Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to talk to a non-cyclist

Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that article and chuckled while reading about the person who asks how much your bike costs. I use a picture of my Madone as the screen saver on my computer at work. A co-worker saw it and made a comment about liking it but imagined it cost around $400-500 and she just couldn't see spending that much on a bike. I didn't say anything except I spent a lot of time on the bike and needed something that was reliable.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love it. Im going to adopt the 499 rule.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Love it. Im going to adopt the 499 rule.
    That is what I've paid total for 3 of my 4 bikes - $250, $200, and $50.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tell people that bikes cost about the same as a set of golf clubs. You can buy a useable set of brand new golf clubs for around $300 but the "good stuff" costs more.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Golf is what we used to compare Radio Controlled Airplanes to...........only without as much skill.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always love the response I get when I tell people I rode 70 (or 50 or 30 or 10) miles yesterday. It doesn't matter how much it is, but anything over a mile always elicits a gasp. And I never talk about price, even the 499 rule is more trouble than it is worth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just learned that I am not a cyclist.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this post is very relevant. I love the outdoors and cycling is my excuse to be outdoors. Funny is that my friends are golfers and nobody questions 4 hours on a golf course but tell someone that you bike for 4 hours and they think you are obsessive compulsive.
    Just a glimpse of our world: I biked two days ago near sundown. There was a heavy cloud cover except just over the horizon. The sun acted like a giant bright light and cast the whole world in gold. I was biking in south central WI which is turning colors. It was an extraordinary experience. How do I explain this to a non-cyclist? I did to my wife and she had tears in her eyes because she understood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know folks with $20,000+ bass boats that use them three or four times a year. These are the guys that wonder what kinda kook would spend over a grand on a bike.

I usually tell them that spending hard earned money on frivilous things amuses me.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    I just learned that I am not a cyclist.
    Any other dreams you wish for us to smash for you?

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The part about doping makes me wonder if we have some non-cyclists hanging out in road cycling.
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been reading Fatty for a year or two. He's a funny dude.

The problem with being a cyclist is that your snobbery tends to be hereditary. I bought my 11 y/o daughter a Trek 3700 yesterday, complete with 21 speeds (trigger shifters and Acera ders) and V-brakes. Cost 299 big ones. Three years ago I would have thought that was an insane thing to do.

And it lime green with little white flowers. I could never buy a white bike for a family member.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    I've been reading Fatty for a year or two. He's a funny dude.

The problem with being a cyclist is that your snobbery tends to be hereditary. I bought my 11 y/o daughter a Trek 3700 yesterday, complete with 21 speeds (trigger shifters and Acera ders) and V-brakes. Cost 299 big ones. Three years ago I would have thought that was an insane thing to do.

And it lime green with little white flowers. I could never buy a white bike for a family member.
    Understandable. You don't want them going faster than you.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Understandable. You don't want them going faster than you.
    I'm afraid it's too late for that!

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    especially on a white bike!!

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    I always love the response I get when I tell people I rode 70 (or 50 or 30 or 10) miles yesterday. It doesn't matter how much it is, but anything over a mile always elicits a gasp. And I never talk about price, even the 499 rule is more trouble than it is worth.
    Yeah, and whenever I tell a non-cyclist about my double centuries ("Really? 200 miles on a bike in one day?") they're just sort of stunned, as if they can't even imagine such a thing. I love it!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
    I think this post is very relevant. I love the outdoors and cycling is my excuse to be outdoors. Funny is that my friends are golfers and nobody questions 4 hours on a golf course but tell someone that you bike for 4 hours and they think you are obsessive compulsive.
    Just a glimpse of our world: I biked two days ago near sundown. There was a heavy cloud cover except just over the horizon. The sun acted like a giant bright light and cast the whole world in gold. I was biking in south central WI which is turning colors. It was an extraordinary experience. How do I explain this to a non-cyclist? I did to my wife and she had tears in her eyes because she understood.
    Tell them it's like the best sunset they've ever seen combined with the best rollercoaster ride combined with the best endorphin rush combined with the best.... Oh never mind. It's impossible to explain.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed at how many people blow a fuse when they hear what nice bikes cost these days. Adult toys have always been expensive, and bikes are no different. If you want nice and brand new, you are going to pay. If you can handle used, and do a little fixing/upgrading yourself, you will get a lot for a reasonable price. I have lost 60 lbs. and got my health back. I figure that't the 'profit' return on the purchase price. bk

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Yeah, and whenever I tell a non-cyclist about my double centuries ("Really? 200 miles on a bike in one day?") they're just sort of stunned, as if they can't even imagine such a thing. I love it!

Rick / OCRR
    It's not just "non-cyclists" who react that way. Don't let the fact that you can do it make you fail to appreciate how great an accomplishment it is.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post

Rick / OCRR
    Yeah, I missed this. Double Century? On my list to do things. My admiration. I did 170 and that was though, very difficult.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this was brilliant and plan to use it henceforth and forevermore:

"Few people ever own anything that works, fits, or looks as well as a truly well-built bike. And yet, when they find that your bike costs as much as their high-end computer or mid-range stereo, they will fake a heart attack, guaranteed.

The solution? Tell non-cyclists you paid $499.99 for your bike, no matter how much you really paid for it. This number has been scientifically formulated to sound like more than a non-cyclist would pay for a bike, without otherwise drawing attention to itself."
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm starting to see this happen. Unless you're talking to a cyclist you can't talk cycling. Running seems more socially acceptable. Thanks VERY MUCH for the golfing analogy RetroGrouch. That works well in the family I'm in as all the men in her life (father, brothers, sons) other than me played golf so the 4-5 hour comparison is terrific and as for money, our 2nd oldest (hers before our marriage) is a golf professional so you KNOW how much is spent there. Having lost 25 lbs to her 15 on our diet due primarily to cycling has gained grudging respect but I just say my ride was great, give a few details and try not to become a bore...er at least worse than I am now at least when I get excited about something I am ....I was going to use the word "passionate" about it but I am so tired of hearing it and don't have another word but you get the point. Now THAT was a run-on sentence.