Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Skunk Trifecta

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skunk Trifecta

I bike commute. On Wednesday I often am riding along suburban Northern California trails at 1 AM. This last Wednesday I saw, way too close, not one, or two, but three skunks, about two miles apart.

I keep thinking, "What if I care or annoy one?" I'd be throwing out a lot of expensive bike wear, and who knows how the bike would fare...

All in all, I like seeing the owls and coyotes a lot more.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    I bike commute. On Wednesday I often am riding along suburban Northern California trails at 1 AM. This last Wednesday I saw, way too close, not one, or two, but three skunks, about two miles apart.

I keep thinking, "What if I care or annoy one?" I'd be throwing out a lot of expensive bike wear, and who knows how the bike would fare...

All in all, I like seeing the owls and coyotes a lot more.
    We have a Song over here about Magpies and the quantity you see them in. So what is seeing 3 skunks- lucky or Unlucky?- Or are you buying the new cycle gear?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At lkeast you saw them in time for evasive action. It is really uncomfortable to see and smell them at the same time.....tomoto juice does NOT work to eliminate the smell.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This solution works pretty well but depends on the H2O2/bicarb mix being fresh to the point of still bubbling.

In a plastic bucket mix 1 quart of fresh hydrogen peroxide (not that bottle in the back of the cabinet), a quarter cup of baking soda, and a squirt or two of dish washing soap.

The mixture will bubble. Thoroughly wet the victim in this mixture, taking care to keep it out of the eyes. Pour it on and rub. Use a sacrificial rag or two. Rinse and repeat.

This first time I tried this, I used an old bottle H2O2 and the results (on a cat, mind you) were not excellent. A repeat using fresh H2O2 made a huge difference, leaving just a hint of skunk behind. And yes, thank you, my scars have all faded.

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    This first time I tried this, I used an old bottle H2O2 and the results (on a cat, mind you) were not excellent. A repeat using fresh H2O2 made a huge difference, leaving just a hint of skunk behind. And yes, thank you, my scars have all faded.
    Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found 3 skunks so far on my commmute into work. I posted this a while back

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=334216

I think that is the closest I have come to getting hit or should I say sprayed.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are skunks in our neighborhood. I smelled one as walked to the car as I left for work. I wondered "what if I get sprayed as I get into the car? Would I ever get the smell out of the car?... my hair?... my clothes????" I have also smelled the odor in the neighborhood while riding at night. They are cute little critters though.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker