Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike shopping this weekend

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 11:45 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm hoping to get in some bike shopping this weekend. I still like the Giant FCR1 W and I've tested a few other flat bar road bikes.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I am willing to consider a road bike with drop bars. Actually I rode one a few weeks ago ('round and 'round the LBS parking lot) and it felt good. It would have to have a relaxed geometry and fit me like the Giant FCR1. The Specialized Sequoia looks good on paper so I hope to be able to find that this weekend. (Tom, I think you recommended that to me a few weeks ago...), and then there is the Roubaix.

I'd like to do a little research and call around and know what to ask for. I have been searching the forums for about an hour and found a name or two (the Sequoia and a pair of Jamis bikes). What other relaxed geometry comfortable road bike should I look for?
Old 10-12-07, 12:22 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Good for you for experimenting! I hope you find a bike that suits you.

I abandoned my Specialized Hard Rock ('97 model) for a 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp. It's a women's specific geometry, which makes it comfortable for long (7 centuries) rides, as well as shorter, faster rides. It has been a reliable bike, performing well in a variety of circumstances.

I've ridden a few high-performance bikes this last year and was always happy to return to the DC. Like an old pair of shoes, it's comfortable and familiar and I know what to expect of it.

And I'm almost ready for an upgrade...
Old 10-12-07, 05:15 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably the two most popular are the Roubaix and the Trek Pilot. I think both even come in a womens (WSD) configuration. Specialized also has the Dolce which is the line below the Ruby, but I don't know much about them.

2013 Noah RS
Old 10-12-07, 05:17 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Donna has been very happy with her women's specific Lemond Reno, but I don't see it listed in their 2007 bike list, so maybe the women's Reno isn't available now?
Old 10-12-07, 05:42 AM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Trek Pilot offers relaxed geometry:
https://tinyurl.com/2qcmxj

Look around at bike shops for older models still available. For some reason Trek has drastically reduced the Pilot line for 2008 and only offers two models and 1 WS edition.

You may be able to find a 1.2, 2.1, 5.0, 5.2 or even a 5.9 out there somewhere (depending on what you want to spend). I think my LBS has a 1.2, 2.1 and 5.0 available, but think they are not WS versions.

Edit:
https://tinyurl.com/342pc3

Last edited by speedlever; 10-12-07 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-12-07, 07:27 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Roubaix Expert which I would highly recommend for ride comfort, relaxed riding position and performance. The Ruby is the version "engineered for women".
Old 10-12-07, 08:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An interesting turn for 2008 is that Trek has dropped most of their Pilot models. The have only 3 showing on the web site, one of which is "Women Specific Design".

Then they have series 1 and 2 and the Madone and all of them appear to have more relaxed geometry just looking at the pics. Even the Madone's have a sloping top tube these days.

What is going on?
Old 10-12-07, 10:06 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Sounds like not so much that they dropped models, but rather that they changed the names.
Old 10-12-07, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been very happy with my WSD Scott Contessa. I went from a MTB to my Contessa, and it has been very comfortable and a good learning bike. Also, it is white, so you have to be very careful, cuz it wants to go very fast!
Old 10-12-07, 10:12 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I've added those to my list.

In addition to WSD (if that's what I need), the main reason I want a relaxed fit is so I won't need to crane my neck at an uncomfortable angle while riding long distances. I've seen many photos of riders on road bikes who appear to be more upright and comfortable with elbows bent (I know, that's how they should be but it also looks comfortable as if they are barely reaching due to a comfortable fit) and don't look like they are climbing down a ladder head first.

Speaking of white bikes..... that Specialized Dolce is WHITE!
https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...sp?sid=08Dolce

Well, since I broke off the valve while adding air to my tires last night as I was preparing to go out for a ride... ), and Hubby left his riding clothes in the washer so they are still drying this morning....... I guess this will be a shopping day. When we go to buy a new tube, we'll check out the bikes.
Old 10-12-07, 10:20 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the womens models have the same geometry as the mens but they will go down in size below 52cm. Also they generally have smaller cranks, smaller bars and women specific saddles.

2013 Noah RS
Old 10-12-07, 10:31 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Sounds like not so much that they dropped models, but rather that they changed the names.
Yep, that's what they did. They did down-component the 2007 Pilot 1.2 WSD to the 2008 1.2 WSD. The 2008 2.1 WSD looks pretty nice.

I've seen some good deals on 2007 & 2006 Pilots. I had a chance to purchase a brand new 2006 for 50% off. If you could find a 2007 Pilot 2.1 WSD in your size at a discount, that could be a very nice option. It has a triple crank, Ultegra r.d., carbon seat stays, seatpost & fork, and good components elsewhere.

Likewise for a 2007 Specialized Dolce Elite or (especially) Dolce Comp.

And, of course, if you want to spend more then there are the Trek Madones and Specialized Ruby's.

I would also check out Cannondale if you have a nearby dealer. They have several nice WSD bikes in their Synapse and Six13 lines.

I do encourage you to at least test ride the women's designs in each line. It may turn out that a men's bike is fine for you, but I wouldn't go there unless I was sure of it. Don't buy something because it's a seemingly good deal. Make sure it is a good fit and you enjoy riding on it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-12-07, 10:36 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Most of the womens models have the same geometry as the mens but they will go down in size below 52cm.
Actually, this isn't true for many of the newer WSD bikes. The typical women has a higher percentage of her height in her lower torso, usually varies about 3%-4% from the typical man. So many companies are altering their geometries for women riders. A WSD bike in the same frame size as a man's bike will generally have a shorter top tube.

For example, take a Trek 2.3 in 54cm:

Mens: Top tube 53.8cm, wheelbase 98cm, head angle 73.0 degrees
WSD: Top tube 53.1cm, wheelbase 98.5cm, head angle 72.1 degrees

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-12-07, 10:39 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yen

Well, since I broke off the valve while adding air to my tires last night as I was preparing to go out for a ride... ),
Did you change to a presta tube when you recently upgraded your tires? Or did you somehow find a way to break a schroeder valve?
Old 10-12-07, 10:50 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I do encourage you to at least test ride the women's designs in each line. It may turn out that a men's bike is fine for you, but I wouldn't go there unless I was sure of it. Don't buy something because it's a seemingly good deal. Make sure it is a good fit and you enjoy riding on it.
I am planning to do that.... I want to be absolutely certain that the next bike is the best fit for me.
Old 10-12-07, 10:54 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Did you change to a presta tube when you recently upgraded your tires? Or did you somehow find a way to break a schroeder valve?
It's a presta valve (same as the one that came with the bike). I pushed too hard or wiggled it too much or something to get it on/off. I know how to use the pump, I've done it before, but I have a hard time getting it firmly in place on the valve. It was the tip that came off, and a tiny piece of it is broken. I was in a hurry to get out and ride. What's that saying...... haste makes waste?
Old 10-12-07, 10:58 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
D*mn presta valves!

Don't use them myself. My Trek 7600 originally had them, but the previous owner (owner of a bike shop) drilled out the rims for schroeder. He was a wise man.

Old 10-12-07, 10:59 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stand corrected

2013 Noah RS
Old 10-12-07, 11:06 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stonecrd
I stand corrected
What you said was true for many years. And I've heard LBS employees still saying it within the past year.

The new WSD bikes are a very good trend in the biking industry.

Old 10-12-07, 12:05 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
YEN

Do not get carried away this weekend and take the first bike that fits- You have plenty of choices so get out and try as many as you can. Try the variations on sizes if you can aswell. There are so many choices out there that it is confusing but there will be one bike you try that will stand out above the rest. If you don't find it this weekend- keep looking- it will be there.

Of course- the LBS will count just as much as the bike so choose that just as carefully- You will get the feel of the shop just as much as the bike. They will take just as much care of you and the fitting as they will over making a sale.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-12-07, 12:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
It's a presta valve (same as the one that came with the bike). I pushed too hard or wiggled it too much or something to get it on/off. I know how to use the pump, I've done it before, but I have a hard time getting it firmly in place on the valve. It was the tip that came off, and a tiny piece of it is broken. I was in a hurry to get out and ride. What's that saying...... haste makes waste?
Ack! Yeah, I did this, too, on my LeMond's front tire about a month ago.
Really cheesed me off but, yes, prestas do appear to be a bit "delicate"
I just rode on it until the pressure felt too low to ride on then I changed the tube. Put it off as long as I could, though.
Old 10-12-07, 12:38 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Ack! Yeah, I did this, too, on my LeMond's front tire about a month ago.
Really cheesed me off but, yes, prestas do appear to be a bit "delicate"
I just rode on it until the pressure felt too low to ride on then I changed the tube. Put it off as long as I could, though.
I wish I could have done that. As soon as I removed the pump, we immediately heard a loud "PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........................" and watched the rear tire go flat right before our eyes. We assumed the valve flew off like a projectile so we looked around the room for about 10 minutes for a teeny tiny brass object until I finally looked into the bottom of the valve end of the pump and there it was, embedded at the bottom at an angle. It appeared stuck and Hubby had to dig it out with a tiny tool. ACK! I wasn't happy (to say the least), but I kept telling myself it's all part of being a cyclist and to just go with the flow when this stuff happens, roll with the punches, etc. Otherwise, I believe it's things like that which can turn off a newbie/returning cyclist and make 'em think it's all too much trouble -- putting on the cyling uniform, filling the water bottles, checking the tires, adding air, then PSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH and the evening ride goes away as fast as the air leaves the tires.
Old 10-12-07, 01:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's so disappointing to be all psyched up and ready to roll and then... cyclist interuptus
I sure went through that when I got ready to take my Kaitai out and found a busted spoke.
So, took the wheel out to get fixed and two weeks later got ready to roll and... another busted spoke. Two of 'em, in fact. Dang!
Well, it's one good reason to have more than one bike, hey?
Old 10-12-07, 08:07 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
It's so disappointing to be all psyched up and ready to roll and then... cyclist interuptus
I sure went through that when I got ready to take my Kaitai out and found a busted spoke.
So, took the wheel out to get fixed and two weeks later got ready to roll and... another busted spoke. Two of 'em, in fact. Dang!
Well, it's one good reason to have more than one bike, hey?
You bet!
Old 10-12-07, 08:23 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Speaking of which, don't forget the Lemond Reno WSD. It's a good bike.

My oldest daughter bought one and then got pregnant.

Just sayin'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.