Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How Important are Goals in Your 50+ Cycling?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: How Important are Goals to Your 50+ Bicycling?
Goals are extremely important - I need them in my bicycling
16.67%
Goals are somewhat important to me in my bicycling
38.46%
Goals are OK, but I don't worry much about them in my bicycling
24.36%
I generally don't use goals in my bicycling
14.10%
I dislike any goals in my bicycling
2.56%
I find that the importance of goals in my bicycling has decreased as I get older.
17.95%
I find that the importance of goals in my bicycling has increased as I get older.
8.97%
My whole life is goal oriented - just about everything I do.
2.56%
I use goals in my work, but try to reduce their emphasis in the rest of my life such as bicycling
8.97%
Something else - please add below.
1.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

How Important are Goals in Your 50+ Cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 06:30 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have developed these biking related goals for me:
Goal #1 I do everything I can think of to make my standard 50 mile/day ride faster and easier.
Goal #2 I am planning to do anual cross America tours until my body/mind will not let me.
Goal #3 I hope to succeed in getting my son and one of my friends to join me in #2.
Old 10-08-07, 06:30 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Yeah, that last 8 miles is one of the hardest pieces of road I've ever travelled. I got to the point where I could actually see the top, riders standing around, etc. In my mind I still almost quit, but forced myself to go on because Sarah and Cathy were up there waiting for me, along with some Rice Crispie treats.
Yes big john,

Funny you should mention that! When I was nearing the top of Onyx, I could hear voices, but due to the low oxygen levels, and overall "used up" state of my mind at that point, I thought they weren't "real." I remember thinking "Now I know I'm really out of it!"

But then (a few vertical feet later) I actually recognized a voice (Lynn Katano), and at that moment it became clear to me that I was really going to make it. It was like grasping victory out of the pits of hopelessness, or at least it seemed like that at the time. Yeah, must have been the altitude!

For those 50+ riders not intimately familiar with Breathless Agony, pls. ref:

https://www.cyclingpros.com/onyx.htm

Notice how "onyx" is actually part of the web address. Is that sick or what?

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-08-07, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
You must have read the Dharma Bums one too many times. Get with the program, wierdo.

One of my life's heroes, Japhy Ryder.
Old 10-08-07, 07:09 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Louis

One of my life's heroes, Japhy Ryder.
We know that, son. It's all in your dossier.
Old 10-08-07, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,038 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
I think the word "goal" is sometimes pretty hard to define. I prepare for cycling events with the intention of enjoying the ride and not dragging my friends down or embarrassing myself. I don't really consider that a goal.

I don't believe I've ever used cycling to accomplish something outside of the actual cycling experience.

I see good health as a bonus, not a goal. I would still ride...even if it was unhealthy.
+1, this is how I feel. I did start cycling to get in better shape for off-road motorcycles, but gave that up in 1990,or so.
I want to stay fit enough to enjoy the long adventure rides I love so much, but I don't mind finishing last. I guess that would be my goal, to keep doing hard rides as long as I can.
Old 10-10-07, 02:31 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Interesting results. Most of you are more "goal" oriented than I would have predicted.

Would "performance goal" have been a better descriptor, and if I had used "performance goal" would your answers have been different?
Old 10-10-07, 05:25 PM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have always been goal oriented especially as a salesman, salesmanager,and business , had to be too be successful and stay ahead of the competition
I was goal oriented when I did alot of running always for the fastest time in marthons and 10 K
weight lifting the same as much weight as possible
raising a family about the same with morals and values as well as now with my grandchildren.

cycling pretty much so, Averaging 100-150 miles aweek and maintaining a a high average speed
I guess I have been goal oriented my whole life,funny never really thought about it.
I just have always strived to go past 100 % and find a way to achieve what ever results I needed regardless of what it is.

At 55 I don't know if I am as still goal oriented but I still drive myself to do the best in everything I do.
I have had to let up somewhat on my cycling do too arthritis, instead of hammering, more spinning and lighter reps with my weight program there are some other health issues from when I served in the military that have come back to haunt me so I just try too do the best I can and my biggest goal now is for Everyday to be a Great day enjoy my family, children, grandchildren and my wife.
Old 10-10-07, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I'm just loking for a solid workout in my riding. I was working up to 25's and just got tired of recumbutt. I've dropped back to 15's and am much more comfortable with it. I do try to increase the intensity of the workout within the 15 mle framework. So far it's working well. Lost 60 pounds and have increased lung power and endurance a lot. For a guy who is pushing 60, I really am doing ok. bk
Old 10-10-07, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,038 Times in 4,475 Posts
Recumbutt?
Old 10-10-07, 09:23 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Interesting results. Most of you are more "goal" oriented than I would have predicted.

Would "performance goal" have been a better descriptor, and if I had used "performance goal" would your answers have been different?
Yes, if it was contrasted with recreational or fitness goal.

Although for me, my primary goals were performance goals too ... just modest ones. Last year I couldn't ride 5 miles. My "performance" goal this year was to be able to ride 25-30 miles, which I exceeded by topping 40 on four occasions.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 10-10-07 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-10-07, 09:51 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting results. Most of you are more "goal" oriented than I would have predicted. Would "performance goal" have been a better descriptor, and if I had used "performance goal" would your answers have been different?
Yes, at least for me, all goals are "performance" goals. For those that said something to the effect of "Just riding and enjoying life is my goal (or something similar)" I would reply, "That's not a goal!"

Still, maybe it is for some folks, so I'm not saying that's wrong . . . it's just not what I would consider to be a "goal."

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 10-11-07 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-10-07, 11:00 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I got back into cycling (way back in 1991), I've always enjoyed challenging myself with "performance goals"...I find they're a good motivator for my training, a good way to measure my progress, and a way to keep it interesting.

This year, I've decided try my hand at bike racing and I'm currently on vacation in St. George, Utah, competing in the Huntsman World Senior Games.

In the last two days I've won a bronze and a silver medal, with two more events to go. I've posted a thread here with descriptions of the events and pictures of this incredibly beautiful area.
Old 10-10-07, 11:26 PM

Bikes: Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leigh get off your butt and go find a goal...
Well is getting up and wacking out a few miles before hitting the coffee shop a goal?
No
Well what about doing a few tours a year is that a goal?
No...that;s escaping
Well can't escaping be a goal
MMmm...
Old 10-10-07, 11:33 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
As I rode around to my garage, I encountered three neighborhood girls, one immigrant girl, and one garden hose. The situation got out of hand very quickly.
Wow. I'm imagining a Benny Hill sketch!
Old 10-10-07, 11:38 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You know the story of the grasshopper and the ant? I'm an ant for much of my life. On the bike, I'm a grasshopper.

However, having said that, when I break a previous record for speed or distance (or weaving handless), I get pretty jazzed. And, as a grasshopper, I look forward to the day when I wander across states eating things.
Old 10-11-07, 12:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
You know the story of the grasshopper and the ant? I'm an ant for much of my life. On the bike, I'm a grasshopper.

However, having said that, when I break a previous record for speed or distance (or weaving handless), I get pretty jazzed. And, as a grasshopper, I look forward to the day when I wander across states eating things.

I'm a big fan of Eastern metaphor, but I have no idea what in the hell yer talkin' about, lady...
Old 10-11-07, 12:37 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
I'm a big fan of Eastern metaphor, but I have no idea what in the hell yer talkin' about, lady...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ant...he_Grasshopper

Apparently also known as the "ant and the dung beetle"....

Old 10-11-07, 12:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ant...he_Grasshopper

Never mind...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
EmilyLitella.jpg (28.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-11-07, 11:15 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My "goals" are typically, getting to work, getting the groceries, going to Target or going out on a recreational ride to see a sight or just get away from things.
Old 10-12-07, 10:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just food for thought:
I spend 3 hours/day out of 16 waking hours on a bike. My friends spend much more than that proportion golfing, watching TV and other non-exercise recreation. (we are retired)
I used to spend much more than that proportion sitting in cars, airports, bars, restaurants, watch TV and reading.
For some reason the 3 hours/day biking draw attention and are called obsessive as where as the other activities do not draw such comments.
Is it the result of Group-think? If someone does not conform to Group-think he/she is subject to critical comments?
Old 10-12-07, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
It seems that there must be a goal in order for me to ride. That goal can be getting to work, going shopping, coming home, taking my daughter someplace. Without a mission, I don't have the motivation to ride. Don't get me wrong - I love cycling - but there has to be a trip involved. I regard cycling exactly as I did when I was 12.

I've met a lot of my goals recently. In addtion to commuting to and from my new office, these have included riding to the dealer to pick up one of our cars, riding to my child's school for a meeting, and going shopping for a week's groceries. I'm always learning new routes and exploring them. It's a constant process of discovery and adventure.

Paul
Old 10-12-07, 10:56 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by will dehne
Is it the result of Group-think? If someone does not conform to Group-think he/she is subject to critical comments?
If John Ashcroft was still around, I would have reported this post to him. You need to be carefully watched.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-12-07, 11:09 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
Just food for thought:
I spend 3 hours/day out of 16 waking hours on a bike. My friends spend much more than that proportion golfing, watching TV and other non-exercise recreation. (we are retired)
I used to spend much more than that proportion sitting in cars, airports, bars, restaurants, watch TV and reading.
For some reason the 3 hours/day biking draw attention and are called obsessive as where as the other activities do not draw such comments.
You are stating thst this group can actually think! Whoa - I doubt it!

It appears that you have some rather excellent company in the "I like goals" group. Keep it up.
Old 10-12-07, 03:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 2006 I had a goal of riding to work at least 4 days a week and pretty much met the goal. There were some days that it was great and other days that were hard. I had a couple of hard climbs to and from work and would usually be beat by the end of the week. Take a couple of days off on the weekend to get ready for the next commuting week.

2007 I retired and had a couple goals but did not start out with those goals. I wanted to do a 200 km brevet and set a goal of 4000 miles on the road. 200 km brevet was one of the toughest rides that I have done because of the cold, rain, snow, sleet, hail and heavy winds. I was able to finish in 12 hours which I think was really great considering the conditions.

Still striving toward the 4000 mile goal. If I make it fine, if I do not fine. The goals are minor in relationship to the other more important things in life, spending time with my loving and patient wife, being involved with my son, who is in the Navy and now has a great assignment at the Naval Post Graduate School, Monterey CA. Hope to go see him and take the bike to ride on the way out in different states and in California.
Old 10-12-07, 06:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are stating thst this group can actually think! Whoa - I doubt it!

It appears that you have some rather excellent company in the "I like goals" group. Keep it up.
Denver-
I will share with you a few dark thoughts. I like this 50+ forum and feel among friends here with common interests. Remember that I come from a town of few cyclists and friends who do not bike.
Biking is only a minor portion of my life but not unimportant.
For my other interests I go to other forums. For example: Financial Forums, Real Estate Forum, Traveling, Chess, etc.
I find it distracting to be called single minded or obsessive just because you guys see only the biking side of me. I will not bother you guys with my other interests. This is a biking forum. That does not mean that we posters have no other life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.