Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My doctor is wrong, cycling isn't a low-impact sport

Not when you hit the ground anyway. Luckily, I don't think anyone saw me, so except for the bruises & aches, I'm ok.

I've been resisting buying bike shorts & shirt for a whole list of reasons, 1) I'm a beginner and don't ride that far, 2) I don't really want my current-sized body in spandex, 3) I can't see spending a lot of money on something until I know it's going to be permanent, and 4) I don't even know what to look for.

However, after today, I think I'm going to invest in some clothing if for no other reason than to save me from broken bones. Because it was my long baggy shorts that got caught in the handlebars and sent me flying. And because my shorts were caught, I couldn't use my legs to stop anything and caught the full impact of the fall on my elbow. Apparantly I twisted my back and did something to my right leg too because they hurt right now too.

I don't think I'll be riding tomorrow. Do they make knee and elbow pads for cycling?

This is the worst fall I've had since the kitchen sink got stopped up and I couldn't get enough leverage with the plunger while standing on the floor. I won't go into that one.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long and baggy do shorts have to be to get caught in the handlebars?

My handlebars are 2-3" above my saddle, I would have to be some kind of contortionist to get my shorts up there.

Hope you heal quickly from your fall.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The top is even with the seat & the curved part is lower, and I was pedaling off the seat & probably leaning forward. I'm not sure how it happened really but was beginning a turn. Maybe I'm just a klutz. My shorts are knee length.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See ... one more reason to resist the use of drop bars!

I will add this to my list.

My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a tumble two days ago I was offroad and about to stop but couldn't get my sneaker out of the clip in time to catch myself. Once I realized it was inevitable I just relaxed and rolled with the fall. No broken bones but my knee got scraped up quite a bit.

I mentioned it to my grandaughter yesterday and she prompty asked "Where's the boo boo?" So I showed her my knee with the big band aid on it and she was very impressed

Of course if the weather wasn't so warm I would've been wearing knickers and gotten through this scrape free. Maybe a change in weather will solve your shorts dilemma too. Then all you'll have to worry about will be getting your cuff caught in the chain

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntieM View Post
    I don't think I'll be riding tomorrow. Do they make knee and elbow pads for cycling?

This is the worst fall I've had since the kitchen sink got stopped up and I couldn't get enough leverage with the plunger while standing on the floor. I won't go into that one.
    I'd like to hear that story, maybe accompanied by an adult beverage...

There's a guy who rides in our group rides who wears elbow pads. His elbows extend out from his body at 90*. I don't know why he can't/won't tuck them in, but he doesn't, and thus not only looks funny, he pretty much clears the cyclists from his path when he comes up the middle of a paceline.

Having had both sides of my body bruised, bashed and scraped this year, the only advice I can give you is to relax when you know you can't control anything. Going limp reduces injury (at least, that's what my former-rodeo-riding-husband tells me).

Hope you recover soon.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, if your seat was 13" off the ground, falling would be a non-issue, more like rolling over in bed.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been resisting buying bike shorts & shirt for a whole list of reasons, 1) I'm a beginner and don't ride that far, 2) I don't really want my current-sized body in spandex, 3) I can't see spending a lot of money on something until I know it's going to be permanent, and 4) I don't even know what to look for.

However, after today, I think I'm going to invest in some clothing if for no other reason than to save me from broken bones. Because it was my long baggy shorts that got caught in the handlebars and sent me flying. And because my shorts were caught, I couldn't use my legs to stop anything and caught the full impact of the fall on my elbow. Apparantly I twisted my back and did something to my right leg too because they hurt right now too.
    Glad you're okay.

Once you've tried those cycling shorts you'll never look back. They make such a difference even on those shorter rides.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I'd like to hear that story, maybe accompanied by an adult beverage....
    Me, too
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One solution is to buy compression shorts, then wear very short baggy shorts over them. Even loose tops aren't a great idea on a bicycle; a close fitting top made of a moisture wicking material is better.

And that's all stuff you can find inexpensively at places like wally world. Lots of us waited until we had some of the weight off before buying more expensive cycling clothes (but they are better). Glad you weren't seriously hurt.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I'd like to hear that story, maybe accompanied by an adult beverage...
    Me three.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    Me three.
    Make it four.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want in on that tale and drink, make it five!

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <eagerly listening with a beer in hand>
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really have to.

You can get baggy cycling shorts, the have a inner part that has a chamois, and are tight, and an outer part that look somewhat like regular shorts. Not knee length of course.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Make it four.
    Five
    George

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worn Lycra shorts ever since my second ride on a bike but I did buy a pair of baggies once to look "Cool" on the Mountain bike at an organised Enduro. Those things are lethal. I kept catching the nose of the saddle in the Excess material- So I Got rid of them after that one ride.

I know the female anatomy is different but How did you get caught on the bars? What antics were you getting up to on that ride?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan