My Bikes
    One at a time these days
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

advice?-new cush for the tush

Hi Folks,

Am seeking a more butt-friendly saddle for my new mount. There must be at least 2 million road saddles out there and I dont have it in me to surf/research this one. So best I come to my peers for experience and recommendations. Me:51, 160# on average, in darn good shape thank you... currently aluminum frame.

I'd prefer a lighter saddle (as light as possibly actually) that truly offers shock/vibration control.

many thanks

k

My Bikes
    Eriksen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mcm.com is the site you may want to check out. Selle An-Atomica, best I've ever ridden by far but it's not the lightest you can buy, which in mind isn't of great importance anyway.

My Bikes
    EPX 303 (You probably never heard of it)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikidoka View Post
    Hi Folks,

Am seeking a more butt-friendly saddle for my new mount. There must be at least 2 million road saddles out there and I dont have it in me to surf/research this one. So best I come to my peers for experience and recommendations. Me:51, 160# on average, in darn good shape thank you... currently aluminum frame.

I'd prefer a lighter saddle (as light as possibly actually) that truly offers shock/vibration control.

many thanks

k
    Assuming, of course that the other components of bike fit are okay, (seat height, etc), there may be some mis-match between your tush and the saddle. First, to disspell the myth (they should have sent this one to Myth Busters), softer is not always better. It may work for some cyclists, but generally saddle comfort is a function of saddle "sweet spot" to sit bone match. If you sit on a hard, flat surface while wearing cycing shorts, you can reach back and feel where your sitbones impact the hard surface. Mark the two spots and measure the distance between them. Match that number against the sweet spot on any saddle under consideration. I used that test and found that a narrow,flat, hard saddle was actually more comfortable for me. In fact, in many cases, the "cushy material" of saddle pads only worsens the postion by providing material to be crammed against the perinal nerve that runs along the groin area. Pressure on this nerve can cause numbness, pain, and even "loss of essential function" AKA Erectile Dysfunction (If you know what I mean).

I have been there with my new saddle on a multi day event. I was numb for months, before being able to "return to action".

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to try out all of the saddles in alphabetical order. I quit looking when I got to the "B"s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velotel View Post
    mcm.com is the site you may want to check out. Selle An-Atomica, best I've ever ridden by far but it's not the lightest you can buy, which in mind isn't of great importance anyway.
    I have about 100 miles on a new Selle An Atomica, and agree completely with Velotel. Very much a suspension seat...smooths the ride out considerably.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here was my answer to the great saddle search....

Comfy.

For my Hard Rock, I'm still looking. Currently running an Avocet 02, its just a little hard, but better than anything else I've tried.

My Bikes
    One at a time these days
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do I ever appreciate the humor... Good points all.

Artkansas...you are right on, I'm listing my bike on Ebay and getting a recumbent, why didn't I think of that sooner...

My set up is ok but I'll move things around a bit once again, my anatomy is forcing this decision I think. As for weight, yep agreed in the scheme of things, just gotta serve the techie in me. I will absolutely do the butt bone test...and use that as a benchmark. Yes, softer not always better, agreed.

I'll check out the An Atomica. Ialso noted a saddle called Koobi . Any pros/cons?

thanks a ton,

k

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What style of bike? Hybrid or MTB may require a wider saddle with a bit of padding- Road bikes something firm and the Tandem-Anything that you can remotely feel comfortable on.

The tandem does require a wide saddle that is well padded so Selle Italia Trans-Am for that one. For me the Road and MTB's have similar saddles- Selle Italia Max gel on the MTB- just a bit of Cushioning but not Much- The OCR has a San Marco "Aero" and this is a thin saddle that has a bit of foam in it. The Boreas has a Fizic Aliante- no padding- pretty firm but ane thing all my saddles have in common is the Cutaway for the Pelvic bone and they are all comfortable.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    One at a time these days
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    couldnt find a bike related site for mcm.com

k

My Bikes
    One at a time these days
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    found it...cool seat.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I decided to try out all of the saddles in alphabetical order. I quit looking when I got to the "B"s.
    Me too.

Anatomica is also a good choice. GeoLes is correct in busting the Myth, and in his comment on position vs. everything else.