Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-07-07, 08:10 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Have you ever forgotten your jersey??

I drove over an hour to an organized ride and was running late getting there. I got registered and went back to the car and got everything out. I got ready to pin the number to my jersey and my jersey wasn't in my bag that I had packed the night before.......and I had taken out my box of extra stuff a few weeks earlier to make room for a family trip.

I had packed a sleeveless technical undershirt and just decided to wear it. Unfortunately I didn't have anywhere to put my bananas, crackers, cell phone, etcb but decided to ride anyway.

The guys upfront gave me some funny looks.........and it was very sunny so I have a really funky looking light sunburn line this evening.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 08:13 PM   #2
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Haven't forgotten jersey on a big ride, but I regularly forget to don my helmet on after work rides. Usually don't get too far before I remember it.
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 08:17 PM   #3
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think there is anything that I haven't forgotten at least once. Except maybe my bicycle. One time I forgot to remove my car keys from my trunk, rode away and found them there when I got back 3 hours later.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 08:32 PM   #4
Louis

Bikes:
We used to freak our friends out when they drove up to a ride starting point with their bike on a roof rack, by saying "where's your bike?"

Last edited by Louis; 10-08-07 at 08:26 AM.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 05:43 AM   #5
RockyTopBiker
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
I haven't forgotten anything yet today, but yesterday I went out to ride and forgot both my jersey and socks! I rode with a cotton Tee Shirt and Navy crew socks, rolled down all the way to my shoes (which I didn't forget). At least it wasn't an organized ride and only my buddy noticed me. They say that memory is the SECOND thing to go!!
RockyTopBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 06:04 AM   #6
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
I don't think there is anything that I haven't forgotten at least once. Except maybe my bicycle.
I wish I could say I've never forgotten my bike

During the biking season I keep everything in my van including my bike. The only thing I need to remember is my jersey and shorts. I had cleaned the bike and left it in the garage with the intention of putting it back in the car before I left for work the next morning. Well, some things just don't go according to plan It only takes once.....I cleaned the bike last night and it was put into the van immediately.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 06:24 AM   #7
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
I forget my water bottles all the time. My gloves are the second thing I forget, occasionally my helmet, once forgot my shoes but if I forget my bike then I guess I was not going riding anyway.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 07:06 AM   #8
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
I took off early yesterday morning with my bike on my roof rack, then had to pull over about 5 miles out because I couldn't remember having put the front wheel in the trunk (really hard to do without that!). But it was there (whew!).

I've also learned to never set anything on the roof of my car, even for "just a few seconds", while loading up. I lost a favorite pair of gloves that way, and have had a couple other things that I heard roll off as I pulled out.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 07:21 AM   #9
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was trying to focus on a long ride and going over everything twice. I took off feeling good and about 10 miles down the road I reached down to get a drink, no water bottles.
Old 10-08-07, 07:39 AM   #10
knotty
Lost in Nostalgia

Bikes:
Been there, done that. I made a big, 12" x 16" check list written in bold marking pen on the garage door.

Haven't forgotten anything since.

knotty
knotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 07:53 AM   #11
Dchiefransom

Bikes:
Water bottles, or computer, or frame pump, yes, but I wear my cycling clothes while driving to a ride. I worry about forgetting my shoes.
Old 10-08-07, 08:31 AM   #12
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
Helmet, gloves, water bottle, but never a jersey, generally wear my bike stuff when I drive out ot a ride and change for the ride back

2013 Noah RS
stonecrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 11:40 AM   #13
oilman_15106

Bikes:
But I did show up with a pair of shoes with Look cleats and Bebop pedals.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 12:52 PM   #14
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
Well, I feel better about forgetting my heart rate sensor so often, now.
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 01:47 PM   #15
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
Well, I do seem to remember that I once ended up on a 40+ miler in my Florsheims

http://members.aol.com/bfn50gallery/grampstershoes.jpg
Old 10-09-07, 05:29 AM   #16
Neil_B

Bikes:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
I don't think there is anything that I haven't forgotten at least once. Except maybe my bicycle. One time I forgot to remove my car keys from my trunk, rode away and found them there when I got back 3 hours later.
I once went on a half-day ride and returned to discover I left my passenger side car door unlocked. In the back seat was my floor pump. In the front seat, amid bike gear, was personal mail and my wallet. God must have a soft spot for fools, because nothing was taken from the car.
Old 10-09-07, 05:33 AM   #17
Neil_B

Bikes:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTopBiker View Post
I haven't forgotten anything yet today, but yesterday I went out to ride and forgot both my jersey and socks! I rode with a cotton Tee Shirt and Navy crew socks, rolled down all the way to my shoes (which I didn't forget). At least it wasn't an organized ride and only my buddy noticed me. They say that memory is the SECOND thing to go!!
I forgot socks, but it was on the ride INTO work.
Old 10-11-07, 04:19 PM   #18
Carusoswi

Bikes:
I used to have one of those quick-release type seatpost racks on my C'dale Cyclodisc. Took of on a beautiful Sunday morning to ride and snap some pics with my camera that I carried in a trunk that strapped to that rack. About fifteen miles out, I come upon a scene worthy of some bytes on my cam. Go to reach for it, and there's no bag on my rack.

My brain cannot resolve for me whether or not I ever actually attached the bag, so I relinquish my aim of a long ride, and decide to retrace my path just in case the bag fell off en route. I get back to the house to peer through the window at my bag sitting on the kitchen table. Cannot get to it as I am now locked out of the house - keys are in the bag.

So, my ride turned into a long one afterall, since, without keys, there was almost nothing else for me to do. Felt better knowing that my bag wasn't laying in a ditch somewhere, however.

Another time I put on a long raincoat over my PJ's to go out after the morning newspaper. I got so engrossed in reading the news, that I wound up driving off to work only to discover, upon arriving at the office, that I was still wearing my PJ's (and only my PJ's) under that raincoat . . . very embarrassing, indeed.

Caruso
Carusoswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-07, 05:16 PM   #19
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
Haven't forgotten jersey on a big ride, but I regularly forget to don my helmet on after work rides. Usually don't get too far before I remember it.
My rear-view mirror is attached to my helmet. If I can't see behind me, I know I forgot it.
Old 10-11-07, 05:43 PM   #20
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
Quote:
HaHa, I've even forgotten my bike! I drove to where I wanted to start a training ride, got dressed, then opened the back of the car to get my bike. Not there. Left it in the house.

At one time or another I have forgotten every single thing I might need for a ride. From shoes, shorts, helmet, jersey, pump, saddle bag, front wheel, etc...

If you ride often enough and are hurried enough, anything can be forgotten.
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-07, 06:09 PM   #21
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!
I went for a ride and didn't forget anything..........looked down and saw 1 blue cycling shoe and 1 red cycling shoe....oh yeah, I think I had odd socks on too.
stevegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 04:31 AM   #22
sch

Bikes:
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Helmet on several occasions, shoes on at least one occasion, currently
water bottles when I ride evenings on the tandem.
Worst case was a trip to Wash DC, a 650mi drive, 4yrs ago. I picked up the
shoes and put them in with the rest of the bike stuff and loaded up. About 40mi
out a lite went off and alarms rang: I picked up the MIDDLE two shoes of the
road shoes on the left and bent shoes on the right. Quick halt on the interstate
hop out and check ::: !?*& yup had one road and one bent shoe, different pedals.
Turned around and drove the extra 80mi. Wife was noncommital.
sch is online now   Reply With Quote