Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, the aggressiveness of youth

Took the Europa for trundle today. In HILLS (she's fixed gear) Actually, I did a lot better than I expected, but that's another story.

Coming home along Chandler's Hill Road, there were a couple of teenagers on mtbs ahead, just fooling around as they pottered along. Nothing wrong with that except that they were all over the edge of the road and I had traffic coming up behind me so as I approached them, I called out 'excuse me' and then rode past at about 30 km/hr.

Just up the road a bit, one of them comes howling past me, head down over the bars, going like blazes. You guessed it, as he went past, I heard 'excuse me'.

Up the road a little bit, is a deepish dip onto a creek with a similar climb up the other side. The approved method of handling this is to go like the clappers down the hill and hope you coast up the other side. The lad starts to pedal a bit harder. I let the Europa wind up then thought, 'ahh stuffit' and poured on the coals. I ripped past him doing about 45 km/hr with a cadence up around 140 something (she's a fixie remember)

Funny, as I approached the roundabout a couple of hundred metres up the road, I turned to look for traffic (as you do before taking a lane), and they'd disappeared.

Richard

hey, it's not often I get away with things like that so it's nice to crow when I do
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone likes a good race, even if the other party doesn't know its a race. Always good to get the juices flowing
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    europa,
    I know what you mean. The almost identical thing happened to me with three mtbers about a month ago.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of weeks ago I was on the MUP cycling down for a coffee. Had a Mountain biker come flying past me- and I did not retaliate. 1/2 mile further on and there was a slope- I did not change speed from when he overtook me and caught and passed him up the slope. I just mentioned as I passed him that slicks work on Tarmac.

Just face it- and old Git on a bike is an easy target for the kids. They have to get their thrills somewhere- Just let them know you are not as easy as they thought.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek oclv 5000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 15 years ago when I was late 40's. I used to go on a lot of the charity ride in San Diego area. I rode an old mt bike, with slicks, 6 speeds and my early gray hair. I always started of at the back just because I liked catching and passing the youngsters that thought they were cool in all their gear. When I would catch them usually on a hill and pass I would usually say good morning or something pleasant. The look in their faces as I was talking would start to drive them on and as I dropped them you could see the wonder in their face as to how could that old codger pass me like that. The fun of organized rides.
    trekrider