Thread: f- 'em

My Bikes
    treks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

f- 'em

Recently after describing to my boss a spill on my daily commute he told me to "just act like the middle-aged man that you are and get a car" and to "accept that I'm on the negative-slope side of the maturity curve". I laughed it off since I had no choice, thinking to myself "yeah, I want to be more like you, you pouch-belly gas-hog ball of nerves and anger."

I wouldn't trade places with him for anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry about it

I have to pick up my paperwork from the office every so often, (I work and live onsite) I hate driving and love running errands on my bike. Used to be a bike messenger long ago. When I walk in the office I see people banging elbows and smirking. They act like I'm radioactive when I'm talking with them. It's ok cause then somebody will pop out of a cubicle and say hey what are you riding today? Your Trek or Klein, and say did you see the Vuelta Espana on Versus channel Sunday? So Cyclists are just aliens and we need suck it up and move on, to seek other aliens.....they're out there too : )
    Later, Pete

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a case of Jealousy to me. Also sounds like hes not smart enough to properly manage his time so he can do it too.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel so sorry for your boss.

I hope you came through the spill okay.

My bike is total crap
    My Bikes
    It's a serious piece of crap. Really. I'm not kidding.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When he says that, just forcefully vomit on his feet as he's finishing his sentence, and then look up and say "I'm sorry, you were saying?".

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    foton-you are just right!

Coyote!
    OK Foton, you're working the edges of something big and important here. Here's what happening. You are part of a demographic revolution. You and I and the other folks on BF50+ are re-writing the script on this gettin' old crap. To HELL with the sedentary life. . .to HELL with comfort. . .to HELL with safety at the cost of rusting away. I say to all those like your boss, "Maturity Curve THIS!!!!".

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, let 'em snark. No one where I work believes I'm 54. No one, and I mean NO ONE thinks my bike-commuting wife is 52. We're not even all that "athletic", just bike commuter and bike riders.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. that is, jealosy and a need to justify his own sad state of health.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get just the opposite at work. Everyone very supportive and encouraging. Of course, they don't want to do it themselves. Most people just look at me and say "That's great, but I don't like to drive my car that far..."

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, just as some bike riders like to coast down the "negative-slope" side of a hill, there are those select few who shift gears and keep on spinnin'

I'm ready to howl with Coyote! Maturity Curve this!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    foton, you'll have the last laugh if your boss is diagnosed with an illness due to his sedentary lifestyle. I see most cyclists in my part of the world on the lighter side of the scale but I also see some that way over the scale, at least they are trying to shave some of those excess baggage they carry.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to run the Inter- Depot challenges for my company and 12 years ago I decided we were going to do Mountain Biking. I participated in this one, instead of running it, and I can remember all the Youngsters smirking at the Old Bloke on my team. Some of those Youngsters are still with the company and are in positions of Authority. I don't get any comments about Cycling at the meetings- as They can still remember how much pain they went through trying to beat that old bloke up the hills.

And at those meetings- I look round the table and wonder how many of them will be around at 60.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah what an utter POS that boss...! So you are saying that after you told him of your spill those words /that "joke" were the first things he said to you? If so he is not only a jealous sad old man but also an utter insensitive clod. He could have at least asked if you were ok. When he gets (another) heart attack in the future just say "Why don't just accept you are a middle aged, unhealthy man and that we all have to die some time.. why fight it?".
    http://www.rhizomes.nl/twenty.html
    My Tweaked and modded Raleigh Twenty. Lots of pictures and lots of general info on for example a different & Cheap Bottom Bracket solution as well as fork solution.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote! View Post
    To HELL with the sedentary life. . .to HELL with comfort. . .to HELL with safety at the cost of rusting away. I say to all those like your boss, "Maturity Curve THIS!!!!".

But, I have to admit I see more support and envy that animosity. Still, those d*** heads who give you guff about acting your age are jerks.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At my place of employment I'm a fool for spending $1000 on my most recent
    bike purchase, according to the guy who just bought the $1000 T.V..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the '80s when I was bike racing, I broke several bones and lost a lot of skin from time to time. My secretary, who is about 2 weeks younger than me, commented that she grew up and put her bike away when she was about 15. My reply to her was that I hope that I never grow up to be as old as she is.
    Dennis T

Some call it God's country. I call it Acton, Maine
    My Bikes
    Too Many - 7 or 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will continue to hold onto the fantasy that i am still a kid by participating in at least one activity I truly enjoyed as a kid. As you said, F-em.
    Keep it 'tween the ditches

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big flaw to his logic was that he was encouraging you to cease an activity that decreases stress. As a boss, that makes no sense.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    The big flaw to his logic was that he was encouraging you to cease an activity that decreases stress. As a boss, that makes no sense.
    When did a boss ever make sense? (I say this as a supervisor myself).
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read Dilbert this week? The pointy haired boss just got on a rant about being healthy not being with the program!!!

Coyote!
    >>> encouraging you to cease an activity that decreases stress. As a boss, that makes no sense.

But you see Tom, to MOST of the folks out there, the relationship between physical activity and reduced stress [and all the other benefits] is abstract. The level of effort required to buy back 40 years of neglect places the whole idea in the realm of fantasy for them. Alcohol, tobacco, comfort, and NASCAR are the fallback position. . .a position the 'system' stands ready and willing to provide.

Yeah, I'm militant about this.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I wouldn't have enough energy to ride a bike home from work!". I hear that from a lot of the nurses that I work with. (Not all.)

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boss? Work? What are these things?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you hate having to bite your tongue because of their rank/position???
    These stories/experiences redirect my occasional "was retirement the smart/proper thing to do" uncertainty........yes retirement is good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast