Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good thing I don't make a living at this.

One of my friends called today. He broke one of the wheels I sold him. (one of my training wheels)

One snapped spoke and 2 kinked ones. I don't know what he hit but he was playing in the woods at night. Yes I have spares of the original spokes I can fix it. 1 hour good as new. (well I hedged and said that I can't guarantee the other spokes that look undamaged.) The charge.............

Did I mention that things that are fun as a hobby might not be practical as a job?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a nicer person than I am. He was "playing in the woods at night" and you fixed it? Wow.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is just to get him used to breaking things so someone can start charging on the continued breaks?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to be the unpaid mechanic for the neighbours kids and a few riding mates. Don't mind it but we have a strict rule on payment where I am. It is called the Barter System. Works a treat and When I do some more construction in the garden this winter- I will be calling in the I.O.U's

Then on top of that-I hate having to repair bikes on rides or just before a ride. I would much rather do it in the comfort of my Workshop with coffee to hand and in the warmth.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This friend is an Englishman...........he's daft..............he commutes on bikes I sold him almost every day of the year no matter what the weather. He enjoys riding in the rain and bumbling around in the woods at night on an MTB.

I get more real world testing done at no cost here than possible anywhere else.

1. One wheel damaged due to salt corrosion. Rebuilt with brass nipples, lesson learned about winter commuters.

2. One wheel damaged due to striking something made of wood in the dark. replaced 3 spokes.

3. One wheel set requiring retensioning after 2 years of commuting.

I suppose that since he pays for the materials that the value in lessons learned and free testing is priceless. After all, I may want to do this for a living someday after I retire. In the meantime, my equipment is built like the ones he doesn't break...........

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you accepting zero dollar orders? If so, let me know.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not at the moment. However if in the future you feel the need for a pair of carbon/ carbon spoked wheels for the railtrail and would be willing to foot the cost for materials then..............I would be interested in the experiment.

Now, where did I put those aerobars......

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'll be getting back to you on this!

Right after I get my carbon crankset and carbon Look pedals, I'll be needing those carbon-spoked wheels.

Do you make them in 20" sizes that will fit my recumbent? I'm sure that would save a couple of ounces and perhaps lower the total weight of my bent to under 40 pounds.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Yeah, I'll be getting back to you on this!

Right after I get my carbon crankset and carbon Look pedals, I'll be needing those carbon-spoked wheels.

Do you make them in 20" sizes that will fit my recumbent? I'm sure that would save a couple of ounces and perhaps lower the total weight of my bent to under 40 pounds.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely OT

Tom:
    I see you are running 20" wheels on your 'bent. What is the effect of smaller wheels on speed, hill climbing, etc. I am considering going 'bent, and have looked at a number of bikes, including a Rans Tailwind, but I am unsure of the smaller wheels. My biggest concern is being able to complete a couple centuries next year that will include some significant climbing.

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    geofitz13...I'll chime in here on 20/20 bents. I ride a Rans Rocket in a 20/20 wheelset. The gearing is made up with a 62 tooth big ring so gearing is close to a typical road bike. Climbing....That is why you have all them gears. It will really depend on the motor behind those gears, ie... your leg strength.

Speed up hill will depend on your conditioning, you should be able to have greater speed going back down though due to better aero.

For me, the Tailwind was a little too long and whippy. The Rocket on the other hand is quicker handling and feels better to me.

A V-Rex though in the 20/26 wheel config might be a better option for some folks. The problem there is having to use 2 different tube sizes which I don't care for.

I've done 40-62 mile runs on the Rocket with no problem, staying with groups or slightly quicker on my own. I don't see a problem with doing a Century at all.

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geofitz13,

Gearing a 20-inch drive wheel has some consequences. Most bent riders try to max out the gear *range* and in that respect 20-inchers are at a disadvantage. With a 26 or 27 inch/700C drive wheel, typical chainrings are 30/42/52 but with a 20-inch they are 39/52/62 to get in the same neighborhood for high gear. Front derailleurs work best with a 10-12 tooth difference between rings. Problem is, with the larger rings, that 10-12 tooth difference represents a smaller % of gear change. So the upshot is, 20" drive wheels suffer from reduced gear range. Whatever you do to reduce/eliminate the disadvantage can also be done to the larger wheels, which puts you right back where you started, namely at a disadvantage. Of course, it's only a problem if you're trying to push the envelope. Many people are happy with the gear range available. Other disadvantages of 20" would be higher rolling resistances and faster tire wear. I think there's exactly one model of tire available for ISO 406 rims that's narrower than 28mm but plenty of fat tires available.

I'd say that the advantages of 20" would be compact size, which manifests as a shorter bike and a lower seat, and in the case of dual-20, only having to worry about one size tire/tube. (The last is also true of dual-24, dual-26, etc.) Weight savings for 20", IMHO are insignificant due to the unavailability of skinny, lightweight tires in that size.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What they said!

While I have a 20/20 bent, I'm not the one you would seek advice from if you need info about riding it hard. I can say that mine has a 53/42/30 crank and I could see a stronger rider running out of gears real quick on it. Going downhill, even I have had it in top gear. And the lowest gears are so low that it is almost impossible to stay balanced when using them - especially given that it has a MTB 11-32 cassette on it. Thie lowest gear is only 18.75 gear inches.

My bent was designed as an off-road bent, so the gearing approximates what one would find on a mountain bike.

As a recreational rider, I like the gearing. Someone looking for performance would find it sorely lacking.