Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rain and staying in shape

Later this week, rain is forecast, however here in SF, it never rains continuously like some parts of the country. Luckily I live very near the Presidio where there are good hills and flats to practice on. In between the rain, I usually hit the hills hard and if it starts to sprinkle, just rush back home. That in combination with the rollers and maybe even a bit of jogging, should keep the condition up. (hopefully)

knotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just walking a lot in SF will keep you in decent cardio shape.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '87 DeRosa Professional, '91 Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, 1999 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, before I started to ride again, used to fast walk a couple very steep hills, one in the Marina and the other near Parnassus med center. A real workout! the next day, your calves would hurt so bad!

knotty

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind rain and the occasional stiff wind is not a problem. But rain and wind are the worst combination for me. I will check the forecast's and If the rain will ease up- then on goes the waterproof and ride. But if it is rain and wind- then I will think about doing something else instead of riding.

Best investment I made on clothing was getting a Goretex top about 8 years ago. Doesn't matter how much rain will fall- And from a few rides- How hard the gale will be blowing the rain at you. A good waterproof will keep you dry. Then there is no need to cut the ride short.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing I dislike about rain riding is the mess it makes on the bike.

I built up a rain road bike with fenders/mudguards, but don't ask how many times I've intentionally gone out into the rain with it.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rather enjoy riding in the rain as long as it isn't a cold driving rain. It doesn't take that long to wipe the bike down and apply a bit of lube where necessary.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rule is I never start a ride in the rain. But I do love those brief showers in hot muggy weather.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started to run with my wife again after an over 2 year layoff. In this time I have started to bike but not so much in the winter so I have a trainer but I'm not real good about using it ( BORING) so its back to pounding the pavement 3 times a week hopefully the old knees and back wont' give me the trouble they did before when I was running. I'm over 30 lbs lighter than I was then so that has helped so far but I still get some soreness. I'm thinking as I get into running shape that will get better.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you afraid you'll melt?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it didn't rain, my bike would never get washed!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    If it didn't rain, my bike would never get washed!
    Do you know what rain is in S.D? Postponing tonights ride till tomorrow- Too many deep puddles at the edge of the road and the Beechnuts and Acorns are all over the hilly country routes. Only had 2" of rain today but The drains are blocked from a summer of not being used.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2" of rain is a sunny day in England isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in Redwood City, and I've spent a lot of time in SF. Now I live in Reno, and the Bay Area winters look like paradise to me. Barring the occasional really heavy rain--which as you said rarely lasts long--I'd ride year-round there. You never have snow, the tiny amount of ice you see twice a year melts off instantly and rain, in reasonable quantities, is easy to deal with.
    The cold isn't a factor here all the time (it's not hard to dress for 25 degrees), but lingering ice and packed snow on the roads is a killer. Just get on the bike adn go.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    My rule is I never start a ride in the rain. But I do love those brief showers in hot muggy weather.
    This is my plan as well. The other drawback I have is I usually ride with other people and doing pacelines in the rain is really messy with all of the muck being thrown up at you from the wheels in front. Then of course when it rains down here there is no such thing as a shower, its full on downpours. Good news is they are generally brief and then the sun comes out.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS