at least you got the "World Naked Bike Ride" posted.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would feel some stress if I were actually ahead of someone.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It had to be the over training!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I be the one to suggest that last is the new first?
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know if I had to read the results of an event, I'd start reading backwards, that way I could see my name sooner, at least feel like I was in the "lead pack".

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got lost on the Elephant Rock Century - I followed a guy who I thought was going to finish. Instead, he was leaving early for an appointment. I ended up about 15 miles off course. Ended up calling the wife for a ride.

Tragically, at almost the exact place I would have been if I had stayed "on course" a bicycler went down and was killed (not by a car, but by hitting her head). I am so glad to have missed that!
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great ride! Don't forget the old saying "Nice guys often finish last"
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished last on Saturday on a ride that I organized. O.K., only 7 riders came, but last is still last. They got tired of waiting for me and eventually left me to finish alone, except one guy who kept helping block the head wind most of the way. I owe him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you had been riding the Tour de France you would have gotten an award - the lantern rouge.
    Maybe you should now become "Red Jet Travis".
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you folks wonder why I call myself.........LastPlace...... Been there done that..... Repeatedly.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was often lanterne rouge 30 years ago when I rode with Velo Club La Grange, but that never stopped me from enjoying the camaraderie and the ride itself.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I was often lanterne rouge 30 years ago when I rode with Velo Club La Grange, but that never stopped me from enjoying the camaraderie and the ride itself.
    I used to ride with some LaGrange riders 20 years ago, some are still around here.

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Sounds like a nice ride, last or not.

The good thing about last is...you don't have to listen to all that "on yer left" crap. Don't ask how I know.
    I provided sag support in my Mercury during the Blue Water Ramble ride at St Clair MI/Canada yesterday, about 1200+ riders, and if I hear "on yer left" one more time, someone's getting hurt ...

This thread reminds me of two things:
    * In an Army class of seven non-commissioned officers (aka Sergeants), we created a motto because of the difficulty of the physics and math, to kind of put things in perspective: "What happens to the student with the lowest score? He graduates".
    * The last two riders in yesterday's BWR ride ... riding together ... were two hours behind schedule, but it looked like they were still having fun. If anything, their ride was void of a few hundred "on yer lefts".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you had a great day.
    (some would say you should get a white bike)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry some days just don't work out the way you planned. For example: Sat. ride over to join a group ride(50 miles) and got the time wrong an was an hour early. Beautiful day and a large group of 25 riders. Got a phone call from a gal who was stuck in traffic and would we wait? So we start 15 min late, no big deal, but while I am standing talking to someone and my left foot clipped in I shifted my weight and could not get clipped out. Fell over at 0 mph in front of 20+ riders. Twisted my knee and my claf was screaming but I could not back out after that.

Things got only a little bit better. Hot as heck and humid. One rider got caught in the dreaded chip seal shoulder gravel and went down. Very fortunate as he and the bike slid under a barb wire fence. When we got back and I tried to unclip, nothing. Could not get out. Clip was stuck or something. Grabbed on to a chain link fence to stop. Ended up taking the shoe off while attached to the pedal and found that a cleat screw was gone and the other was loose. Got that fixed enough to finish 12 miles to home. On the way home a dirver nearly ran me down. 2" clearance if that. So you are not the only one with a so-so day.

Better days ahead.

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grandaddy always told me, "If you're on a good road, you're not lost!"
    "Put me on a highway. Show me a sign. Take it to the limit one more time"
    -The Eagles

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the reasons I started racing many years ago- was that I felt that if you want to have a winner- then he has to be able to beat someone. I had achieved a lot in previous sports I had participated in so felt that Going out and race- would be one way I could put something into cycling.

OK- I came last for a long time- but only up against the other vets and super vets I was racing against. There were still people I did beat that were in other classes that were put into the same start group as us- so perhaps it doesn't count.

And As I generraly found out- You know that when the tail end Charlie comes in- The organisors can start packing up and go home.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I tend to get lost so often that we call it "having an adventure" since we are going to get to see someplace/thing we wouldn't have otherwise

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure hope you weren't wearing a 50+ jersey!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.