Thread: Commuter bike

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commuter bike

Who has a bike set up just as a commuter? And what pedals do you use? Clip, Mtb, OR Road?

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to zero-in on a particular bike for commuting. What people use is all over the map, as it depends on physical needs, and all the other variables regarding length, condition and circumstances of each commute.

Here in the Marine Temperate Zone of the Pacific Northwest, you can still get a wide assortment of set-ups. This, even though we all experience the same weather and similar traffic/ roads. For me, a well built touring bike or an old school rigid MTB, set up for roads, is the best and most versatile commuter. To me, a good setup means, full fenders, long flaps, upright position, and waterproof panniers - no backpack.

My Trek 930 MTB has platform pedals right now, but I switch to SPD's sometimes. Same wtith the Trek 520. When the weather is less wet - I say "less wet" because it's always wet here - I generally use the SPD's. Platforms in the winter so I can use waterproof lightweight hikers as footwear. Cheap platforms work just as good as pricey ones, IMO.

Both bikes have slick Armadillos.

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute, year round, in Maine My commute is 29 miles RT. I have a bike which is set up as a commuter, although I have been toying with the idea of getting a new commuter bike next year....

Here is how my commute bike is set up:

Pedals are Shimano SPD - summer time I use cycling shoes, winter I use Lake cycling boots and wool socks. I like to clip in, but I also like to be able to walk in the shoes so that I can stop for misc errands on the way to/from work.

Fenders - SKS

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires

Front hub is a Shimano Dyno hub, with a Lumotec LED headlight and an el-cheapo generator powered tail light mounted to the rear fender. These lights are on pretty much all the time.

There is also a Dinotte 5W headlight and a Dinotte Taillight - which run when it is dark. I also have a Dinotte 5W light on the top of my winter helmet.

Frame is a steel touring bike frame (Bianchi San Remo).

Brooks B-17 saddle

9 speed RDER (Shimano 105)

RDer is controlled by a bar-end shifter

Fder (triple which is hardly ever off the middle ring) is controlled by a downtube shifter.

Mirror in the left bar-end.

Avid 'Shorty-6' Canti brakes

Rear Rack is a Tubus Cargo, with an Arkel Tailrunner on it.

Depending on what I need to bring to/from work, I carry one or two Arken T-42 panniers, and sometimes an Arkel briefcase

If I do go for a new commuter, I am thinking of building a bike around a Rohloff hub..... I would also want the frame to be able to accomodate more clearance between the fender and the tire, the Schwalbe Marathon Plus's are great, but barely squeeze between under the fender on the fork.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cannondale f500
    Skinny 1" Tom Slick Tires
    Night Sun dual beam light
    Planet Bike blinkie rear light
    Cheap rack
    Grocery bag carriers (free, so i took 'em)
    spd pedals
    Shimano shoes with cleats (I hate riding without cleats, or at least cages)
    Put on a tighter spaced cassette because my commute is pretty flat. Didn't need to, but it's kinda nice.

I'll put on the fenders when it starts to rain. Clip on SKS.
    16 miles a day, every day with very rare exceptions.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a used Univega hybrid that I'm turning into my commuter/store bike. The LBS is changing the rear axle to quick release and putting on rubber bar grips. I'm putting Specialized Armadillos on, 700 X 38. I went today and bought two Planet Bike Blinkie 7 tail lights, They will go on the seat stays facing slightly to the side, with a Planet Bike Superflash Blinkie facing back. I picked up a Topeak rack with quick release, and will get a Topeak bag for it. I'll use Eggbeaters and wear my Sidis. Got a 5 watt Nighthawk light for the front, as well as a white blinkie up there. This is mostly for the 3 mile run on each end of the train ride during fair weather and runs to the store. Going to see how much I can leave the Jeep sitting in the driveway.
    Maybe I'll get crazy and rig it up for rain riding, but working outside most of the day in the rain is enough for me right now.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sauerwald, do you really commute year round in the snow? We dont get a lot of snow in Indiana, think that could be done here? Interesting to think about. do you go bike trails or with traffic when it snows?

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1970 Peugeot UO-8 with aluminum cranks and rims, 27 x 1-1/4" Vittoria tires, 43 to 93 inch 12-speed half-step gearing (45-42 / 13-15-17-20-23-26), SunTour ratchet barcons, period-correct Pletscher "mousetrap" rack and cylindrical Bellwether handlebar bag, road quill pedals with clips and straps.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sauerwald, are you really 50+? You seemed alot younger than that when we worked together.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute year-round, except for the few days a year when there's snow or ice because the drivers in DC are too nuts then.

My commuter is a Rivendell Glorius mixte, with MKS touring pedals and strapless toe clips, SKS fenders, red Ortlieb backroller panniers, and a Planet Bike Alias SC headlight. For me, it's the perfect setup.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trek 520

I think a touring bike makes a great commuter. Comfortable, rugged, and you can hang a lot of stuff on them (racks, lights, fenders, etc.). I got a used Trek 520 for commuting, and like it more than the racing-style bike I had been using. Bigger tires make me feel safer on bad city pavement, and I can watch traffic better (instead of looking for holes in the pavement, I'm looking at cars). The Trek is also doubling as my winter/rain bike -- having this bike fitted out w/fenders means that on wet weekend days I'll still head out for a ride instead of sitting around hoping for clearer weather.

I use SPD pedals 'cause I don't like riding without them. I keep an extra pair of shoes at work.

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    sauerwald, do you really commute year round in the snow? We dont get a lot of snow in Indiana, think that could be done here? Interesting to think about. do you go bike trails or with traffic when it snows?
    There are no bike trails anywhere near my commute - I ride exclusively on the roads. I drive my car when the temp drops below 0F (-18C), because I just get too cold then, or if there is ice on the surface of the roads. Our snow removal here in Maine is pretty good, so the snow is generally cleared off of the surface of the roads within a few hours after each storm, so last year I probably had half a dozen days were I drove because of the road conditions, and another half dozen because it was too cold. I have found myself riding home in the snow a few times when a storm comes through while I am at work - I find that the motorists tend to be very accommodating to a cyclist in the snow, so that isn't my major concern - it is just a lot of work to ride 15 miles in the snow!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Sauerwald, are you really 50+? You seemed alot younger than that when we worked together.
    John, we worked together a long time ago!

I am actually a cheater, I am 49. I hang out in here because due to some health issues, I find myself having a lot more in common with the 50+ crowd than I do the younger groups. - Although only 49, I have confronted the questions of how long after a colonoscopy can you ride, I have suffered a heart attack, and ride partially to keep my heart in good condition. Try asking someone in the road cycling forum about colonoscopy! - Here I get decent advice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you can see, opinions vary according as to a rider's tastes/riding conditions etc. Any bike, properly set up, works well as a commuter. FWIW, my 'commuter' is my main bike: heavily upgraded hardtail mtb, with discs; the rear triangle does have rack/fender mounts, though I've yet to use 'em. Anyway, here's its 'commuter/all-around road/trail riding' spec.: frame is an '04 Giant Rainier; SRAM x9 drivetrain w/ Shim. LX Hollowtech crank; SPD pedals (can't stand riding w/o being clipped in); Mavic XC 717 disc wheels on Shim. XT hubs w/ Panaracer T-Serv folding tires; carbon rigid disc fork; riser bars w/ Ergon grips; other bits/pieces; I use clip-on led's for lighting. About the only thing left stock (frame aside) is the brakes (Avid). All up weight right now about 23 lbs. (I like lightish bikes for stairs/elevators etc.). Works for me: v. fast when I feel like it, very 'quick' handling but also stable; comfortable; and great in any weather I'd care to ride in. I commute daily from February to end of November (and into December when roads are clear).

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another year-round commuter here. I use SPDs because I like to be able to walk when I reach my destination. Of course, I wouldn't work all day in them, so I keep sneakers and boots in my locker.

Someone asked about riding in snow. Sure, I ride in it. It certainly beats walking the bike through it! I run Nokian Hakkapellitta W106 700x35 studded snow tires on my bike. They're plenty grippy and surprisingly comfy. I've seen them for only $37 this season (at ebikestop.com). The best price when I bought mine was $50.

Here's my rig:

My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a alum. cyclocross bike frame (made by Airborne) that is built up as a commuter. Disc brakes, fenders, great lights, a rear rack and wider tires. I use flat bars in the winter so I can use dry riders to keep my hands from freezing and drop bars the rest of the year. My pedal type is SPD-SL road pedals. I keep shoes at work so I can ride with road bike shoes. The bike is a bit of a pig compared to my nice road bike but it goes in any weather, if good weather is assured, I'll take my Seven its like switching from a SUV to a sports car.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tntom View Post
    Who has a bike set up just as a commuter? And what pedals do you use? Clip, Mtb, OR Road?
    My main commuter is a comfort hybrid with 38c's because of the streetcar tracks in Toronto...skinny tires are deadly. I swapped the cog set to an 11-30, but use my granny for the climbs through some river valleys that border Toronto. The peddles are solid aluminum flats because I keep hitting curbs as cars leave little room to get by. There's a carrier as I have 2 panniers for tools, rain gear, tubes...and usually pick up groceries on the way home.

The bike is in black paint and made to look like crap to deter bike thieves, but its a good old bike

In winter I ride a rigid MTB in snow and ice
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my day to day commuter.

It's set up for day to day use and is a stock Specialized Hard Rock with fenders, lights, street tires and a rack. I got it to deal with Little Rock's hilly, potholed streets. I ride in all weather including snow and rain. The pedals are stock platforms.

Before that my main commuter was

An American Eagle/Nishiki, its fine for basic commuting. I used to put 18 miles a day on it in my last job in California. But it just didn't have the gearing to be happy in Little Rock. The frame is early 70's. The drive train a mixture of early '70s and mid 80s components. After 35 years, its semi-retired and is now for fun rides and occasional commutes. I've commuted on it in temps as high as 120. It has toe clips on the pedals.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 10-09-07 at 02:39 PM.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Before that my main commuter was

An American Eagle/Nishiki, its fine for basic commuting. I used to put 18 miles a day on it in my last job in California. But it just didn't have the gearing to be happy in Little Rock. The frame is early 70's. The drive train a mixture of early '70s and mid 80s components. After 35 years, its semi-retired and is now for fun rides and occasional commutes. I've commuted on it in temps as high as 120.
    I like that orange roadie...very similar to my old commuter that's now used on asphalt at the cottage
    Attached Images Attached Images

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't Commute but Use the bikes for errands round the town in the evenings and weekends. Pedals are one of the things that you do eventually settle out on and I cannot ride a bike with ease without clipless pedals. However- one of the bikes has SPD's with the large cage round them so that I can ride it without using clipless shoes. Don't use that one very often but I will sometimes use a clipless pedal bike with Trainers if I have to walk round the town without having noisy feet.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My philosophy is that there are three important things to look for in a commuting bike -- convenience, convenience, and convenience. After all, I'm too lazy to drive. It's a German Kettler Silverstar with added hub dynamo. It came with Shimano Nexus-7, Shimano front and rear drum brakes, rack, chainguard, and fenders.

Tires are Schwalbe Marathon Plus, swithching to Nikian W-106 studded tires for winter use. I refuse to drive my car in the winter salt brine unless I really have to.

There is an Adams Trail A Bike for carrying my daughter and a trailer for groceries.

Pedals are normal ones -- none of those newfangled pedal attachnments for me.

Everyone has their own idea what makes a commuter.

Paul

Lynskey road
    My Bikes
    Lynskey, Bianchi Superleggera, Brompton S-2X, Novara Element, some ol' tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Brompton because part of my comute is on train. Love it!

SBAZ
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Wingra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my Commuter

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, those pics are neat! My Commute/ or Urban bike is:

Its actual 96' Cannondale F500 MTB with 700c wheels.
    My bike will convert into singled-speed pretty soon!

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GMERGOD View Post
    wow, those pics are neat! My Commute/ or Urban bike is:

Its actual 96' Cannondale F500 MTB with 700c wheels.
    My bike will convert into singled-speed pretty soon!
    You mean I could'da put 700c wheels on my Cannondale? (upthread photo) I had no idea to even try it. I thought I was stuck with 26"ers.
    Darn it, I sold my wife's old wheel when she upgraded her road bike.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon (Vintage); Merckx MX Leader (Campy 10); Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB), Alex Singer (allrounder)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a rabid bike commuter but do commute as often as pratical which means if it's really nasty outside or am not feeling well I drive the car. I normally do not carry work clothes on the ride. I keep a least a weeks worth at work, replenishing on the days when I drive in or an on an errand in town using the car. I like to travel light. When it's nice...I can log as much as a thousand miles during a month of commuting (avg R/T is 56 miles not counting 'scenic routes'). I use all 3 of my bikes for commuting - during the summer months in nice weather I take my fast bike. Other times, just for fun, I take my mountain bike and use routes that take me off-road as possible but my primary commuter is my oldest bike - a true 10 speed bike circa 1977. It has fenders which makes it very comfortable in wet weather.

All 3 bikes have clipless pedal. My fast bike has road pedals, the other two mountain SPD syle pedals. I find the SPD pedals a much better choice especially for commuting. Easier to walk in the shoes.

In my experience, riding an MTB in an upright position is not nearly as comfortable or efficient as riding a road bike with drops if the commute take over an hour each way. But my situation is likely different than yours, my route is mostly rural, traffic pretty light on nice pavement. I'd probably use a MTB if I had to ride in an urban situation where it would be easier to jump curbs, navigate potholes n such.