Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went for a wee gasp ... err ... ride

Beautiful day here in Adelaide. Lots of blue clouds. Light breezes. Birds singing. And the lass went back to her mother yesterday so the lad and I are on our own and can go for some long rides.

Only we can't go for too many long rides together. He plays club soccer and now is the time for trials for next year. He's trying out for two clubs and starting wednesday, he has eight trial sessions (of 2+ hours) over the next week and a bit.

So I scrapped my plans to go exploring the Adelaide Hills with him.

Today though, we hopped on the bikes and headed off down to Willunga. Just a gentle roll through the countryside, a Pasty at the bakery and then return home. That was the plan.

Well, we went through the countryside and had our Pasty (they were out of Cornish Pasties ). The 'gentle' bit possibly needs a bit of revision, though it was gratifying to see the lad working harder than me for a change (though he lasted better).

Total distance: 68km (40 miles) His longest ride to date.
    Ave Speed there: 24 km/hr (15 mph)
    Ave Speed on the return: 22 km/hr (14 mph) - the last 20km (13 miles) of the ride is a steady climb and that always takes it out of you.

Now for the fun bits. Remember, I was going to be a 'good' boy wasn't I.
    On the way there, my average HR was a nice 139 (over the hour and a half). Burnt just over 1000 calories.
    But, on the way back, the 'good boy' grew horns. I averaged 154 No wonder I feel tired. Burned 1500 calories on the way back.

I leapt on the scales when I got home - I'd lost just over kg on the ride ... and I reckon most of that was still in my jersy.

So the numbers were fun. Should help with the weight loss, as long as I back it up with more riding in the days to come.

But best of all, it was a good ride with the lad. The weather was perfect. Lots of birds to watch, many of them pushing prams The Lorikeets were out in force, as were the Magpies (which weren't swooping thank goodness). A few family groups meandering all over the bike track (it is still school holidays here) - why is it fathers on bikes rival teenage girls with Ipods for the 'lack of consideration' award?

The lad's now hoping he'll be recovered for his first soccer trial tomorrow evening - I keep telling him he'll be fine, but he's not convinced.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate rides where the return trip is uphill. You maintained a pretty good pace on that portion.

Ah, Cornish Pasties. Yum, Yum. There is a town near me, Mineral Point, which was founded by immigrants from Cornwall, England. They were employed as lead miners for several decades. Our State Historical Society still has portions of the mine and their earliest homes open for tours. Several of the town's buildings were made out of beautiful cut stone by those miners. One of the lasting traditions is that several places in that town still make great Cornish Pasty.

http://mineralpoint.com/living_histo..._downtown.html

It tastes great, but I usually go for the lower fat version. The original recipe uses lard and a lot of fat. But it is wonderful.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 10-09-07 at 01:18 PM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When will people learn-- If you are going out with a youngster- you go out to kill them on milage and not speed or hill climbing. They have a streak running through them called Pride and they do not like to be beaten by Dad- Or the old Bloke- or anyone that looks a bit overweight. They put a lot of effort into the first 20 miles of a ride (Or 40 on the road) and you have to wait for the vital signs before you put the pressure on them.

They drop back to you on the hills- to give you a bit of company. They start getting a tow on the flat- to see your pedalling stroke- or the one where you know you have got them- Their gears are causing a problem but you carry on and I'll catch you up.

Sounds a good ride with the son- but make the most of it. Before long he will be fitter than you and then he will be going out with you- just to keep you company- before he does his real ride of 30 miles up the steep hills- or the 50 after work or college to give him an appetite for dinner.

And as for those pasties- Too many companies making them over here of a mediocre quality but if you want the best "Tiddie Oggy" Go to devon- The adjacent county to Cornwall- and they do beat the originals.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lad's as fit as a mallee bull. I was amazed he showed any signs of tiredness yesterday and I can put that down entirely to him being soccer fit, not bike fit. Still, it was nice to show him how the old bloke can work for a change.

What passes for a Cornish Pastie here probably isn't, but they are very nice. We have a strong Cornish tradition here in South Australia thanks to the mining that went on early in the colony (South Oz was set up as and always was a free colony - we never had convicts, we used to transport them to the eastern states )

We don't see a lot pie in the shops, usually just apple made with that tinned muck that has you looking for the 'made in taiwan' sticker, but pasties and yeast buns (courtesy of the German migrants) are very strong. For me, the humble pastie is my equivalent to this forum's 'pie'. Yes, I am on record as having walked into a bakery, standing in stunned silence for a moment and then saying: "One of each please".

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it