2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Just askin'
    Ride to the dealership and check it out. Best way to know.
    Lotsa options for floor mounting a bike without making any holes
    in the vehicle too. Safest place to transport a valuable bike has
    got to be inside a vehicle for several reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying that you can't tell if a bike will fit inside a vehicle by the cubic inch specifications that a manufacturer lists on their website? And that you have to take a tape measure and go from dealership to dealership begging salesmen to unlock vehicles so you can measure the cargo areas so you can find out what the length and height of the cargo areas are?

Because if thats what your saying, your correct. No one ever lists the actual width, height and length of a cargo area. Not the manufacturer and even more puzzling not car reviewers either. All you ever get is cubic inches which is useless when trying to figure out is a specific sized cargo (bicycles) will fit.

P.S. as a tip check out the size of the door too as you have to get it in through that opening.

For people who have found that the safest way to transport a bike is inside the vehicle, the new slopping roofs on some of the newer SUVs is bad news.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear View Post
    Are you saying that you can't tell if a bike will fit inside a vehicle by the cubic inch specifications that a manufacturer lists on their website? And that you have to take a tape measure and go from dealership to dealership begging salesmen to unlock vehicles so you can measure the cargo areas so you can find out what the length and height of the cargo areas are?
    I took my bike with me when I was shopping for a new van. If it didn't fit I wasn't buying it
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Just askin'

Only if it is not a white bike.

But, for those with other than white bikes I did a "Google Search" and here is the response I found:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/toyot...ection-52.html

- Inside the Car -- One or maybe two bikes should fit in the back of a
    4-door RAV4 with the rear seats folded up, more easily with the rear seats
    removed. If you need to carry more stuff or require the back seats for
    passengers, or if you have a 2-door RAV4, consider one of the
    outside-the-vehicle options.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-11-07 at 06:17 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

- Inside the Car -- One or maybe two bikes should fit in the back of a
    4-door RAV4 with the rear seats folded up, more easily with the rear seats
    removed.
    If you need to carry more stuff or require the back seats for
    passengers, or if you have a 2-door RAV4, consider one of the
    outside-the-vehicle options.[/I]

Removing the rear seats in many vehicles in a pain. Once removed you need someplace to store them, too Rear seats that fold down into the floor are a nice feature to have.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, one of my neighbors does it all the time. I think she must lay the seats down. I have a 4 runner and when I lay the seats down I don't have to take the wheel off.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to remove the front wheels and clamp the fork so the bike stays in place and upright. I really don't consider laying a bike on its side as an option unless it has an internal hub. Otherwise your just asking for shifting trouble because of a bent (or broken) derailuer mount.
    bike carrier0003.JPG

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wait an hour or two I'll go out and see if my 60 cm Merlin will fit in wife's 07 RAV 4. I'll try it with the back seats up first and then down. I'll try it with the bike upright and laying flat. I'll also give you measurements if you want them

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a Toyota Rav 4, 2007 model. When the back seats are down, it definitely can fit a bike, even with the front tire on. There is room to spare but the bike has to be pushed all the way in.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can easily put TWO bikes in the back of my wife's Prius, with the seats down! So shouldn't be any problem with a RAV 4.
    A year ago I saw a guy who carries his recumbent trike in a hatchback Honda Civic. Only took off the rear wheel, too.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    I own a Toyota Rav 4, 2007 model. When the back seats are down, it definitely can fit a bike, even with the front tire on. There is room to spare but the bike has to be pushed all the way in.
    I just went out and tried my bike. It will not fit fully upright with the front wheel on or off. However, it is very close with the front wheel off and my bike is big. My bike is 39 1/4 inches from floor to top of saddle with the front wheel off and the 2007 RAV appears to have about 38 1/2 inches of room from floor to roof in the rear (with the extra carpet like mat in place). SO most bikes would fit upright. I would add that the RAV 4 is a very nice vehicle IMO (we got it when so young guy went through a stop sign, hit my wife and totaled our Nissan Sentra - no damage to wife).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to remove the front wheels and clamp the fork so the bike stays in place and upright. I really don't consider laying a bike on its side as an option unless it has an internal hub. Otherwise your just asking for shifting trouble because of a bent (or broken) derailuer mount.
    bike carrier0003.JPG
    Hey Gear - that looks like a nice setup. What vehicle is that? Also, what is the mounting board - custom built or part of the vehicle?

I've currently got a Durango that I just lay the bike down in, but I'm going to buy a new vehicle soon, and would like to have an interior retention system like yours.

And Garfield, when you say that your bike will fit, is that upright or laying down? I assume laying down. Even so, with my '98 Durango, I usually take off the front wheel when putting bike in back and I still need to have part of the second row of seats folded.

Thanks!
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    bike carrier0003.JPG
    I like this setup. I see that you staggered the bikes to get the handlebars to overlap. If less room is available, the fork mounts can be screwed to the board at about a 30deg angle so the bars are at an angle and overlap that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    Hey Gear - that looks like a nice setup. What vehicle is that? Also, what is the mounting board - custom built or part of the vehicle?

I've currently got a Durango that I just lay the bike down in, but I'm going to buy a new vehicle soon, and would like to have an interior retention system like yours.

And Garfield, when you say that your bike will fit, is that upright or laying down? I assume laying down. Even so, with my '98 Durango, I usually take off the front wheel when putting bike in back and I still need to have part of the second row of seats folded.

Thanks!
    I have an Isuzu Trooper, its been a good vehicle except it likes a new head gasket every 40K and it only gets 15mpg (I'm waiting for diesels before I replace it). Its real tall and so are my bikes so thats a nice fit.

I made the mount setup. I purchased the clamps and mounted them to a board which is attached to tie down bolts that Isuzu placed in the back. They are staggered so I can bring my MBT, my roadie and the folding city bike you see pictured on trips (the commuter stays home and watches my TV).

There are a lot of plusses to keeping a bike inside a vehicle but the best is you can leave the vehicle unattended and go off and do things without much worry. I also have a very visible cable lock so if someone spies the bikes inside they know it won't be an easy theft.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a '99 Rav 4 in my fleet and I guess I'd say it depends on the frame size and how you'd like to put it in (upright versus laying over). No problem with getting one in and laying it over on the non-drive side but you need to remove the back wheel and turn the front wheel 90 degrees to the frame. If you're wanting to stand it up my larger 62 frame will not sit upright because of the saddle. I'm sure with both wheels off it would sit upright but then you have the grease from the chain hitting the carpet....put down a vinyl mat.

That's one of the reason I continue to drive my van with 460,000 miles, I can just roll the bike in the back and bungee cord it to the side so it's always upright........and always with me!!!!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bike carrier0003.JPG
    To stand the bike upright like that, you need about 4' of interior vertical clearance. That eliminates most SUV's. You need a mini van or something like a Honda Element.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which year RAV4 are you talking about? A new one? I believe the pre-2006 models were significantly smaller. I've looked over the small to midsized wagon/SUV market and feel the new RAV4 is one of the very best choices out there. Reliable, decent gas mileage, comfortable, and has a fair amount of room - especially if you remove (or not opt for) the third row of seating.

It should fit one way or the other. My slightly-compact LWB (wheelbase is approx 1500cm) recumbent fits (just barely) into my Acura Integra hatchback, with the front wheel removed & the seat laid back (on the bent), the rear seats folded & front seat leaning forward in the 'Teg. If the bike were 1" longer or even 1/2" taller, it wouldn't fit. Or if the seatback on the bent were 1" wider, the hatch wouldn't close.

So if I can get an extra-long, extra-wide bike into a small two-door sports coupe, you should be able to get a standard bike into a SUV.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 10-11-07 at 11:07 AM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post

That's one of the reason I continue to drive my van with 460,000 miles, I can just roll the bike in the back and bungee cord it to the side so it's always upright........and always with me!!!!
    I've gotten two mtn bikes and two roadies upright in my Dodge Caravan.
    +1
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Which year RAV4 are you talking about? A new one? I believe the pre-2006 models were significantly smaller.
    No, I'm looking used at several different year models. I've always fancied the styling of the RAV4 and think it's a bit better looking than the Element, which I've also considered and it wins by a smidgeon over the CRV, another car I like. Looks aren't everything, of course. But I'm convinced almost anything from Toyota or Honda, especially used, is a safe bet. I even test drove a brand new 2008 Toyota Yaris, which is cute and rather fun and gets great mileage, but then I figured for the same money, or less, I could get a better vehicle by going used.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have smaller cars over here- but went to a Race meeting once and one of the competitors turned up with his mate- And two MTB's across the back seat- The car was an austin mini- the original form.

I have what we call an MPV- Multi purpose vehice. 7 Seaters and the rear seats fold down Flat. Take the wheels off and I can get 3 bikes upright inside- across the car. Tandem I can get inside but Passenger seat has to go fully forward so that is normally transported on the roofrack.

Only problem I find is that bikes get dirty and I always manage to Get the geasy chain up against the Trim somewhere- So I prefer to carry the bikes on a Rear mounted rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, a small-enough bike in a large enough RAV4.

If you take off the front wheel you should not have difficulty fitting one bike with the rear seats folded down. If it were me buying the car, I'd take my bike to the dealership. The new RAV4 is larger than the older models, though.

-soma5

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I also drive a full size Ford van, new by your standards with only 189,000 miles. I can haul 8 bikers and 8 bikes, 5 inside With the front wheels removed and three on the rack. Once when shuttling for a hike, we crammed 21 people inside!! Most never came back a second time.
    "Put me on a highway. Show me a sign. Take it to the limit one more time"
    -The Eagles

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    To stand the bike upright like that, you need about 4' of interior vertical clearance. That eliminates most SUV's. You need a mini van or something like a Honda Element.
    I put bikes in my PT Cruiser all the time.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyTopBiker View Post
    I Once when shuttling for a hike, we crammed 21 people inside!! Most never came back a second time.
    That's because 12 of them died on the first trip!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast