Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silver Comet/Chief Ladiga birthday rides

I rode my age +10 twice Sunday and Monday with my son coming along to keep me company. The following is a ride report I have posted in a few different places.

BTW, no pie, but I had a great Dark Chocolate Double Fudge milkshake at Steak 'n Shake after the ride.

My son and I had a very nice overnight bike trip to Anniston, AL and back Sunday and Monday (62 miles each way) thanks in large part to ideas and info posted here on the SBL forums. We left Rockmart around 10:45 Sunday morning after the long drive up from Milledgeville.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesda...7602336662645/

The first few miles of the Silver Comet beyond Rockmart is surprisingly hilly compared to the trail out to that point. Much of it runs along the side of a highway and is at road grade rather than railroad grade. None of the hills are long, but I imagine many casual riders used to flat rail/trails might have to walk up a couple of them. Even a hill climbing machine like my son can get caught by surprise in the wrong gear and struggle on the one about a mile out.
    The detour on regular roads to connect the gap between Rockmart and Cedartown was very nice, scenic and low traffic. It was also a bit hilly. More like what I'm used to at home. No problem for us, but flatlanders should be aware.

The trail into and through Cedartown is an awkward mix of nice trails, sidewalks and on road sections. The Depot in Cedartown is very nice with A/C and bathrooms inside and lots of shade and water available outside even when the depot is closed (as it was on sunday). That is important as it is about 30 miles to Piedmont AL and the next sure source of water.

Watch out for locals on the trail as you leave Cedartown. A family was under a bridge fishing and a baby in a stroller was parked taking up half of the trail as the mother sat by smoking a cigarette.

After a few more hills, the trail flattened out to railroad grade. Somewhere along in here there was a black and white cat asleep in the middle of the trail. I thought it was hurt, but it got up and came over to us like it expected to be petted or fed. The cat was in the same spot when we returned Monday.

There is shade and places to sit just over the Alabama border at the beginning of the Chief Ladiga Trail, but no water. Make sure you have at least 2 bottles full as you leave Cedartown on the way out or Piedmont on the way back. I finished my second bottle each day just as I got to the next town on that stretch.
    The scenery from the border to Piedmont was great. Lots of shady sections and cuts into rock walls to make way for the rail line kept it cool on a hot day. There were some nice views from the bridges that crossed the creek than runs along the trail.

The welcome center was open in Piedmont and they told us how to get to the Cafe, near the Civic Center. Mostly fried food, but the grilled chicken fingers and salad were not bad. There was a small amount of tea in the glass of sugar they brought me. The service was friendly and attentive. The recommended Rock Solid Cafe was closed on Sunday and Monday.

The Ladiga trail is narrower than the Comet and is all asphalt. There were a few places where roots seem to be crawling under the trail, cracking the surface and making for small sharp jolts to bikes riding over. It was not bad on my old steel bike with fat rubber, but on a more rigid frame and narrow, high pressure tires, it might be more noticeable. The worst of it was from about mile 18 to 23, but there were some outside that range.

The trail through Jacksonville and on to Anniston was nice but uneventful. At the end of the trail in Anniston, we turned left and then right to follow Weaver Road into Anniston. At the end of that road we turned right on the highway and rode a hundred yards or so to the Royal Inn to stay the night. We did not have a Jacuzzi in our room, but the A/C and the swimming pool water was cold, the shower water was warm, the room and sheets were clean and the beds were comfortable. The TV worked. The Chinese buffet next door was good enough.
    There is a Krystal and a McDonalds a short walk up the highway for breakfast. The motel had free coffee, juice and muffins.

The ride back was like the ride out except it started flat and ended with hills.

Benny
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 10-10-07 at 06:05 AM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent report and pix, Dawg. Looks like you guys had a great time. Congrats!!

Sweet tea... the house wine of the South.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    There was a small amount of tea in the glass of sugar they brought me.

I have discovered the wonder of asking for water, no ice. Amazing how easy it is to screw that one up..

Outstanding ride and ride report. Bless you my sons!
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great report and pictures.

My daughter and I started our ride in Rockmart a few years ago but we headed in the other direction. The weather wasn't quite as nice for us
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking riders and trails!!

Is the trail you road alongside the road that goes from Piedmont to Anniston by chance? I've been down and ridden the Cheaha out of Piedmont a couple times and noticed a nice paved trail on the road between the two towns. I bet there is some really nice stretches to ride around Piedmont.

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Ride! Steak n Shake is one of my favorite places. Wish we had them in East Tennessee.
    "Put me on a highway. Show me a sign. Take it to the limit one more time"
    -The Eagles

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You raised that young man right!
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Is the trail you road alongside the road that goes from Piedmont to Anniston by chance? I've been down and ridden the Cheaha out of Piedmont a couple times and noticed a nice paved trail on the road between the two towns. I bet there is some really nice stretches to ride around Piedmont.
    Yes, the trail did run beside a road for some stretches, but the nicer parts of the ride were when it veered away from the busy road. I noticed several back roads along the way that looked like they would be a lot fun to ride.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyTopBiker View Post
    Great Ride! Steak n Shake is one of my favorite places. Wish we had them in East Tennessee.
    BTW, congrats on your team's recent success over mine.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a beautiful place to ride and you look good in that red jersey. Are those cobble stones in your drive or part of the path. Anyhow riding with your son like that, will make him go in the right direction as life goes on. Congratulations on a great team ride. Oh by the way, starting your son that early should make him into a pretty good road racer.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Looks like a great ride, and with your son. How great is that!

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BlueDawg,
    Congrats for a fine ride. There is nothing like riding with your kids . . .
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"