Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How Important are Goals to Your 50+ Bicycling?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Goals are extremely important - I need them in my bicycling

13 16.67%
  • Goals are somewhat important to me in my bicycling

30 38.46%
  • Goals are OK, but I don't worry much about them in my bicycling

19 24.36%
  • I generally don't use goals in my bicycling

11 14.10%
  • I dislike any goals in my bicycling

2 2.56%
  • I find that the importance of goals in my bicycling has decreased as I get older.

14 17.95%
  • I find that the importance of goals in my bicycling has increased as I get older.

7 8.97%
  • My whole life is goal oriented - just about everything I do.

2 2.56%
  • I use goals in my work, but try to reduce their emphasis in the rest of my life such as bicycling

7 8.97%
  • Something else - please add below.

1 1.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Important are Goals in Your 50+ Cycling?

You may post responses to as many different statements as you like. Your answers will be public.

"How Important are Goals in Your 50+ Cycling?"

OK, I pretty much hijacked another thread about goals, but we did get a lot of interesting responses.

So, I am posting, with trepidation, another poll.

Please send all of your comments on how you would have done a better poll or asked better questions directly to me as a PM. That way I won't be tempted to get upset and respond publicly. Upset is not a good health environment for a 65+'r.

And, I am sorry, but it is not possible to edit or rewrite questions once a poll is posted, and every poll is limited to 10 questions.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-08-07 at 11:57 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who's trepidation?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I always have a goal that I strive for at some time in the year. Normally around the middle of the year and then I can relax a bit and Enjoy the rest of the summers riding. Then I have winter to think about the next goal and once I have made it- It is out on the bike- down the gym- anything I can do to get fit to meet the goal.

Still trying to see if next years goal will be possible. Not only the riding goal- but the arranging of a holiday and riding mates to be able to do it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Who's trepidation?
    He rides a white bike. You should know him!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they are more important if you are new to the sport or have returned after a layoff, as my case.

The other problem is goal measurment. One of my 2006 goals was to become a better climber. Have I met that goal? I would say yes because I have not had to get off and push the bike up one hill this year.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll have to answer that I place some significance on goals. However my goal was to get to the point of where I could take relaxing 1 to 2 hour rides. Not a typical goal-driven objective.

My #1 goal was to enjoy a relaxing ride on a bike. And that is still my goal, every time out.

#2 goal is to ride enough to maintain & develop fitness and comfort on a bike to achieve goal #1.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started bicycling at age 58, I was VERY goal oriented. I was going to "Ride the Rockies" in three months of training, and I did, which is pretty amazing, considering all. Also, I've done the "required" Centuries.

I regularly ride - for pleasure - 100 to 150 miles per week. But that is NOT a goal, it is a routine. I like to go up hills and challenge myself rom time-to-time, but again, that is for pleasure, not as a goal.

So, I do quite a bit of bicycling, but I have no specific goals about my bicycling. I guess my goals have turned into habits. I figure that, at almost 68 yo, if I continue riding 100 - 150 miles per week as long as I can, if I continue weight lifting (another goal turned into a habit) and walking 15 miles or so a week (another habit) that I will stay pretty darn fit. BUt, I don't chart or measure anything except I keep a running track in my head of about how many miles I have ridden and/or walked, and how many workouts I have done each week.

I had not thought of that, but most of my previous goals have indeed become habits! Interesting. In fact, if I DON'T do my "habits" my body gets very upset! Is that a sort of goal?

I think that maybe I am in "maintenance" mode!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-08-07 at 08:18 PM.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

I had not thought of that, but most of my previous goals have indeed become habits! Interesting. In fact, if I DON'T do my "habits" my body gets very upset! Is that a sort of goal?

You could say your goals are to maintain the goals you've reached

My 2006 goals were to ride a century and ride at least 2000 miles. Checked those off.

My 2007 goals were to do a week long bike tour, ride at least 3000 miles and become a better climber. I did two tours this summer, have 2927 miles as of last week and I believe I've improved on the hill climbing. I haven't avoided hilly routes and there were only a couple hills that I walked. A few I had to stop and rest before finishing but I didn't walk them

My biggest reason for riding is I enjoy it and I do it for health benefits.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    He rides a white bike. You should know him!
    Does he always wear a black hoodie and carry a big sickle thingie? That guy's been following me around.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heart warming vignette that I'll be able to get away with for a little bit longer maybe--

How to maximize the "smiles per miles" ratio, whcih should be our goal around here:

I hopped on my bike for some R&R time yesterday. Got 1/3 mile down the road. Oops, I forgot my bike bag. Better go back and get it.

As I rode around to my garage, I encountered three neighborhood girls, one immigrant girl, and one garden hose. The situation got out of hand very quickly.

The final tally: smiles 175 +/- a few, miles, 0.6. Do the math.

Calories burned: about 20. We all gotta make adjustments.

In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goals are very important to me. I set very specific goals for my racing and more general goals for my overall riding (i.e. - - going off some stunt or feature that I've chickened out on before, going faster in a section of a familiar trail, etc.) I honestly think I'm faster now than I was in my forties for having worked on stepping up my game a bit every year.

One of my goals this year is to podium in my first-ever Sea Otter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Heart warming vignette that I'll be able to get away with for a little bit longer maybe--

How to maximize the "smiles per miles" ratio, whcih should be our goal around here:

I hopped on my bike for some R&R time yesterday. Got 1/3 mile down the road. Oops, I forgot my bike bag. Better go back and get it.

As I rode around to my garage, I encountered three neighborhood girls, one immigrant girl, and one garden hose. The situation got out of hand very quickly.

The final tally: smiles 175 +/- a few, miles, 0.6. Do the math.

Calories burned: about 20. We all gotta make adjustments.

How many calories is burned by one smile? Likely about 10 or so?

A new weight loss reduction program - or book - "Smile Yourself Thin"

My Bikes
    Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My goal is not about the miles or speed on a bike but about how often I can commute on my bike. Durning the winter I try to ride about 50% of the time if I can, and the spring summer and fall I try to ride as much as 90% of the time. I have yet to meet that goal on a regular bases. Only once this summer I was able to ride every work day of the month.
    I ride to coast !!!

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2005 and 2006 my goal was to ride seven double centuries, and I did that, but I was unsuccessful in 2007, with only four doubles to date, and the Fall Solvang Double coming up on Oct. 20th. So, if I finish Solvang Fall under the time limit that will be five for 2007, and retain my Thousand Mile Club status (for the fourth straight year), i.e. 1,000 miles of doubles per year.

In 2007 I only rode one double with the "Extremely High Difficulty" rating. In 2008 my goal is to ride at least seven doubles, including two (Mulholland and Heartbreak) with the same high rating, two of which will also count for King of the Mountain points. So (if I can survive Breathless Agony - only 114 mi. 14,000 ft. of climbing) I will earn the CA King of the Mountain jersey.

In 2007 I rode the Mt. Tam double, even though it took me 17 Hrs. and 8 minutes to complete. Still, with so much climbing it was good training for the doubles on my "Goal List" for 2008!

Good to hear that lots of other 50+ riders are working on their climbing for 2007 - 2008!

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 10-09-07 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride for the enjoyment of riding. If seeking a good time can be
    called a goal, enjoyable riding is my goal. Any health benefits are
    incidental, I have a Schwinn Airdyne in the basement for CV
    benefits etc. I cant enjoy the foliage, wildlife, waterfront or
    much of the other calming visuals available to me on a ride if I'm
    constantly monitoring Heart Rate, Cadence, Time and Speed. I find
    all that to be too distractive to my purpose for riding. As a youngster I
    used to ride all over the neighborhood just for the exhileration of the
    ride. I had no idea how far or fast I went and didn't much care. I
    monitor my mileage now mostly out of curiosity...high miles must
    have been a fun year. I've taken some long rides and reported them
    but really never felt driven to do so. It's usually more like a spur of the
    moment thing....good weather and no important commitments could
    lead to "Honey, I think I'll take a long ride tomorrow."

I guess if I was more mature, I'ld use my bikes in a manner to effect
    definate physical benefits to myself....but alas, I'm just a boy with his
    toys trying to escape a world full of seriousness for short periods of time.

Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even before I began actually riding again, I had the goal of making it to the town of Fairfax, California because that used to be the jumping off point to places further north for those centuries and double centuries.

Goals give me something to strive for both in distance and physical condition improvement.

knotty

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest reason for riding is also for the enjoyment. But, I do put more effort into it and therefore I feel I get more out of it,if there is a ride I am striving for. My sister and I have decided to do a local 12 hours race here next Fall, that is the kind of motivation I need to push myself. Riding for enjoyment is easy for me, but I would also like to be able to cover more miles, with the same amount of effort, and it seems to take a carrot dangling out there for me to do that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    In 2005 and 2006 my goal was to ride seven double centuries, and I did that, but I was unsuccessful in 2007, with only four doubles to date, and the Fall Solvang Double coming up on Oct. 20th. So, if I finish Solvang Fall under the time limit that will be five for 2007, and retain my Thousand Mile Club status (for the fourth straight year), i.e. 1,000 miles of doubles per year.

In 2007 I only rode one double with the "Extremely High Difficulty" rating. In 2008 my goal is to ride at least seven doubles, including two (Mulholland and Heartbreak) with the same high rating, two of which will also count for King of the Mountain points. So (if I can survive Breatless Agony - only 114 mi. 14,000 ft. of climbing) I will earn the CA King of the Mountain jersey.

In 2007 I rode the Mt. Tam double, even though it took me 17 Hrs. and 8 minutes to complete. Still, with so much climbing it was good training for the doubles on my "Goal List" for 2008!

Good to hear that lots of other 50+ riders are working on their climbing for 2007 - 2008!

Rick / OCRR
    You cwazy.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    You cwazy.
    Yes Terrierman,

That's possible. But remember too, that's a cultural definition .

Within the CA Double Century "culture" it's pretty much normal, even for old folks like us.

I'll probably keep doing doubles as long as I'm having fun riding them, and I seem to be
    having more fun each year!

Check out: www.caltriplecrown.org

and: www.caltriplecrown.com

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Rick is a real slacker. Only 2 with Extremely high Difficulty. Seriously, I like to see a nice guy do so well. Rick, Breathless Agony will be a cruise for you, I mean, I did it, so you can do it easily.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes big john,

I did Breathless Agony in 2005 and 2006 but didn't ride it in 2007. I know its do-able, I just hate the last 8 miles to Onyx Summit!

See you on Angels Crest on GMR sometime!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Yes big john,

I did Breathless Agony in 2005 and 2006 but didn't ride it in 2007. I know its do-able, I just hate the last 8 miles to Onyx Summit!

See you on Angels Crest on GMR sometime!

Rick / OCRR
    Yeah, that last 8 miles is one of the hardest pieces of road I've ever travelled. I got to the point where I could actually see the top, riders standing around, etc. In my mind I still almost quit, but forced myself to go on because Sarah and Cathy were up there waiting for me, along with some Rice Crispie treats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the word "goal" is sometimes pretty hard to define. I prepare for cycling events with the intention of enjoying the ride and not dragging my friends down or embarrassing myself. I don't really consider that a goal.

I don't believe I've ever used cycling to accomplish something outside of the actual cycling experience.

I see good health as a bonus, not a goal. I would still ride...even if it was unhealthy.
    Last edited by Louis; 10-08-07 at 05:10 PM.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I got my exercise by being a Soccer Referee goals were very important. Now that I ride a bike its more for fun.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post

I don't believe I've ever used cycling to accomplish something outside of the actual cycling experience.
    You must have read the Dharma Bums one too many times. Get with the program, wierdo.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast